Time

wicka

How much time do you spend in a stand before you move on if nothing comes in?

After you tag one on a stand do you call a while longer before moving on?
thanks

It depends on lots of things. If I have a lot of locations to hit for the day I give it about 20 minutes. If I only have a few to hit I will give it longer to get the most out of each spot.

As far as after I have shot a coyote, I like to call and give it about 5 minutes. I started this after I got a suppressor. Before that I did not call after I had fired a shot.

Keep calling even after you have taken a shot. Many times we have killed 1 more or 2 more coyotes after killing the first coyote that showed up.

I use to call for about 15 minutes before I would give up on a stand. Now that I am older and not in a hurry I will stay on stands 20 to 25 minutes.

I'll endure the slowest coyotes and stay up to an hour in case my calling wasn't the best sounding meal.
I have left stand after 30 minutes and met a coyote coming in.
I have also had coyotes walk in looking 5-10 minutes after calling.

It depends for me. Rarely do I give a stand less than 15 minutes and almost all stands get at least 20 minutes. Some days I give all my stands 30 or more minutes. My general rule is to give more time on stands in January and February than I do in October in November. I think they come in slower and more cautious when they have been educated by other coyote callers.

Some days I just enjoy taking my time on each stand instead of rushing to get to the next stand. On some early season stands I feel like I'm wasting my time spending more than 10 minutes on a stand but I still have many early season coyotes show up at 12-15 minutes so I will still give those stands at least 15 minutes.

Yesterday I mentally gave up on a stand after 22 minutes but forced myself to give it at least one more minute. A couple minutes later I was about to stand up when noticed a coyote coming in and was able to get him with my shotgun. If I had given up on that stand, the coyote would have came over the hill and seen me walking off. The next stand I was mentally prepared to stay on the stand at least 25 minutes but had a coyote come in after about 2 minutes and dropped it with my shotgun. I stayed on that stand for 20+ minutes after the shot.

I've had too many coyotes come in after the shooting one that I won't give up on a stand after I drop a coyote. I've had many coyotes come in after multiple rifle shots. I had a stand a couple years ago that I dropped a coyote with my shotgun at 5 minutes. I continued to call and a few minutes later I shot a coyote with my rifle with a loud break. It took a second shot to finish but I still continued to call. A few minutes later I had a third coyote come in.

10-15 minutes for me. Usually closer to 10. Rarely more than 15. No stand stamina. The big majority come in less than 6 minutes and there is never any limit to the number of stands available.

I almost never call a stand off for a shot or shots. And in fact, will usually add at least 1 minute to the stand for every coyote killed. If I had only planned on 10 minutes, but kill two, I'll probably keep calling for 15 minutes.

- DAA

It seems like most of mine come in around 7 mins or less, some come in later maybe 15 minutes. I am rarely on stand longer than 15-20 unless I think I can call one in that is talking back to me.

I call 15 to 30 mins. Pick up leave, sometimes I go back in the morning see tracks all over. I feel that their watching me LOL. I feel majority of the time that my schedule is not the same as theirs, I came to this conclusion after placing trail cams and finding out that they came into the area 4 to 6 hrs. after I left. Of course some had to step in my boot prints. Bastards

The majority of coyotes that I kill have come in under the 5 minute mark. I have noticed that my percentages start to drop off after that. But as most of the guys have stated, that really depends on a lot of things, like time of year, weather, etc.

Most of my stands are 12-18 minutes but during certain times of the year I will call well into the 20 minute mark.

No matter how long you call, when you're done, move slow and quietly. I learned the hard way about the seasonal patterns by spotting coyotes coming in after I have shut my call down and I have even spotted some just sitting there, behind a bush where I couldn't see them.

In heavy cover(my favorite) 15 minutes and stay on the stand that long after shooting. One stand I killed two coyote a few minutes apart and they still kept coming four total the last one as I was picking up the caller and my combo gun was sitting back at my seat.

More open country I'll stay 15 min and if it really looks good a little longer, I think when I can see farther I tend to give them a little longer to get there.

45 minutes to an hour.
Had some into the 1 1/2 hr area.

And that's coyotes, not because I may be calling cats or bears.

Always call after a shot, I had about a year where I had near 50% success calling in coyotes after a shot or shots.

But I'm a caller, it hurts when I fail, so I really get after things and don't like to admit defeat.

As DAA stated, no stand stamina. 12 minutes for me. I used to wear a watch with a timer. When I sat I'd start it. On a dead stand 10 minutes feels like an eternity. After 10 minutes of seeing nothing I'm already thinking of my next stand. I'd imagine if you sat in one place long enough you'd have 100% success rate but seriously, I'd say 80% of my called in critters come within 7-8 minutes, it drops off after that. I'd rather make more stands throughout the day in the producing time frame. The only time I make longer stands is if it's late in the day and I know I can't get to another one with shooting light. I'll sit there til light fades out.

Yup, always keep calling after a shot. Real common to call in more.

In tight cover with shotguns with limited field of view I'd even stay shorter. Also I'd call with less volume.

Last edited:
16 minutes, ocassionally 2-4 minutes longer. After shooting a single, I continue to call as if I just started. Call in many more doubles since suppressed!

Last year and this I have had more coyotes respond after ten minutes than before, so I have increased my calling time from 12-15 minutes to about 18 on most stands. Seems like forever, but after having several come in at 14-15 minutes and bust me tearing down, I had to do something!
smile.gif

It depends on what time of the year. When hunting during the daytime with the exception of first light and last light, I am typically pulling them from cover. I have an exact area in mind. In these situations, I only stay about 15 minutes because I am targeting a small area for coyotes.

When nighttime hunting very open areas, I stay a lot longer with the average between 22-30 minutes. They can be coming from any direction and often are coming from longer distances. Yes, you can get more stands in by doing shorter stands. However once you factor in the time it takes to walk to a stand, put the call out, walk back from your stand, and drive to the next spot sometimes it pays to stay longer on stands you have a lot of confidence in.

Always continue calling and also change up your calling strategy. I am not saying try 15 different sounds on the same stand, but try to trigger a different response. If they don't seem hungry, playing 10 different rabbit distress sounds probably isn't going to help. Try to get a territorial response, social response, etc.

The stand that I posted in the Night Hunting Section on Predator Masters last year where I shot 7 On The Same Stand , I used 3 calling strategies on the same stand. I started off with very soft distress, once I had shot the first few and things slowed down, I moved to louder more aggressive style distress which brought in a couple more. I then switched to vocalizations and finished the stand with 7 in total. Yes, this stand took 45 minutes from beginning to end. I could have maybe got one more stand in during this time considering drive time, set up time, walking to and from the stand.

A suppressor helps but I have still called lots of multiples after shooting multiple coyotes without one.

Back