Remington Model Seven Predator .243

I guess I've been lucky then. I have have two Model Seven's in .308 and both will shoot three shot groups right at an inch with both 125 and 150 grain Accubonds. We also have a 300SAUM seven that hovers right around an inch for three shots. This .243 had me scratching my head but I think things may be coming together. My expectations are three shot groups 1.25" or less for the 30 caliber guns but I expect five shot groups under 1" for the smaller calibers since they are used for smaller animals. I give time for the barrel to cool when shooting and shoot from a concrete bench with bags during load development.

You'll never get there trying to shoot 5 shot groups with a pencil bbl. 3 shots is all you need to do development. More than once I've stopped a group at 2 shots because the third shot surely wasn't going to make the group smaller. I'm sure some got a chuckle out of my tape comments above, but it straight works and costs next to nothing to see if "bedding" is a big part of your issue. My guess is your bbl looks as rough as your first ex wife these days. Do a search on Tubbs final finish. Edit...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006409224/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tubbs-final-finish-lapping-bullets-lets-hear-it.47817/

I had a mod 7 when they first came out, one of the poorest shooting factory rifles I ever had, 223 Rem. I completely did the bedding a few differenttime's. Bedded under tha action, didn't heelp. Floated the barrel tip of stock to the action and didn't help. bedded the barrel full length without float, didn't work. Wrote Remington and they told me the groups I was getting fell within their acceptable limit's, 3"+. I got rid of that thing and have been sour on it ever since. But thinking back I might have saved that rifle with a new barrel! That was the thinnest barrel I've ever seen. Liked the wood stock and action was very nice looking. Now I think if I had bought a new heavier barrel for it, it might have worked. I had a Rem 660 for years I loved, son has it now. Short action, wood stock that looked more like a fence post and 20" heavier barrel. Shot light's out. One of the most accurate hunting rifles I ever owned.

Pencil barrel will only shoot 3 rounds or less accurately? Hhhmmmmm
Don't tell any of my Kimber Montana's that.

I have owned one of every caliber Model 7 Ever made. Accuracy was astounding when I put a Gentry muzzle break on them, bedded and freefloated the barrels.

Something about the weight of the muzzle break tamed the barrel whip resulting in groups were the bullets touched.

7/08

Biden is probably going to outlaw the import of Sako products along with all imported guns, and possibly gun parts, just like Bill Clinton did. Replacement triggers and upgrade on parts for them will disappear, we have seen this before. If you want a Sako, I'd say you had better move on that "want".

Back