Most coyotes you called in on a stand?

I have called in 7 multiple times, but 8 is the most I have seen on one stand. They all came to the call together, I shot one and the rest made it out.... I would much rather call 7 singles in the day than 7 or 8 at a time lol

Quite a number of three's together, one 4 together(open country, 4(1-1-1-1) and a 4 (2-1-1) under 30 yards on the same stand within a couple minutes of each other. Most of these are in thicker cover so there may have been more I never saw.

Originally Posted By: bhallowsI have called in 7 multiple times, but 8 is the most I have seen on one stand. They all came to the call together, I shot one and the rest made it out.... I would much rather call 7 singles in the day than 7 or 8 at a time lol

Have to agree that the odds tilt in favor of the coyotes consistent with the size of the group which responds, but it sure gets the heart rate up, as well.

Had called in a number of doubles and a triple or two before, but last year five responded within 5 minutes of firing up the call. #1 ran across sendero too quickly to get on him; I knocked down #2 @ 40 yards, but he was attempting to get up, so finished him off, just as #3 stepped out @ 75 yds. My partner and I both fired at same instant, both solid hits so he was down for the count. #4 ran across sendero too fast to get on him, just short of a cross road 240 yards from our stand, but # 5 ran out at same spot and paused long enough for a hurried shot. When the smoke cleared, four shots later, two were down for the count and the last one fell at the shot (225 yds +/-), but immediately jumped up and disappeared into the brush. Not sure if he tripped at my shot or if he was hit, but unable to locate exact spot where he stood in hard ground so will never know.

While the odds of my hitting the target would have increased had these coyotes appeared separately, I'll trade batting average for excitement factor any day and be happy with three out of four confirmed hits. Not happy with the one unconfirmed shot, but it was certainly a memorable hunt and great way to break in a new rifle.

Regards,
hm

Best ever was six called, five killed during the 2017 Predator Masters Convention in Nevada.

TroyChris13Sep2017Quintuple-M.jpg

I've had 5 come twice and only got 1. Had 4 come and got 2 a couple weeks ago. Got 4 once during daylight but they came in 2 pairs.

Years ago a friend and I set up at first light. A coyote answered our first howl. Didn't take long before to see one coming in to catch our wind. I remember my partner whispering "there's one!" then "there's two, three, four, five!" They swung downwind , we were set up watching upwind and crosswind. Ended up firing a few hail mary shots, never got one!

My personal best, was a group of 5.
They literally came through the fence I was sitting next to, almost nose to tail, about 75 yds from me.
I wound up with 3 of them...an older female, and a couple YOY.
The lead coyote, and the one bringing up the rear, both got away. I have always assumed that this was a family group, and the lead coyote was Daddy, and the rear one was another pup.
Stevens #200 bolt gun, in .223. Started out with 4 in the mag, and 1 chambered. Emptied the gun to get the 3 I got.
Sept. 19, 2006. First stand of the day, right as the sun was coming up.
I have always recalled the date, due to the number of coyotes; and it was the maiden voyage of the 1st horn howler I ever used (made by bearmanric, with "Coyote Reaper" art by HuntNCarve).

13 came down a cow trail all in a row got two before they.got away.i later found a dead cow about 600 yds away so that explained why so many.

I once called in 5 while calling with Jeff Mock. I didn't see all of them at first. Saw 2 coming in when I heard Jeff shoot. Those 2 ran off, then another 2 came running through from my right that I didn't see coming in. I figured that Jeff must've missed them, but I should have known better because when I walked around the tree there was Jeff standing over the coyote that he had shot.

No idea. Quite a number of stands where multiples came in. When they all show up at once it's a chinese fire drill. After you see 5 or 6 hard to keep count. I remember one stand my buddy and I were sitting in these sandhills. I was watching north, him south. I blew the call one series and saw movement way out. I had three coyotes running in together. They were coming strong when "boom!" my buddy sitting behind me shoots. Then shoots again and again. The ones I was watching turned tail and scattered. I managed to knock down two of mine and my buddy, after all the shooting got 1, maybe two (we couldn't find it). He said he thinks he had 5 show up. 3 right in front and two more off to his side. I've called in 5 a couple times at night. Calling the edge of an alfalfa field. They just kept coming in one after the next.

That’s how the 17 we called were. We were calling the edge of a large alfalfa pivot bordering a huge sage brush flat and we started calling and they came across the pivot single file, thought they were antelope when I first saw them but a quick look in the binoculars and I saw they were coyotes then they melted into the sage brush and the $hit Show started. Coyotes running everywhere. Only managed to kill 3 if I remember correctly.

Another time we were calling, we came to this little canyon and we had just gotten out of the truck, and up the canyon a group started howling. We hadn’t howled or called yet so we stuck up the canyon about 500 yards it was just getting light so we just sat there until it was light enough to see good. Then just started lip squeaking when look up on the skyline 7 Coyotes popped up over the hill. Just kept lip squeaking and they came flying in my brother killed 3 with the shotgun and Me and my other Brother each killed 1 with the rifles. Fun times back in the good Ol days

Last edited:
I called in 9. One stand first weekend of January last year we shot 2 of them. They were quick to come out but hung up hard at 250 to 300 in cattails.

Another night in october we did 6 stands. I only had 3 sets with dogs we called in 23 total that night. The smallest set was 7.

Had a perfect night a few nights ago. Called in 21 and was batting 1000 when that dreaded loud click of a hammer falling on an empty chamber woke me from a very restless sleep!
wink.gif
35101274684_7f485ab6ef_o.gif
Took me 10 minutes to extract myself from the tangled bedspread!

If something doesn't bend, break, rip or tear, I plan to try again tonight and take a 30 round mag this time!

Regards,
hm

Had four come in all together once. They came in from my left rear where I couldn't get a shot due to the brush I was set up in. They ran onto a frozen lake and got downwind of me. I never took a shot at any of the four.

Back