non-toxic

giggler

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever hunted on waterfowl production areas, or other state properties for coyotes, where non-toxic shot, if using a shotgun, is a requirement. I'm thinking that steel T's or BBB's would do pretty good job. Anyone have any field experience with such things?
Thanks, Daniel

Originally Posted By: gigglerHi, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever hunted on waterfowl production areas, or other state properties for coyotes, where non-toxic shot, if using a shotgun, is a requirement. I'm thinking that steel T's or BBB's would do pretty good job. Anyone have any field experience with such things?
Thanks, Daniel

a coyote needs to be very close for steel to be effective. it pretty much sucks for coyotes.

My son hit a broadside coyote at about 50yds, with a load of Hevi-Shot #4's, the 12 gram-per-cc weight. It went down, got up, was hit again, went down, got up and staggered about 30 more yds and went down.

While he was staggering away, my buddy shot 3 times with a load of BBB steel, hitting him in the rear quarter.

An autopsy revealed the Hevi-Shot pellets stuck under the hide on the off-side, while the BBB's went in maybe 2-3 inches into the hip area.

If you are going to use a shotgun, get some Federal Heavyweight loads, @ 15gr-per-cc, or some TSS (Tungsten Super Shot) @18gr-per-cc.

#6 or even 7 shot TSS should work just fine.

The federal and or state regs may mandate nontoxic shot for shooting waterfowl but do they mandate non toxic for all species hunted on the wildlife area? The whole non toxic shot thing was to prevent waterfowl from picking spent shot off the mud and into their crop as gravel and getting poisoned. Then it was that raptors will eat wounded or unfound ducks and get lead poisoning. There are refuges here in Orygun that allow muzzleloaders and shotguns for deer but do not specify nontoxic ammo for them. You can use lead projectiles for the deer. Why not coyotes? I realize you might have a hard time convincing the game warden that your #4 buckshot is for coyotes but if they allow coyote hunting they should allow buckshot. Besides, you are strafing the ground and not putting lead shot in the pond.

A quick call to your local game warden should answer that very quickly. Be sure you record his name so if someone else see it another way at least you have some back up for how you were hunting.

When I'm hunting waterfowl and have the coyote combo gun in the boat it is loaded with Bismuth BB's in the shotgun barrel and Lead free bullets in the 5.6x50R Mag barrel

Last edited:
If you are going to order TSS shot for coyotes get TSS #3 or #4 shot.

HW13 BB shot from Bucks Run Sports Supply works very good on coyotes.

Steel shot in sizes BBB and T are not a very good choice for shooting coyotes.

A good coyote load should be able to stop, break down or kill a coyote at about 45 yards or less even when the shot angle is no good.

Look below at the penetration that various shot types get at different speeds and distances. 3.70" of gel penetration is what I want for a good coyote load.

From KPY Shotsell Ballistics.

1500 fps steel BBB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 18.9 yards.
1500 fps steel T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 22.7 yards.
1400 fps Bismuth BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 31.5 yards.
1300 fps HW13 BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards.
1300 fps Hevi-Shot DC T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 85 yards.
1300 fps TSS #4 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards.
1300 fps TSS #3 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 97 yards.

Hevi-Shot Goose loads in size B shot or the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads in size T shot are still being made and they both will work good on coyotes but they cost at least $4.50 per shell or more.

If you reload you can reload TSS shot for about the same amount of money it costs to buy the Hevi-Shot denser than lead loads and the TSS loads are WAY BETTER coyote loads than the Hevi-Shot loads are.

A TSS #3 shot 1-1/2 oz load has about 100 pellets per shell.
The Hevi-Shot DC T shot 1-1/2 oz load has about 50 pellets per shell

Back