60 grain Tipped Matchking Field Results

M Jager

Have seen some talk about the 60 grain version of the TMK but haven't seen where anybody had put them on yotes yet. I took a number of rock chucks over the summer with them and the results were spectacular to say the least. So I was quite positive they would kill well but the question was what the fur damage would be like. Yesterday I got some initial results.

Rifle was a 1 in 10 twist 22/250, muzzle velocity 3655 FPS average.

Coyote 1: 311 yards. Broadside. POI crease of the shoulder. Bang Flop, no twitch that I saw but I wasn't looking really. If I know a yote is down I am watching for more coyotes not ogling the one on the ground. Exit wound was about 2 inches.

Coyote 2: Approx 100 yards, Broadside, POI crease of shoulder, bang flop with no observed twitch, small dime sized exit.

Coyote 3: 549 yards. Broadside, POI right on or just behind the diaphragm (too far back). Coyote ran 100 yards and laid down in a small wash. Dime sized exit. Walked over and gave a finisher at 40 yards to the back of the head with the predictable graphic results.

Coyote 4: Approx 100 yards, straight on, bang flop with no observed twitch. No exit.

Coyote 5: Approx 50 yards, coyote turned right as I shot and bullet raked its side. Yote did the death spin for 20 yards and had a 3 inch tear. Can't blame the bullet on this one obviously.

Coyote 6: 318 yards, broadside, POI pretty much dead center of rib cage, Coyote did a death run for made 40 or 50 yards, 2 inch exit.

Coyote 7: 564 yards. I screwed up, remembering yote #3, I gave a touch more windage. Looked like the impact was low and forward on the shoulder. Yote was laying down so it was hard to tell. Looked until dark but was unable to recover.

Based on the obviously small sample size, I am pleased with the terminal performance. In terms of saving fur, it looks like you better own a needle and some thread. These were norther border dogs however, I would expect exit holes on small southern yotes may be rather large.

Conclusion: yesterday was good day, saw 11, shot at 7, recovered 6.

No pics, we have seen dead coyotes before.

5 more today
Forgot the rangefinder (its always something, at least I brought the gun) and the shooting was was sloppy.

All yardages are guesstimates

Yote 1. 200 yards. Broadside, POI top of shoulder. Bang Flop. 2 inch tear. Mangy dog so oh well.
Yote 2. 100 yards. Broadside, crease of shoulder, Bang Flop, 2 inch exit.
Yote 3. 200 yards. Broadside, POI top of shoulder, Bang Flop, 3 inch blow out.
Yote 4. 50 yards. Straight one, Bang Flop, nickle sized entrance, no exit.
Yote 5. 50 yards (was 10 yards from #4 when #4 got hosed). Broadside. POI rear shoulder. 20 yards of circle spin. 3 inch entrance, no exit. Saw the splash in the scope, knew right away it was a splash.

Earlier took a buddy out and called one for him. 7mm STW. Not pretty.

Yotes 2-5 where all on the same stand. First time getting 4 at once for me. Naturally I was a mile from the truck. Not a fun drag.

Also, plotted a group on a rock face at 615 yards. 3 shots, sub 1/2 MOA. For accuracy and flat killing critters, I love this bullet. Starting to think I have enough data to assume its going to consistently be a little rough on hides.

Lastly, this has been one heck of a streak. In the last 11 sets I have seen 17 coyotes. Counting buddy's yote, we have shot at 13, hit 13, and recovered 12. Total rounds fired 14 counting a finisher shot.

If you care for a bit more work, based off any apps/charts you have, can you estimate the approx. velocities at impact at each distance?

Anything a little more recent on these 60tmks?

Have you guys that have been running them , continued or have you moved on to something else? I have a bunch of them and am hoping to get to the range to run a couple strings. I have ran the 69 tmk with great performance on dogs, the 64 tgk that shot great groups and fast, but they blew the [beeep] outta dogs and a cat, so I am hoping the tmk bullet will perform better that the tgk.

Curious as well. I picked some up to try in a 223. Running 25gr varget in a 16in barrel. Accuracy is under 1/2" @100yds. Speeds are 2726avg. Hoping to try them out on coyotes, but also some pigs here in next few weeks. Curious how they perform at lower speeds

This is great info.

I recently picked up 400 of the 60gr TMK.

Am hoping for a combo longer range (300 yds plus) target and fox load.

Will be shooting out of a 1:9 5.56 bolt gun using Ramshot X-Terminator

Last edited:
Good info but it was worth the read just to see this:

If all I had were Rugers- I'd throw rocks.

I laughed for several reasons, but would love to hear yours sometime!

Wow, 2 year old blast from the past. I shot a few more then moved on in search of a more fur friendly bullet. At the time I was hunting northern Montana so hides were valuable. There was a guy, can't remember if on here or somewhere else, that was happy with them at a slightly slower muzzle velocity. With the fur market in the gutter, who cares if you don't call cats.

Originally Posted By: gunsbam45Good info but it was worth the read just to see this:

If all I had were Rugers- I'd throw rocks.

I laughed for several reasons, but would love to hear yours sometime!

I hope you won't be disappointed but I don't really hate ruger. In fact, all of the coyotes mentioned in this thread were shot with one, a ruger American predator 22/250 that shot almost anything well once it was bedded to a boyds stock. I never was a fan of 77s as I have seen too many people fight to get them to shoot. A friend now owns the 250. I have a second American that I picked up for 200 bucks for a loaner gun that I am thinking of building into a 35 whelen. If ruger would fix their worthless plastic stocks, I would rate them as the best budget rifle on the market. I also have a 10/22 and a mark 3....as a true hater I do a poor job. Just don't tell anyone

I'm a Ruger revolver guy. You just go in understanding that what you're buying is the best built and designed BASE gun out there, and that the base gun is the cheap part. Bob Jourdan told me so many 77s shot so bad, and it was such common knowledge, that a lot of folks who bought them that didn't have good luck with them would just bring them to him and say just give me X amount and you can have it. He bought them and said many just needed cleaned, but most needed full accurizing and several needed new barrels, which back then Bill didn't blink an eye at. I bought some 77/22 rifles that I really liked the look and feel of several years ago, but all had horrendous triggers and the barrels were welded to the stocks. A special edition 22LR and a Hornet with absolutely gorgeous wood both shot so bad off a good rest it was mind boggling. There's more, but I'm a small time Ruger dealer, and the problems I've seen are par for the course with all the major production companies anyway, but that little saying is still funny.

Back