Bolt action rifles, and thermal scopes

Savage 11 .243 Win
Silecerco Specwar .556
MDT LSS chassis
Ergo Tactile grip
American Built Arms Urban Sniper Stock
MDT arca plate

20210101-091923.jpg

Originally Posted By: G AndersonKirsch, it looks like you mounted your Arca plate using the bolts for the foreend/handguard...did you use the existing 2 bolts or did you have to get some longer ones? What Arca plate did you use? Thanks Sorry for the slow response, as I didn't see your question.

I did use one of the bolt holes. I looked through all my supplies of goodies and found an ARCA plate from a ballhead setup that I wasn't using. I then took the factory bolt and went to my local hardware store and found one that was a little longer. I believe the new one is about 1" in length. I could have actually mounted the plate to either of the two bolts on the bottom of the handguard, but choose the one that gave me the best balance point. I could have also simply used an arca-mlok adapter like this but it would have put my balance point too far forward. I like it when my guns are balanced well on the tripod. This takes a lot of stress off the ballhead/tripod and helps keep the tripod from falling over as well as the gun tilting way down or way up by accident.

arca_bolt1.jpg

arca_bolt2.jpg

Using an MLOK adapter would be a little more secure, but I feel a good balance point is equally as important.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: G AndersonKirsch, it looks like you mounted your Arca plate using the bolts for the foreend/handguard...did you use the existing 2 bolts or did you have to get some longer ones? What Arca plate did you use? Thanks Sorry for the slow response, as I didn't see your question.

I did use one of the bolt holes. I looked through all my supplies of goodies and found an ARCA plate from a ballhead setup that I wasn't using. I then took the factory bolt and went to my local hardware store and found one that was a little longer. I believe the new one is about 1" in length. I could have actually mounted the plate to either of the two bolts on the bottom of the handguard, but choose the one that gave me the best balance point. I could have also simply used an arca-mlok adapter like this but it would have put my balance point too far forward. I like it when my guns are balanced well on the tripod. This takes a lot of stress off the ballhead/tripod and helps keep the tripod from falling over as well as the gun tilting way down or way up by accident.

arca_bolt1.jpg

arca_bolt2.jpg

Using an MLOK adapter would be a little more secure, but I feel a good balance point is equally as important.
Thanks Kirsch, I figured you were tied up and it would take a while to respond so I went ahead and basically did what I thought you had done. I tried the M-LOK arca mount plate on the handguard and it was too far forward and definitely did not balance the rifle well. So I did the same as you except I drilled 2 holes in a spare arca mount plate and used both bolts...same as you, I went to hardware store and got a couple of bolts and small washers. It really balances well at that location.

Back