Stock refinishing question.

crapshoot

Im refinishing a stock and am asking for advice. I know many use True Oil, but i am going with Formbies. It's what i have on hand and I've already started so that's not going to change.

The question is, should i use some sort of wax or polish once i am done with the many coats i plan on doing.

I don't think it would hurt anything although I would let the finish cure before applying the wax. Maybe wait a few days to a week.

i make custom stocks. ive never used the product you mentioned, ive always done mine with tru oil as its a near flawless finish every time with no runs or bubbles as long as the air temp is reasonable and youre not working in overly humid conditions.

ive only waxed one stock after oil-finishing. it was a mistake. i didnt like how it looked or felt. if you choose to do it, make sure your finish cures for 3 days prior to waxing.

i simply oil-finish, let it cure 3 days, then use birchwood casey barricade on all the metal parts, reassemble the gun, then rem oil everything.

Crappy pics but this is what i used.

This is before.

This is after.

For the life of me i can't figure out why they would want to dark stain such beautiful wood.
I ran into the same thing on an old remington that my dad got in 1950 when he graduated. I sanded down a plain, drab looking brown wood stock only to find a beautiful cherry looking wood with a beautiful blonde
streak that ran up the fore-end.

Back