Night set up?

rudymontana

How far do you guys set up away from your vehicle to call at night. Cloudy and no moon? What is the normal? I see the guys that use Red, green night lights and are sitting in the back of the truck?

Rudy

I have had coyotes cross roads/trails where my truck was parked and almost run into it. I also captured video of this triple earlier this year where I had 3 coyotes almost surrounding my truck.

Coyotes don't seem as concerned with vehicles at night. However with that said, I have had just as many times where coyotes have popped up on a hill, looked right where my truck was parked and took off. It never hurts to get some separation just in case.

If I have a good hide for the truck, I don't go very far. If I don't, I will at least try to get a few hundred yards away.

If you can't see it neither will the coyotes. Skylining is the main problem with them seeing it and scent is the number 1 problem.

Last edited:
Here in PA....if a truck slows down...the coyotes notice and are gone.

Most of our spots we park where there are normally vehicles IE farms/houses/garages. There are no vast wide open spaces...

Like Bowhntr6pt we are in Florida and night hunt off a truck platform. On a dark night with no moon they will usually see the truck at 50-75 yds. On moon lit nights we hide in shadows with tree line behind us. We don’t do as good per stand with the truck but can cover more ground. With a partner we can easily scan 360 if we need to sit in the open. Swivel seats with gun rests make us more steady than on the ground with tripods. Getting old for all the walking, works for us.
This one saw the truck at 80 yds, 1/2 moon, overcast.
https://i.imgur.com/tnJYQ8f.mp4

If I was in MT I would call from the back of the truck sometimes.

This is just from Friday. The first dog I killed I was 200 yards from the truck. The coyote came across the road right by the truck. The next stand I got a double. I setup 200 yards from a main highway. It was 8:30ish at night so a decent amount of traffic. It took 20 minutes to bring them in and they were being cautious every time a car would drive by. But they still came in.

In the dark I don’t think it hardly matters. If I can I park the truck behind something. But I don’t stress it anymore if I can’t.

Next question is how long do you wait to call after you park the vehicle? Appreciate all the answers for 1st question. Do any of you use coyote interrogation to begin sequence or just go into distress calls?

Rudy

It depends on how far I have to walk. Usually it takes me a few minutes to get off the road, setup, go setup the call and get back. When I first got a thermal I was testing it out. I saw a coyote out the window. I blew a mouth call with the truck running and here it came. It was only around 300 yards out when I spotted it.

I wouldn’t over think it.

Back