CHOKE TUBES AND WHY SOME FIT AND OTHERS DO NOT?

gpjohnson

My son lives in a State where you are not allowed to use a rifle during deer. One of his options is shooting shotgun slugs. He owns an old Model 1100 20ga, Skeet. He recently ordered a rifled choke tube and attempted to replace the tube that was in the gun. The new rifled choke will not fit. It is actually slightly larger in diameter then the barrel opening. I asked if he may have received a 12ga choke by accident and he stated that the choke tube states that is a 20ga? Can anyone provide an explanation why this choke tube will not fit? I have not seen the barrel or the tube.

An 1100 Marked "Skeet" on the barrel might actually have been threaded for after market for choke tubes other than Rem. It could have Briley or one of the other proprietary choke systems(Carlson's and Colonial), they come in standard or thin wall depending on the wall thickness of the barrel and OD.

Last edited:
Take a picture of the tube that is in it and measure it for dimensions and contact Briley they can help you.

AWS is probably right about thin wall chokes. A couple of years ago, I had a Citori cut for chokes and I had to use thin wall chokes in it. Standard chokes wouldn't work.

Double check its the correct choke. Just because you ordered the correct choke doesnt mean the correct one was found, pulled, packed and shipped. Mistakes happen and unknowing employees are definitely out there.

Rifled choke tubes, not really that effective. With a skeet tube the shotgun could be accurate enough for deer inside of 50 yards, which is what shotgun rifled slugs were designed for. A rifled barrel and sabot rounds could extend the range to 100 yards. Keep in mind that choke tubes need anti-seize on the threads, and that shooting slugs through thin wall tubes could make removal of the tube very difficult.

Originally Posted By: Eng BobIt always surprises me how they get the threads into the barrels and they do not split ?

Its using the right tools for the job and knowing what your doing. They don't just run a tap in the barrel.

Back