Muzzle loader sight in question

Tonester

I want to ask the advice of others who are familiar to this question. My buddy loaned me a TC Encore for muzzle loading this week. It has a red dot, 250gr bullets, 100 grains of Pyrodex, and a 20" barrel.

For a 25 yard sight-in, based on my previous experience, I am guessing that about 1" to 1.5" low will get me a one hundred yard zero. I do not have the actual speed of this load because I have never used a Chrono on it.

Anyone ever use a 25 yard zero on a muzzle loader for 100 yards?

Thanks,

TC

That should be about right. Depends more on sight height above center of the bore more than velocity. Sabot slugs and muzzleloader trajectories are similar. Your red dot is probably a bit taller than the regular 1.5" of most hunting scopes. If you are about 1" low at 25, 2" high at 50 should be on or very slightly low at 100. Make slight adjustment from 50 yards, to fine tune.

Sounds abut right. I think I’d hold it to 1/2” low or so, your load won’t be all that fast.

I chrono’ed a 250 grain bullet, 120 grains(volume) Blackhorn 209, 26” barrel, a low deviation 1950 FPS was the result.

There is a great tutorial pertaining to slower moving slugs at the Lightfield Slug website. I believe this pertains to most muzzleloading rounds also. www.litfld.com Check it out. Explains a lot. Different than centerfires that maintain supersonic velocites at long range.

Just my opinion......you can read all the charts, ask all the question, but till you take it to the range and find out for yourself, its all just a guess. Might be close, but is close good enough?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogJust my opinion......you can read all the charts, ask all the question, but till you take it to the range and find out for yourself, its all just a guess. Might be close, but is close good enough?

Sound advise here!!!!! I never trust the charts. Too many variables.

25 yards isn't enough to demonstrate bullet flight down range... you owe it to the animal you intend to shoot to know exactly where you will hit.

You might be good L/R at 25 yards but you might not be at 100 yards.

Are you limited to a range or shooting area where a longer zero isn't possible? What distances to you expect to take a shot?

I zeroed at 50 and was dead on at 100. So anything to 125 should be minute of animal. I’m shooting blackthorn 209 95 grains with 250 sabot.

Back