For Those With Only One Thermal For Scanning And Shooting

454shooter

Just ordered the Hogster 35 with external battery and plan on eventually getting the Phenom as a scanner. In the meantime was going to attempt to scan in hand and then mount to rifle when something is spotted. I know by reading here that this is less than ideal but that's the way it will have to be for a while.
For those that do this do you use the external battery? Can the battery be mounted to the Hogster? I ordered the TNVC Thermal Remote Battery
Just an FYI for those thinking of ordering - there is an estimated 4 week wait. (Night Goggles)

Last edited:
If it were me I would mount it on the gun and scan with the gun. Yes it would be a pain but at least you would know it was zeroed right. You may not pick up a target as quick but you will be on target rather than trying to mount it and finding your target again. Sometimes things can happen fast.

For the last couple of years I did it all with one of the 6x photons on the gun and a set of trigger sticks . I do a lot of spot and shoot and not much calling so the trigger sticks were about optimal though the dnv has limitations at least for my eyes in finding them if I don't get eyeshine . This year I picked up a Wraith from a member here and a Hogster . My current plan is to run the hogster on a rifle if calling or checking cattle ect.. and hang it from my neck as a scanner on a rail section and cord when shooting over a used cow . The wraith will be fine for such " blind " shooting and the hogster ideal to easily see what is coming to bait with less movement overall . Well in my planning anyway LOL
If I only had the hogster though it would NOT come off the rifle to scan especially with thermal i'll take slower scan sweeps to be shot ready when needed.

Last edited:
As why and FarmDad have said, my vote would be to keep the Hogster on the gun if I had to choose between scan then mount and shoot, or scan on the rifle and shoot. I know there are people who mount their thermals and shoot. For a spot and stalk situation for coyotes and hogs, I can see it. Even with the open plains I hunt, there are lots of times when a person is not afforded the luxury of time or can't afford the movement necessary to mount the scope without spooking coyotes. If I was forced into this, I would then pull the thermal off and go with a cheaper digital night vision option for my gun.

As for can a battery be mounted to the Hogster, it can be done if you are using it in scanner mode only. You could simply glue/jbweld a picatinny rail on the battery pack and lock the battery right to the mount. When moving it to your gun, this doesn't work though. The TRB from Night Goggles allows for multiple mounting options due to the offset design. What you may want to do is keep the TRB on the gun, and then rig up a separate pack for when using it as a scanner.

I personally would have bought a thermal monocular and then night vision scope like a Sightmark Wraith HD to shoot with ... could have easily done that for the price of the Hogster unit

I appreciate all the info. I figured scanning with a rifle would be a real pain and tiring but maybe not with a tripod. Every predator I have shot, probably around a dozen and a half, have all been within 100 yards (using lights)so I know how quick things can happen. Was just hoping thermal would have me spotting them quicker.

I do plan on buying a thermal scanner by next fall (the wife really thanks you Kirsch)(She thinks a new living room suit is more practical. Women..........)

...scanning with optic on the gun isn't ideal... both machanically...and physically. Trying to cover in many cases 360 degrees is tough.. But..over time you'd get accustomed to it.

But since you have experience from scanning/hunting with PA old red lights...It will open up a whole new visual aspect.

And depending on the terrain you hunt there in Cental PA(big hills and fields?)...no matter what..you will be seeing them a lot sooner than with the red lights. Which should afford you the time to attach thermal back to scope rail.
I did "1 scope does it all" for a year in NY and OH and now that PA allows thermal..I use 1 scope for scanning and another for shooting. The thermal scope I use for scanning is a bit bigger than the Hogster series...I don't have any issues with using it as a scanner due to it's size.

...you could always buy another Hogster to use as a scanner..instead of a thermal monocular.

I do have mostly small fields, a few large fields and powerlines / gas lines that I hunt. There are way more woods but can't use the lights within them. I imagine thermal would work much better in the woods. Is that true or no?

I am hoping to buy the Phenom next just due to how sweet the videos look. And I totally agree that you are using it way more so might as well step it up. Can't take the money when you go.....

Thermal tends to work better in woods than lights because you are not getting the shine reflection from the trees, branches, foliage, etc. The same issue impacts digital Night Vision when using IR. Thermal typically wins over everything with the exception of seeing through glass, positive ID on similar animals, and cost.

As for your wife thanking me, I showed the post to my wife. She said your wife could buy 15-20 pair of Sorel shoes for the price of the Phenom.

Currently and what I have been doing for the last three years has been to leave the thermal mounted to the rifle at all times. I also leave my tripod mounted to the rifle all the time as well. While the tripod adds weight I find it easier to scan when walking in, or stalking as I will put the collapsed tripod against my hip taking alot of the work off my arms. I have been doing alot of spotting and stalking and having everything there and ready to go is nice without having to attach and detach everything. If the coyote moves or is about to bust me I can drop to my knees and extened the tripod legs and be ready to shoot. If less time and shorter shot I can just use the tripod on my waist to gain some stability. When calling if I'm standing I will just pivot around the tripod and its not terrible. Sitting I leave it collapsed but at the right height to use it as a monopod to allow a larger range of motion and then extend when needed. This works best for me when I have a narrow area of cover that coyotes might be in. So all in all it is definitely doable to leave it attached and scan and shoot but a scanner is definitely on my wishlist as I feel it would let me scan a large area easier and cut down on some movement.

Back