Thermion won't turn on....

pmack

unless the USB is hooked up to the charger or a battery, it then powers up fine.

First issue started last Saturday while hunting. Half way through the night scope wouldn't turn on. Thought it might have been the cold (only high 20s). I drove a bit to try another spot letting it warm up it powered up fine. 2 sets later battery was dead. Hunted Tuesday no problem, hunted until batteries went dead.

Since I've recharged from that night the scope has gone dead twice (while off) and now it won't turn on without being connected to charger or a battery.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Wish I could help you Paul. Sounds like the batteries won't hold a charge, but other than my hunting partner having one that's as close as I've been to a Thermion.

Maybe check for updates ! I read somewhere a while back batteries were going dead while scope was off sitting in the gun safe. Pulsar was supposed to come out with an update.

I don't use the Thermion. However my guess is your batteries are once again dead. I had read on some Pulsar groups, the Thermions were draining the batteries even when not on. I believe they released a firmware update that is supposed to help the battery draining issue. I would update the firmware. If this doesn't fix it, I would contact Sellmark Customer Service. Sorry it looked like Pa. Mick already said about the same thing.

I saw the "battery draining while off" issues on previous posts, it happened early on, or I thought, but then thought possibly I left it on. I then went a month or more with no problems. As of now batteries are fully charged and won't turn on unless connected to a USB power supply of some kind. I'll have to contact Sellmark.

Last edited:
Went to do the update yesterday hoping that would fix my issues. Looked through the eye piece and verified the update was happening. Looked back again and scope was off. Hasn't turned on since no matter how it's hooked up. Email went out, phone call to follow Monday.

Hope they can get you fixed up in short order. Shame these things die at the worst posible time when we really need them.

Latest update...

Was told by email Monday from Sellmark to try holding the power button down for 10 seconds while plugged into wall charger or PC. Would not work with the wall charger but got it going while hooked to my PC and was able to download the newest firmware.

Original issue still exists, scope will only turn on with the USB plugged into the charger or an external battery. (which I currently do now) I returned an email with my serial number and current status of the scope but haven't gotten a reply since early Monday so I called this Wednesday morning.

I was told it could be weeks-months for a repair or replacement depending on what needs to be done to remedy the situation and to use it as is while my the season was open. I'm fine with that but disappointed it's my only option. Based on my conversation with the rep he'd only seen this 3 times and by his tentative open ended answer I assume their is no fix.

Last edited:
My scope finally got to the point where it would not turn on and was sent back late January. While I was less than impressed with the ability to talk to some one at Sellmark for an update or solution, when I did get through after numerous attempts over several days I was told 2-3 weeks was the normal turn around. I suppose I could have used the email route but preferred to express my concerns in a conversation. In the end they upgraded me from an XQ38 to XQ50. We've been hammered with deep snow for the last couple weeks so I feel fortunate I didn't miss much hunting and really appreciate Sellmark coming through.

Last edited:
Glad you got it resolved. To me that thermal is a huge investment and it don't feel so good when one goes bad. Don't ask me how I know.

Back