223 vs 22-250 vs 204 ruger

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerEven out here on the flat prairie I haven't had any problems shooting a .223 and the bullet will determine how much fur damage there is. If it's 600 yards away I'd say either get it closer or come back another day. You won't find a cartridge that will drop coyotes at 600 yards and have a whole fox left to pick up at 10 yards. There's not such a thing.

Well, dag nabbit!! I'll be durned.......

A voice of logic and reasoning screaming from the wilderness...
laugh.gif

Good post, sir.

I run the 22-250 and it is a hammer. Never had a bad blowup on hides yet. Anywhere from 30-400 yards. I’ve taken the rifle out to 500 on targets and hits small plates easily, but you have to watch the wind. Like it was mentioned earlier, bullet selection is critical. I run some old Sierra 55 gr. Spitzers running around 3331 fps with great success. Never had a coyote run. I know it is slow but I let the scope do the work. If you ever decide to put the barreled action into a chassis with AICS mags like I want to you have to limit yourself to ~5 rounds in order for the rifle to feed correctly due to case taper (at least that’s what I have read).

If you have fox I know guys keep them fur friendly with 22-250 but I haven’t had the opportunity since we don’t have many fox at all. If I did I’d love a 204 but I have other “wants” before that! Anything you pick will hammer coyotes just know your dope.

22_250 hands down.
You can load it down to .223 speeds but you can't load up a .223.
Bullet choice dictates everything!
And nothing above is a 600 yard cartridge,!
Seldom will a coyote sit still enuff yto get a range finding. And even rarer if a rangefinder will pick up a coyote at 600 yards.

So basically, you want to call Fox, Bobcat and Coyote. And If they show up and you can see them, you want to be able to put them down right there and you want no fur damage.

In my opinion: There is not a cartridge in existence. As a caller, the closer you can call them in the smaller the cartridge has to be. However non listed above will save fur every time at ranges under 100yds.

1) Rounds traveling over 3000FPS at close range tear fur, more so on something delicate as a Fox or Bobcat.
2) FMJ bullets may pass thru, and leave a small exit if they don't hit bone, but animals have the tendency to run.
3) Soft nose bullets will mushroom, more so if they hit bone. They will usually leave a hole for the seamstress.
3) Ballistic tip ammo can come apart on impact, (splash) or pass thru failing to preform. Now if the distance is right starting at this range(xxxx) to range (xxxx) and the bullet enters the chest without hitting the shoulder and the bullet preforms, it may not pass thru blowing a hole that you have to sew.
4) Hollow points open when they start to meet resistance (Flesh), there is no polymer tip that needs to be pushed back into it for the bullet to expand.

Bullet manufactures design different bullets types to preform differently. So the only thing we can do is manipulate the bullet by speed and place our shots.

No Magic bullet: I have always tested every bullet for the calibers that I have used and stopped when I found one that preforms the best for my needs.

All 3 calibers listed above will kill Fox, Bobcat and Coyote, if kept within range of what the shooter abilities are.

Coyotes are in a class of their own, Their hide is heavier and their bodies are larger. They can
absorb a hit a little bit more. Regardless of caliber, Use the right bullet, keep it in range, place it where it needs to go and you will drop the majority right there with little to no fur damage.

Read all you can about the caliber, the bullets and then preform test Yourself. In the right hands the 223, 204, 22-250 are deadly deer killers thou people will say other wise.

600 yard shots with a hunting rifle out in the field with very little time to analyze, truly amazes me. I shot FTR for a while, our targets were 600 yards at St. Louis Benchrest range. With known distance and range flags, I still had a hard time keeping it in a 6" circle, well honestly I couldn't always do it. With a front rest and rear bag, I could sometimes hit the X ring (3 inch circle) and often the 10 ring (6") on good days. One of my friends here, amazes me with some of his kills and the distance he shoots. I'm not good enough for those kind of shots, [beeep], 300 yards is a long poke for me in the field.

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki600 yard shots with a hunting rifle out in the field with very little time to analyze, truly amazes me. ?

I'm not good enough for those kind of shots, [beeep], 300 yards is a long poke for me in the field.

[beeep], my rangefinder won't even pick up a coyote at 600 yards.
Now, I've made some incredible shots in my life (even on running) fox/coyotes but also have many # of bullets laying out in the fields that didn't connect.

I aint good enuff either but my motto is " the bullet has to land somewhere" sometimes I get lucky

I would go with the .204 Ruger. Then add a .22-250 if you want more horse power!

The expectations you have will never be met. So you will have to be like many of us and have several rifles and cartridge combos. We wander around trying to decide which one is perfect and sometimes we wake up and realize we have been chasing a rainbow.

I run from .22 Hornet to .257 STW and just about everything in between and they all kill but each one brings just a little different angle to the equation.

But I list the .204 first because of its great speed and accuracy with a bullet matched for the twist you decide. I like a 12 twist and the 32 gr V Max in a CZ 527 American (though I built a Savage in the same with a Target Accu trigger I scared up on the internet and it really works as well). All that with not losing the scope picture until contact has been made at ranges you would not believe. Not 600 yds though.

Three44s

my last six coyotes called in have averaged 160 yards. The 223 works really well, most of the time for calling situations

If you're thinking of pushing a 14 twist 22-250 with 55gr or lighter bullets to 600 yards, I think you're pissing in the wind

I inherited a Rem Model 700 22-250 from my father-in-law. Just didn't realize the ammo is this hard to find. I also have an AR 5.56. Pros and cons?

It will come down to personal preference.

As you have both rifles just go forth and figure out what works for you.

Do not give up on that 700/22-250 because ammo is difficult right now however.

Three 44s

Back