Finding your old stuff on old stands

BrianID

It is always fun going back to old stands a year or more later and reliving the coyotes I've called in on that stand. A good portion of the fun in calling coyotes for me is getting out in nature and just the adventure of the entire trip. For example, AWS and I called 7 stands yesterday and never fired a shot and I still had as good of a time as today when I was able to shotgun 2 coyotes.

Even if I didn't mark an exact location on the GPS I often end up picking the same bush or rock to sit under.
What has everyone found when revisiting old stands?
Today I found and old shotshell empty from a couple years ago. I also found a shotshell empty a couple weeks ago that I had left behind. I normally try to pick up my empty shells but sometimes don't find them or forget.
Yesterday I found a live 223 round that I had ejected from my AR last year but wasn't able to find in the dirt until a year later. I've been calling that stand for more than 5 years. I could confirm it was from last year because I didn't have any nosler 223 brass until last year.

The 223 round in the picture did have an orange tip but I year of weather made it loose its color.

KD3um8-FSREqvset8-F2t54w.jpg

I also drove by this tree today. I'm guessing a few people who call Southern New Mexico might recognize it.

p-Rk-Wve6p-Twees-Jyp-ETZZxw.jpg

I haven't found anything of mine as I don't hunt old stands very often trying to hunt new stands as much as possible.

I have found others things, some stands just yell "Call Here" to more than me. Empty cartridges on a few, a cushion seat, camo gloves, a bandana nicely folded and too many pop and beer cans way to far from the road to be just tossed out, you'd think that if you haul it in full that carrying it out empty wouldn't be that difficult.

There is a really nice Oldtimers scrimshaw knife somewhere out there, I skinned a coyote out in the brush and didn't get the flap on the sheath snapped and lost it riding the MC out.

Last edited:
I found one of my empty cases that I lost in the snow on a stand in the Sandhills. It had been at least 5 years since the last time I called that stand.

I have called an area for coyotes, drove 35 miles towards home before realizing I needed to go back. Yup, my FoxPro was still there from the last time I called that spot!
smile.gif

I was hunting where this black one was.

uof1624.jpg

I was bowhunting hogs and had my Henry .22 mag along for this coyote. I killed a hog with the bow but left my .22 mag when I left the sight. It was a 2 hr drive back when I realized I had left it.

uJZzq8A.jpg

lO5EQUe.jpg

Called a stand last year that has been very productive. Requires a decent walk to get there. I usually sit right next to the same big ol sagebrush that overlooks a pretty good draw. Sat down to get comfy and ready to go and there is a Sceery call laying in the dirt. Wish that I would have left it but someone else found that spot and just happened to sit by the same sagebrush. Called a dry set and when I got back to the truck looked around and found 2 skinned out carcasses tossed off into the sagebrush. Have called that same spot a couple times since and blanked. Just strange how 2 dudes can randomly select the exact same spot to call. No trail or anything to get you there.

Never found anything I lost, but several years ago, I shot a bobcat that jumped into a thicket after the shot. Mesquite and other thorn brush very thick with patches of high grass with tunnels through the grass underneath.

I was sure the cat was dead and my partner and I crawled in looking for it, to no avail. Several times we would find blood at entrance to a tunnel, but could not proceed due to thick underbrush; partner would go around and when I could see him through the tunnel, he would pick up trail there. When we finally gave up, I realized that my Wengar Swiss wrist watch was missing. Spent several more hours crawling around but never found the watch. A few days later found the cat, but the watch is still out there....somewhere.
frown.gif

Regards,
hm

im still looking for a rangefinder that dropped out of my pocket on the property years ago. no clue what happened to it and i had covered close to 3 miles of trail (and off trail riding) before i noticed it missing...

Back