Bear Creek Arsenal

Yellowhammer, I purchased a BCA 6.5 Grendel upper back in the Spring. It has a 20” barrel, and like others mentioned, it is heavy. However, it shoots plenty good enough for my needs, and the good part is it cost me $276 shipped to my door, complete with bolt and carrier. I haven’t found any flaws in it, and it has functioned perfectly every round, well over 100 rounds so far. For the money and performance so far, I would do it again. I know another guy who has a 7.62x39 and loves it.

A buddy just got what was supposed to be a complete BCA into his shop that the owner was complaining about accuracy issues. First thing he wanted to do was check the crown; this is what he found.
y7VHWrQ.jpg

Some things aren't all adding up. The customer was told it was a complete BCA rifle, but my buddy said not all the markings seem right on parts. The bolt carrier was way out of spec, too.

That to me looks like a lot of carbon fouling from a lot of firing
With a flash hider or brake, if so that is normal.

Originally Posted By: hylanderThat to me looks like a lot of carbon fouling from a lot of firing
With a flash hider or brake, if so that is normal.

It may look like it, but that is not what it is.

The first thing I do when I get a barrel or upper from Bear Creek is look at the crown and just inside the muzzle. I've had to send more than one back because of issues in this area.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223The first thing I do when I get a barrel or upper from Bear Creek is look at the crown and just inside the muzzle. I've had to send more than one back because of issues in this area.

One of my gunsmithing instructors put me on to Satern and Liberty Barrels. Liberty is the button rifled division of Satern. He has built some phenomenally shooting rifles with their barrels. I just put my first on an AR and it's a drop-in, so I didn't chamber and thread it, myself. $90 for a closeout from them was good in my book, though.

Originally Posted By: HogThumperOriginally Posted By: Bearenlighten us then

A bad crown is not good.

Agreed, but that is difficult to verify from that pic. As stated, it looks like carbon build-up. I'd like to see a pic of that muzzle after it has been cleaned up.

Originally Posted By: crapshoot

Agreed, but that is difficult to verify from that pic. As stated, it looks like carbon build-up. I'd like to see a pic of that muzzle after it has been cleaned up.

Well, if you can't see a misshapen crown in a photo of a misshapen crown, and think it's just carbon build up after already being told it isn't just carbon build up, that's okay. Don't put this information in your tool box if you don't like it.

Originally Posted By: crapshootGuess i hit a nerve.

I guess you don't see any similarities or why others might question what your pic is supposed to show.

I don't think about you enough to have feelings beyond surprise at your efforts to remain ignorant when presented with new information.

Yes, those photos look very similar, and without accompanying explanation, I would agree with your statement. However, that is why I used my words to say it is not just carbon buildup. The metal is deformed and has carbon on it, as well. I did not spell that out because I made the assumption you read my words and we had a common understanding of the meanings without breaking it down and treating you as a simpleton. I apologize for confusing you.

Originally Posted By: HogThumperOriginally Posted By: crapshootGuess i hit a nerve.

I guess you don't see any similarities or why others might question what your pic is supposed to show.

I don't think about you enough to have feelings beyond surprise at your efforts to remain ignorant when presented with new information.

Yes, those photos look very similar, and without accompanying explanation, I would agree with your statement. However, that is why I used my words to say it is not just carbon buildup. The metal is deformed and has carbon on it, as well. I did not spell that out because I made the assumption you read my words and we had a common understanding of the meanings without breaking it down and treating you as a simpleton. I apologize for confusing you.

The only thing i am confused about is the attitude you seem to be portraying.

Since you photo evidence is obviously inconclusive to everyone (or maybe it's just me) but your words are to be taken as golden, then i guess my word should hold the same weight simply because i said so.
That being said, this is a picture of a diamond. If you don't believe what i say then help yourself and dive right in.

Yes, I have a low tolerance for stupidity. At least ignorance is forgivable the first time. I expect my words carry no more weight than anyone else spending their time on the internet, but I did take the time to put the words, and when I say the picture is not just carbon and you call me a liar, it says a lot about who you are. If you're a BCA fanboy, at least own up to it. I see your brand of diamond in this BCA barrel sent to me by my fellow gunsmith.

Don't own a BCA so im not for or against them and i never called you a liar.
I simply stated that the photo you posted was inconclusive and does not support your statement.
In no way were my comments directed in a way claim you were intentionally portraying false information yet you choose to make this personal.
It is you who are blind, ignorant, and a simpleton.

Good day to you sir.

PS: thank Covid for all my free time.

I have one bca upper in 6 5 grendel. So far it has been great. I used it for deer hunting a bit this year, didn't get a chance to take one with it, but I would use it again. It has worked flawlessly so far

HogThumper:

No one called you a liar. I stated that it looked like carbon build up.
You said it was not, fair enough.
Crapshoot said he thought it looked like carbon as well and would like to see a pic of the muzzle cleaned up. That there might give us a better view of what you see, because the pic you posted looks like Carbon build up, but a pic after the muzzle is cleaned might show us what you see.
Again, no one is calling you a liar but the pic posted is inconclusive.
You have intentionally attacked Crapshoot for no good reason.

I finally adder tested my 20" BCA 243 upper with 29 loads. Two shot under moa. The rest were closer to 1.5 moa. I called BCA and they emailed a return label to replace the barrel or just replace the complete upper no questions asked. Hopefully I get one that shoots as tight as my other BCA 243.

Well I finally got updated today from BCA. They said my Barrel did not pass the Moa test and they said their tooling was worn out when they cut my Barrel. Sounded like it was pretty ruff and chipped up inside. New tooling on order with about a 3 to 4 month wait. I told them to hold onto my upper till they spin a good barrel with new the tooling for it.

Here are some of the loads I tested. A little over book with zero pressure signs.

rWEfKiC.jpg

BwiwOSx.jpg

I had a few groups that were between a half and 3/4" and the rest were big enough that I'd never hunt with it. I did tell BVA I shot a couple loads under moa with it and I was asked how after the barrel was inspected sonic must have been pretty ruff. I'm sure BCA will take care of me I have to wait a 1/4 of year.lol. Good thing I have plenty of other rifles to keep me occupupied.

Last edited:
I got an in stock alert that the same 243 20" upper I sent in for moa magically just came in stock. I clicked on the link and it shows out. I would have to guess they re sold my upper I sent in that I told them to keep till they spin a new barrel for it. Kinda fishy since they haven't had the upper for months and I was told they had zero barrels and replacement uppers to repair mine. I'll guarantee you someone just bought my junk upper for $658.

Last edited:
Back