Most coyotes you called in on a stand?

Coyotejunki

Called 7 all at the same time. After the first shot it was a real rodeo.
smile.gif
My best was calling in 5 and getting all 5.

I once called five, that came in a group. This was winter, so wasn't a family group. I got two.

My best stand was three that came in a group, and I got all three...bolt action.

Called in 4 the very first time I took my brother with me. He had never hunted or shot an animal in his life. He never was into guns either. I had him practice shooting here at my house. He was doing pretty darn good for a rookie shooter, until that day. Coyote fever got him and he missed, all he!! broke loose and all 4 coyotes scattered. I couldn’t get a good shot because of my position. 4 showed up and 4 went back to their house. Oh well, it was a great day with my brother. He doesn’t like to be reminded.

5 at one time. 2 pair and 1 single, coming from 3 different directions. One greedy male made it to me before the rest and that's the only one that got shot.

Two on the same stand but they were not together. I had set up on a boundary line. Killed her in her territory. The second was a male with mange. He knew where the line was and refused to cross it he sat there looking at her for 15min before I took the shot.

Very memorable.

My first nite out with an AR, when I was still shooting with red lites, I had 3 come in at the same time. I shot 3 shots and killed all 3. I ended up with 4 for the nite.

Saw one going into stand at night. Shot that one and started calling and shot 5 more in about 5 minutes. Could find the first one, but found the 5 called ones.

I believe we called in 4 in a group in New Mexico on one stand during a PM hunt and didn’t kill a one.
I have killed a triple 3 times. Twice at might and one in the day time.

Many years ago just as the sun was going down I was walking out to set up my cassette caller and I had coyotes on both side of me calling back and forth between the two groups. I started my e-caller and within 4 or 5 minutes had 5 coyotes run in from my left side they were all in shotgun range and I had my 22-250.

While I was trying to find one of the 5 coyotes that would stop moving I had 2 more coyotes run in from my right. One of these 2 coyotes stopped and looked towards the 5 coyotes that were about ready to leave so I shot the one that stopped. So I called in 7 coyotes and killed one. LOL

Three different times I have killed 4 coyotes per stand with my shotgun.

Have had several 3, 4, 5 stands even recently, and my lifetime high count is 9 at once 4 or 5 years back.
No matter how many I seem to get a little flustered by which one to shoot first, after that it just becomes automatic.

OK, I will add a little funny story to this one.

A few days earlier we made a stand pretty close to this one. I heard howls but only saw one coyote about 200 yards out, and it never gave me a shot. After calling it quits on this stand, on the way back to the truck, my brother has to drop a chalupa, so I tell him I'll meet him back at the truck. When he got back to the truck he tells me while he has his pants down around his ankles, a coyote comes strolling by. His rifle was out of reach.
smile.gif

So a few days later we go to this stand and make the first stand of the morning. Did a few howls and within 3 minutes all these coyotes came in silent.

Had 6 come in on one stand, 2 from the North, 2 from the East and 2 from the West. We only got 2 for a variety of reasons.

Best single day I called 9, in 9 stands, one each stand. Had a buddy along that I wanted to have kill his first coyote, so I put him in the best positions and he missed the first 8.

So, last stand of the day, I placed myself in what I thought would be the best position, and killed the last one of the day.

A few years back I set up on the edge of a large slough and called in 11 coyotes. They didn't come all at once but as singles, doubles and one group of three. This all happened in short period of 15 minutes. It had been cold (-30*F to -35*F) for the past two weeks and these coyotes were looking for a quick meal. After everything was said and done, I had 6 coyotes laying on the ice. Had to reload the 20 Tactical once.

Another time, I called a creek valley in very cold temperatures (-42*F)
Was focused on a group of 4 coyotes coming on a dead run from the south but then I caught movement to the west. A group of 5 were coming hard from the west but suddenly both groups hit the brakes when they seen each other. A few more distress cries from my bite call got two from the group of four on the move again. Nine coyotes all under two hundred yards and I only managed to take one with my 17 Fireball. Emptied the gun of shells at the remanding eight but never connected.

Most on one stand was 8. They came over a hill at 200+ yards packed tight together and seemed to move like a flock of birds. I had at least 5 of them come into shotgun range. Only was able to get two. Best I've done on a stand was going 3 for 3 on singles.

I believe 12 is the most I have seen on one stand. Over 30+ years of coyote hunting, I have shot lots of doubles, triples, quads and even quints. However, the most I have ever shot on one stand is 7. The coolest part is I was able to record the stand last year with thermal. In total, I saw 9 coyotes on this stand. 7 provided a shooting opportunity and I got all 7. It really helped they came in as singles vs all at the same time.

Managed to call four in one stand.
They would not come in once they hit a small hill just circling round and yapping.
I ranged them at 360 ish and took one down, the rest ran like [beeep] but one came back to look at his fallen comrade well almost the same shot so gave him the same aim and missed and again but the third got him anchored down just five yards from the other.
First was cub second was large male.

Back