223 16" AR15 4000+fps 53gr TSX

Rock Knocker

I'm blown away.

LC brass, HBN coated 53gr TSX, 26.9gr H322, 1-8 twist BHW 223.

This picture I just shot today, two shots were from 100 yards and three shots from 270 yards. I was using a folded gun case laying in the snow as a rest and accuracy suffered a bit.

by ,

This was my first test beyond 100 yards. I fired 3 shots at 300 yards. My aim point was to rest the horizontal crosshairs on the top of the box, I wasnt concerned with horizontal grouping, i just wanted to measure the drop.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2

I dont have a chrono, I measure by drops, a system that works well enough to get me inches away from center at 1200 yards with other guns.

Hornady ballistic calc says 100 zero, 4000fps is 5.2 inches drop at 300. I've got just over inch high at 100 and 4 inch drop at 300....

I am not saying i don't believe you, but of interest..

The numbers you post on your CFE223 load with 65 SGK's, and now this, are by far the highest i have ever seen on the internet, heard of, dreamed of, or anything else.

By far.

Sierra has an interesting article out there, about why they give different BC's for different velocities. It is a good read.

A chronograph for a handloader is like an electronic fish scale for a fisherman. It keeps everybody honest and discussion friendly.

Yeah I agree, I've gotten a few numbers I havent read before but I'm filling cases in ways I havent read before and shooting through a poly twist barrel.

I started a second thread on this because I want others to try this out... i even dug up my old accurate shooter account to post there to get other to try. I dont know what to say... try it out yourself and please let me know.

I can assure you I'm not trying to make anything up and these numbers arent happening through my magical abilities.

Originally Posted By: HeymartayThat’s swift territory!

I have been a .220 Swift owner for 45 years and that's faster than I ever got with a bullet of that weight.

It’s the internet, anything is possible.

In all seriousness, claiming a velocity without a way to measure velocity, is kind of ridiculous. To put it nicely.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptLOL... you're not getting 4000 fps... there, I said it.

needed said.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker

Hornady ballistic calc says 100 zero, 4000fps is 5.2 inches drop at 300. I've got just over inch high at 100 and 4 inch drop at 300....

That's not how drop works.

With a typical 2.5" AR sight height, 1" high at 100, at 4K fps, would only be about 0.8" low at 300 yards.

4" low means it's probably close to 3400 fps. Which is still a very sporty load for a 16" .223. Hornady shows about that velocity for their fastest loads with a 26" 12T.

- DAA

Yeah I made some quick measurements with my leatherman inch markers for scope height and zero at 100, sloppy for sure but no more than 10% off I would think.

53gr TSX NO HBN and max charge of 26.4 H322 gave me 8.5 inches of drop at 300 last winter. This winter with HBN and charge of 26.9gr H322 I'm getting less than 5 inches of drop at 300, and in testing I fired a TSX through 10 or 12 inches of oak log the only thing I've ever seen penetrate that much was old russian steel core 7.62 ammo.

More testing needed for sure but i dont want to fire all my TSX, they're spendy and who knows when I will find more. I have a decent ammount 50gr vmax lubed up and ready to go, their jackets seemed to pick up more HBN than TSX the vmax will slip out of my fingers.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptLOL... you're not getting 4000 fps... there, I said it.

I agree. I shoot a lot of rounds through a 16” AR across a chrony and have never got anything close to that. I also use HBN.

I know Quick Load is not exact but putting your numbers in, you are 3 grains over max and showing 85,000 PSI and the case is filled 117%. Even with that it shows 3400 FPS. HBN is not helping that much.

Originally Posted By: GCA chronograph for a handloader is like an electronic fish scale for a fisherman. It keeps everybody honest and discussion friendly.

Lol, yep. I dont know the math well enough to disprove or prove it but id be curious to see just how much pressure that thing would have to be running to get 4000+ FPS out of a Barnes 53 gr. The bearing surface is more like a 64/69 gr. Id image the shooter wouldnt have much of a face left if you tried to push that to 4000+ out of a 16" barrel. My 26" Douglas clocked right at 3000 with a medium charge of Benchmark/55 gr Noslers and around 3250 with a Max load of H335 and 52 BTHP and the max load is not safe during the summer.

Back