Baiting

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp In this case, not only was I feeling the pressure from a bad season so far, but it was the first day of the year and I really wanted to kill one on the first day.

Nice shot Owen, by the way I would be happy with one of your bad years or streaks or what ever you call it as you still pile up coyotes.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
DU - that was a long shot and luckily you hit the coyote. Personally, I would have not taken the shot due to the fact there was a house in the background, but that's just me.

6mm06 said:
Looks like quite a bit of action lately, Gobbler. Sorry, but I couldn’t open the video link.

Well that link was bad, I guess. So I uploaded the video from my game camera of the shot on the Red vixen on Dec. 31. If that doesn't open, I'm clueless.

Red vixen Dec. 31, 2020 -

Understand completely GG. The house in the background is exactly 1,200 yds. and I'm shooting on a down slope from an elevated position with a highly frangible bullet, but that is another reasonable conclusion as to why it wasn't the best shot to take. Your video opened fine and you sure nailed that red.

I don't know Paul, you seem to be have been rolling them up pretty good this year. My wife is well on the road to recovery after her surgery right before Christmas, so maybe things will pick up in the days ahead and I can get out calling shortly.

It is wearing a collar, federal regulations have been listed, now the state takes over management. They had a season years ago but it was a joke, had to call every morning to see if the quota was filled, don't remember how many were to be taken, then the courts got involved. The deer have mostly migrated to the southern yards, the wolves will follow. Picture from my neighbors blind next door, quarter of a mile away. Cleaned the rifle today, leaving for Florida for the winter next week weather permitting, really wanted to put a smack on a couple coyotes.

This one came in @ 4 am this morning. Nice male. Used 22-250ai with 70 Berger’s. First activity in awhile.

[img:left]http://[/img]

Nice work tj66.

I got some scraps from a cow that got butchered. I have had a coyote on it pretty regular but I cannot get him shot. Super long story short, my in laws have a camper parked at our house and it is blocking about half of my view now. Every time I get the window opened up the coyote moves behind the camper. I have confidence we will eventually connect.

Fun night!
I got in the stand last evening at 5:40pm with high hope of getting a chance (again) at this one Red dog. Just before 6:00 a Red showed up at the bait pile. Boom! Fox down....but I knew this was not the fox I was after....so I waited. A tad after 7:00 the alarm flashed and there he was down at the pile smelling around the dead fox. Boom! Fox #2 down. Finally was able to get this one and here is all the oops's that led up to his demise. This fox has been eluding me most of the season, usually he would get down wind of me and just would not present himself for a shot. This went on for many, many nights. On Dec. 31st I was afforded the shot, but I missed. Monday night he presented himself and I pulled the trigger - - "click" --misfire. So, to get him last night was like "Yeeaaa!" He dropped right on top of the 1st fox! I guess that's a true "whack 'em and stack 'em"!
All together, a real fun night hunting.
Flickr is not working for me right now, so no pics. If I can get logged in, I'll get some pics up later. Here are the vids though:

Fox #1 -

Fox #2 -

Good work TJ.

Gobbler, that is indeed a classic “whack ‘em and stack ‘em. As to possums, you may have to work hard to beat me. Owen has me dubbed Possum King, but I will gladly give up that title if you want it. I have resorted to trapping them to keep the numbers down.

6mm - I'll pass on the Possum King title. Let me know if you run low I'll send you some!

So here are the pics from Wednesday night's hunt:

ATN 2 Red dogs pond stand Jan. 13, 2021 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

ATN 2 red dogs Pond stand Jan. 13, 2012 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

I hunted Thursday night too and got this Red dog at about 9:00pm. My SD card was full so, sorry, no ATN video. The game camera just barely caught the frontal chest shot on him.

Video:

ATN red dog pond stand Jan. 14, 2021 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Gotta run.....more fox to chase.....

Back