January 2021

I'm always amazed at how you manage to find so many high density coyote populations and trails. I just found a location like many of yours which now makes 2 that I have found and one of em is at my own work! Haha

I know of several dead pile pits but have really not given much thought to sneaking in in the dark waiting for daylight.
My "go gettingest" wouldnt allow it.
When after coyotes, I gotta be active.
May have to rethink things?

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on getting a double from the dead pile. The first one looks better then the second one. But it's great that you are getting something. Yes walking on those truck tracks is not for quick walking. Easy too slip and fall. Congrats
The first one was a nicer coyote but both went home with me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerI'm always amazed at how you manage to find so many high density coyote populations and trails. I just found a location like many of yours which now makes 2 that I have found and one of em is at my own work! Haha
Two is a good start
smile.gif
The trails are my go-to when calling slows down.
Originally Posted By: GrigsbyNice work Snowshoes, and thanks for sharing. I'm glad you include photos, they add a lot to the stories.
Thanks, Grigsby
Originally Posted By: borkonI know of several dead pile pits but have really not given much thought to sneaking in in the dark waiting for daylight.
My "go gettingest" wouldnt allow it.
When after coyotes, I gotta be active.
May have to rethink things?
I usually get a couple chances but the coyotes soon figure the game out and leave before my arrival.

With a fairly strong wind out of the west this morning, I had a couple trails in mind to watch. I hadn't been back to this spot in roughly a month and hoped the coyotes were once again confident to travel this route.
Got caught up answering a couple emails first thing this morning and ended up leaving later than I planned. Legal shooting light was only a couple minutes away as I was backing out of the garage but I was only driving a couple miles from home and then a couple hundred yard walk from the truck.
Roughly ten minutes after getting settled in at my lookout point, I see a pair of coyotes following the edge of the slough to the northwest of me. They cut south on the one trail which I figured to be around 100 yards away. The lead coyote is a scruffy looking thing and I hold off for the second one but its only marginally better looking. The second coyote catches up to the first one and both are standing on my packed snowmobile trail directly west of me. I pick the second coyote and send a 64 gr Berger bullet on its way. The impact of the bullet drops the coyote and the other one tears off west using my trail as an escape route.
I ranged the fallen coyote twice and both times got a reading of 100 yards. I figured it was around 100 yards but turns out it was exactly that. Who needs a rangefinder
smile.gif

Seen a couple more coyotes in the field but nothing within shooting range.
Looking west at the coyote laying on my walking trail.

Looking north at the coyotes trail.

Congrats Snowshoes, glad you got another one down. It's a shame that both were no good, but make great practice. We got horser s**t weather thursday, friday. Rain,sleet,snow. Everything is very crunchy. Hoping to go give it a try next weekend. Will see how the ribs handle it. Congrats.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats Snowshoes, glad you got another one down. It's a shame that both were no good, but make great practice. We got horser s**t weather thursday, friday. Rain,sleet,snow. Everything is very crunchy. Hoping to go give it a try next weekend. Will see how the ribs handle it. Congrats.
Our warm temperatures are suppose to be coming to an end by mid week which might be a good thing. Calling may see more responses than what I have been experiencing lately.

Hopefully your ribs wont give you too much grief come next weekend.
smile.gif

A relatively calm morning with a temperature hovering near the freezing mark would suit me just fine for watching coyote trails once again. A different location than yesterday but otherwise the same plan which sure doesn’t complicate things for me
smile.gif
. ( Sit, Wait, See coyote, Hopefully shoot coyote........repeat)
Blue skies gave way to grey, as a few snow flurries passed through leaving a light dusting of tiny white flakes scattered about.
Within a couple feet of me, a chickadee was hopping from cattail to cattail which was keeping me entertained and for a grand finale, it decided to land on my rifle barrel for a couple seconds to check me out.
A half hour passes before seeing a coyote crest a far hill to the southeast and within a few seconds, two more coyotes are observed traveling the same route. They all disappear into a low spot and I take the opportunity to get lined up and ready for their arrival. A couple minutes later, I have all three coming my direction and when the lead coyote stops, I take the shot. Dropping the one coyote, I chamber another round but the other two vacated the area in short order using the lay of the land to their advantage.
(Ranged the shot at 154 yards)

The coyote trail as it enters the slough bottom.

Snoeshoes,What percentage do you figger are really nice this year?

I don't think I've shot 1 that I would consider superb.
Most all have some kinda back of the neck issues.

Originally Posted By: borkonSnoeshoes,What percentage do you figger are really nice this year?

I don't think I've shot 1 that I would consider superb.
Most all have some kinda back of the neck issues.

Roughly 55% have been keepers but like you, I can't say I have shot a really superb coyote this year.

Originally Posted By: limbhanger10Love this yearly thread....the pictures are awesome
Thank you limbhanger10, Not sure how many more years I can keep this up but I hope for a few more. Getting up, after sitting on the ground for an hour or so, is definitely getting tougher every year
smile.gif

Congrats Snowshoes on a nice looking one. Again thanks for taking the time to write the story about your hunts, with great pictures, it's really appreciated.

our coyotes here in Northern MN were starting to get nice until recent years. Now I expect some degree of lice damage.
Just keep on keeping on SS.
We all love the blow by blows n pics.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats Snowshoes on a nice looking one. Again thanks for taking the time to write the story about your hunts, with great pictures, it's really appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I too appreciate your efforts.

Originally Posted By: borkonour coyotes here in Northern MN were starting to get nice until recent years. Now I expect some degree of lice damage.
Just keep on keeping on SS.
We all love the blow by blows n pics.

Seeing more & more coyotes around here with mange,and/or shoulder mite this last while also .
Not sure if its the area I'm hunting this last few years or the mites and lice have just gone rampant.
Thank you for taking the time to comment! Much appreciated!

Man that warm weather really makes the coyote trails stand out with the mud tracks on em. Too bad about all the bad dogs. Maybe all mine are migrating your way? I have had a fairly decent year regarding mites

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerMan that warm weather really makes the coyote trails stand out with the mud tracks on em. Too bad about all the bad dogs. Maybe all mine are migrating your way? I have had a fairly decent year regarding mites
I thought those scruffy coyotes were coming in from the east!!!!
smile.gif
who knew lol

It makes no sense to me at all. I have had a fairly decent few years for mites but then I know some guys east of Macklin in Sask that say they don't even go out anymore as it's not worth it. Maybe my spot is lucky? Haha

The further I get away from the areas where coyotes group feed ( like dead pits) the better they look. The majority of the crappy looking coyote are usually in close proximity to livestock operations. Does a guy go for quantity or quality? I'm a sucker for quantity
smile.gif

Back