Let’s talk IR lights for my Wraith

Ricky Bobby

So is the light that comes with the Wraith really as bad as everyone makes it seem? I’m wondering if it’s worth changing if my plan is to eventually move into a thermal in another season or two? Also, if I would change it out I’m not a fan of the big sized IRs like the SHL Coyote Cannon ... I’ve got enough junk hanging off my AR and don’t need more bulk.

Another thought, I have an Elusive Wildlife XLR 250 kill light already and seen they are making an IR bulb/emitter for it for like $30 or $40 ... would this be a solid option for running on my Wraith and would it be absolutely positively better than the IR that came with the Wraith?

Thoughts please!

This subject gets hashed and rehashed to tedium. Part of the issue is that there is no real way to put things on a subjective level field for comparison . Environment ( shrubs ect to reflect ) will be different , vision capabilitys different , even battery level and humididty differences will affect light throw and range .
I live out on the arid plains of SE Colorado where not much normally reflects light back into the scope so for me the light is good for 250ish yards thought getting dim i can see a coyote ( not just eyeshine ) there but not as well as 200 yards . I also have some glaucoma and astigmatism in my eyes so that could be selling the light a bit short . When shooting a kill box such as a stand on a dead cow I will do my best to set up 100 yards or so away and run the included wraith light without any problem . When just out running a call and scanning for incoming I run the Coyote cannon and yes it is a huge lunk of weight and bang on everydamned thing but you can reach way furtner than you have any business shooting with it .
When I bought my first night sight ( sightmark phIoton rt 6x pre wraith days ) I did so with it in mind that night shooting was going to be like day shooting and at similar ranges . I have since found that I take more shots under 100 yards than over and 6x can be a bit tight on field of view .
If ( as it sounds ) you are new to the game then give the included light a chance because it may well do everything you want at least adequately if not perfectly . You can allways add light at extra expense if it doesnt and many times with prime 2 day shipping lol .
No one though can tell you what " enough " light is unless and until you actually get out where you hunt and try them out. I will say the Coyote cannon is severe overkill for about any situation other than far scanning on flat plains .

FD, glad to hear that response. Your thoughts seem to coincide with mine. The Coyote Cannon just seems like overkill in majority of situations in my opinion. It’s crazy though how all I keep reading and hearing is that the IR light that comes with the Wraith should immediately be changed out! I’m headed out tonight for my 1st night hunt with my new thermal scanner and Wraith NV and I hope I am correct about this. I plan on eventually investing in thermal scope if I can be successful at this night game! Of course, wouldn’t that be great if I find out my current setup is plenty good for killing all the nighttime coyotes I could ever want?? Lol

Let us know how the entire setup worked out for you because this night hunting thing is a learning curve for all of us and sometimes the newest guys come up with the best answers to issues LOL.

Did Pulsar come out with some type of “invisible” IR light that doesn’t project a red glow? Could swear I may have read that somewhere but maybe I’m just dreaming ... lol.

You can see the IR red glow (module), even the 940 nm. On full (high) power the 940, glows roughly 10% of the 850 nm.

Also, 940 is not as bright either.

PS: The light emitting from the screen can also be seen unless your face is pressed against the rubber eye piece.

Last edited:
Well, even though I’ve been fairly satisfied with my factory IR that came with the Wraith I give in to all the hype on the Sniper Hog Lights Coyote Cannon and ordered me one yesterday and it’s supposed to be here Friday and I have a good hunt planned for Saturday night on some new properties. I’m anxious to see the difference! I also have a linear compensator coming to screw on the end of my AR barrel. I’m hoping between forcing the gases forward when exiting my barrel, and also I’ll be mounting my Coyote Cannon underneath the barrel and as far forward as possible, that I can eliminate as much of my whitewash after my shot as possible. The whitewash has been keeping me from being able to double up on coyotes and I’m hoping I can get it eliminated. We will find out on Saturday!

If you hunt lots of long open fields you wont regret buying it at all . Goof luck with the muzzle wash because in my experience not even a can cures all of it . Shooting off trigger stick tripod I just try and pick the whole rig up and move a couple of steps after shooting unless there is a good stiff breeze to carry it off . I found i can " step out of the cloud " so to speak faster than it will dissipate and have pulled a few doubles that way .

How did you like the Coyote Canon?

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyWell, even though I’ve been fairly satisfied with my factory IR that came with the Wraith I give in to all the hype on the Sniper Hog Lights Coyote Cannon and ordered me one yesterday and it’s supposed to be here Friday and I have a good hunt planned for Saturday night on some new properties. I’m anxious to see the difference! I also have a linear compensator coming to screw on the end of my AR barrel. I’m hoping between forcing the gases forward when exiting my barrel, and also I’ll be mounting my Coyote Cannon underneath the barrel and as far forward as possible, that I can eliminate as much of my whitewash after my shot as possible. The whitewash has been keeping me from being able to double up on coyotes and I’m hoping I can get it eliminated. We will find out on Saturday!

Originally Posted By: weekenderRicky Bobby, how did it go with the new IR light?

I’m really liking it! So much more clearer picture looking through my Wraith now.

My only complaints are:

It’s very big, bulky, and heavy compared to the stock IR that come with the Wraith

Coyotes do seem like they notice it more than the other ... seem more skittish

Back