Bering Optics Phenom: 12 µm 640 Scanner

Hi Korey, what will be the final price in $ of the 12 micron Phenom 640?
To predict the selling price (in €) in Europe, I calculated that you need to multiply the price in $ by a factor ranging from 1.15 to 1.20.
To give an example, the Super Hogster, in Europe, should cost from 3195x1.15 = 3674 €.... to... 3195x1.20 = 3834 €

Thanks Corey,
I wish Pulsar would offer their Helion with more eye relief as I had a XQ38F and really liked the size and the battery life.

Greg

Gkreps
I think that, after trying to observe from the tower stand for hours and hours, almost entire nights, with a monocular thermal device and then with the Pulsar Accolade XP50 LRF binoculars, even if the desire to save on the price is a lot, I will be soon forced to buy the new Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 LRF, as soon as it is available. The difference between a monocular and a binocular is felt a lot. With binoculars the eyes get tired much less and above all there is no imbalance between the two eyes and alteration of vision. In this regard, I have just heard from the Italian Pulsar dealer, that the new Pulsar Accolade 2 XQ38 LRF will soon be on sale and perhaps, but I'm not sure, the Pulsar Accolade 2 XQ50 LRF.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Hi Korey, what will be the final price in $ of the 12 micron Phenom 640?
To predict the selling price (in €) in Europe, I calculated that you need to multiply the price in $ by a factor ranging from 1.15 to 1.20.
To give an example, the Super Hogster, in Europe, should cost from 3195x1.15 = 3674 €.... to... 3195x1.20 = 3834 € I just got confirmation that Bering plans to keep the 12 µm 640 Phenom at the same MAP price of $3195. This is great news because their costs went up but they did not pass that on to the dealers or customers.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Gkreps
I think that, after trying to observe from the tower stand for hours and hours, almost entire nights, with a monocular thermal device and then with the Pulsar Accolade XP50 LRF binoculars, even if the desire to save on the price is a lot, I will be soon forced to buy the new Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 LRF, as soon as it is available. The difference between a monocular and a binocular is felt a lot. With binoculars the eyes get tired much less and above all there is no imbalance between the two eyes and alteration of vision. In this regard, I have just heard from the Italian Pulsar dealer, that the new Pulsar Accolade 2 XQ38 LRF will soon be on sale and perhaps, but I'm not sure, the Pulsar Accolade 2 XQ50 LRF. Ernest, you love the Accolades, so there is no reason to switch. People seem to either love them or not like them at all. Thankfully, you are on the LOVE side.

Blessed are you American boys! I envy you very much ... You have wonderful, very precise weapons that cannot be found in Italy (caliber 22-250 on an AR-15 platform with an extraordinarily flat shot) and high-level thermal devices at very low prices. Do you think that if I bought the Super Hogster in the US, I would pay only € 2619 with the current exchange rate!

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Blessed are you American boys! I envy you very much ... You have wonderful, very precise weapons that cannot be found in Italy (caliber 22-250 on an AR-15 platform with an extraordinarily flat shot) and high-level thermal devices at very low prices. Do you think that if I bought the Super Hogster in the US, I would pay only € 2619 with the current exchange rate! Unfortunately, Night Goggles can't ship thermal devices outside of the US. However, based on today's currency rate, the Predator Master's price would be equivalent to €2600 and that would be with free shipping as well.

The 22-250 is available in the AR-10 platform only. I actually have been using my 22-250 bolt gun for the past 50+ coyotes. Fun to try new things and also it saves me some ammunition, as I don't shoot quite as many times at multiples.

Got a question on the Phenom. When I plug it in to charge with the supplied cord and wall charger it doesn’t charge. When I use that wall charger with a different cord it will charge. When I use the supplied wall charger and cord with other stuff they charge.

Is it going to hurt the Phenom to charge it with a different cord but the same wall charger? I called Bering and the lady on the phone wasn’t a ton of help. She did say she thinks it’s fine but I would rather not chance it and be out the scanner during the season if it will fry the unit. The only thing I can see that’s different is the factory cord has a relay or something about 4” from the end of the mini usb.

Thanks for any help/info you guys can supply.

Bering is definitely the place to answer this question. I would recommend sending your exact situation to sales@beringoptics.com. This email is monitored by Boris and he handles some of the more technical situations.

I can tell you there are times my Phenom doesn't show that it is charging when I know it is. I think it has something to do with using it with a battery pack in the cold. I have had times when I am not seeing the charging icon, but after using it on a stand, I know it is actually charging because the battery meter hasn't gone down but actually up.

If you just swapped out the cord, you should be fine, as I don't use the original cord at all with my Phenom either. Another thing is the connection on the micro USB might be slightly out of spec where it isn't making correct contact but does on other devices. A micro USB cable is pretty standard. I always use 90° degree right angle cables and do on the Phenom also. This way if it gets hit, bumped, fall, etc, there is less chance the port gets damaged. You shouldn't fry the unit by using a different Micro USB cable.

Originally Posted By: dirtytoughGot a question on the Phenom....... The only thing I can see that’s different is the factory cord has a relay or something about 4” from the end of the mini usb.

Thanks for any help/info you guys can supply.

...it's a ferrite for reducing /eliminating electronic interference between devices....should not be a problem if you use another cable for charging.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll send them an email but not worried about it if other people use regular cords also.

Thanks again. Heres to hoping the wind will die down a little so I can use it in the next few days again.

Dirtytough,

Here are some tips. First, make sure to have the focus finely adjusted as the image difference is drastic. Second the image does a lot of auto-adjusting but as the conditions change, switch backgrounds.

I find the Sun (white hot) yields the best image on most nights. However, if there is some light fog or really high humidity (90%+), the red hot background is my next choice. The image on red hot is still a white hot background, but it yields an overall darker image. When the conditions are so bad you probably shouldn't be hunting such as heavy snow, fog, etc, the Bird icon (Target Hot) which is another white hot option is my go to.

Have fun.

Thanks for the pointers Korey. I was out the other night in high humidity and was using the bird icon. Otherwise I mostly use white hot. When I was using the R35 as a scanner I’m almost exclusively used red hot.

That night I killed my first true triple. Just bang, bang, bang. Because of the lack of visibility I setup in the wrong spot. I’ve never been there in the daylight. I thought I could see everything 200 yards and in but two times coyotes just appeared at about 40 yards on that stand. The first coyote was running by and stopped and started jumping. I completely blew it on that one. The second time it happened I was on a double coming in around 225 yards. The close coyote filled my scope but bailed quickly when it caught my scent and ended up right next to the others. I dropped it @211, the next @240, and the 3rd @343 yards.

The Phenom is extremely nice for the price. I was using an R35 to scan with which works but it’s not as clear and the FOV was a little smaller. I have recommended the Phenom a lot after using it. I’m actually thinking of selling my Trijicon and buying another Super and Phenom. That way I’ll have two complete setups. The Trijicon is really nice. But I don’t know if it actually helps me kill more coyotes then the Super would. I have one on my boys rifle and I have only used it once. I do like the 4.5x native mag on the Trij.

Korey thanks again for all your knowledge on night hunting you share on the forum.

Congrats on the triple. You are correct the R35 has a 10.7° FOV and the Phenom has a 13° FOV. It is noticeable when switching between them.

I totally agree the size, weight, features, warranty, and price makes the Super Hogster and Phenom a really tough combination to beat especially in open terrain, as it is what I use as well.

... Please, send a good word to Boris of Bering Optics USA and to Ivan of Bering Optics Europe ... to send an S.H device to Italy .... I will certainly be the first European to test it.

Last edited:
Ernest I don't have all the details but I have been told there are certain restrictions that make it difficult to sell and ship thermal scopes to some countries from the US. I would send a message to sales@beringoptics.com if you haven't already (translated to English). Boris monitors this email.

Thanks Korey! Obviously mine was a joking and almost absurd request. We know that it is impossible to export SH from the US. We can only hope that the Bering Optics Europe section will be able to assemble it under license from Bering Optics USA. But unfortunately we will have to wait for biblical times ....

Last edited:
Back