Ecaller - continuous or with pauses?

When I first started using a Foxpro, I would call continuously (with very little results)

I hunted a few days with a guy and he ran the remote during the hunt. I remember on the first stand when it went to silence, I thought he was having issues with the batteries on the call. Then the distress started to go, then silence. It was driving me nuts!

Then a coyote popped out and he shot it. Over the next few days, we had much better "luck" than I was used to. When I started hunting solo after that trip, I tried to emulate his calling style and on my first stand I called in a coyote. Since then I have been calling 30-45 seconds with a prey distress, then muting for 3-5 minutes and repeat. If it is very windy, I will call more often

That's pretty much how I operate also, but you seem to have better luck with it. If I could stop bumping deer on the way to a stand it would be great!

I have my e-caller going continuously with distress sounds. With coyote vocals I will mute the sounds and have pauses.

If you shut off your distress sounds and no predators have heard it, then you are no longer calling predators.

+1 to what Bob said. I run it continuously unless I am using coyote vocals like howls. If I howl, I let it hang out in silence.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI have my e-caller going continuously with distress sounds. With coyote vocals I will mute the sounds and have pauses.

If you shut off your distress sounds and no predators have heard it, then you are no longer calling predators.

Same here. I try not to touch the remote that many times. I'm big on keeping movement to a minimum. If I start fiddling around looking at that remote too much or reaching down to push the mute button that'd be about the time a coyote showed up and would see me move. So I try not to do that. The only time I mess with the remote is to switch sounds if I need to. And I have a system down to where I really don't have to look at the remote but maybe 2 seconds.

There is no one 'best' calling sequence, as you can see from these experienced hunters comments.

I know guys who run the call for the entire time on stand, and they do well.

I call for 20-30 seconds, then sit quietly for 3-5 minutes, and I do well.

I've often wondered if it is the individual coyotes 'personality' that has them responding to one calling style or the other, or if is a day-by-day thing.

I have tried it both ways with somewhat equal success. But what's been working for me even better is placing my caller out away from me 50 to 75yds up wind a little , start my caller on real low where I can barely hear it for a minute or two. Then start blaring away with a mouth call, catch my breath and do it again. Then increase vol. to 60% let it play continuously for 15 mins. If nothing shows, I lower vol. switch sounds, wait five mins give or take and repeat. If windy increase to about 95% vol. If something shows and is coming in, I scope him and wait for the shot. If they show and then start to leave I go to fox or coyote distress which ever species it was that was coming in.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.There is no one 'best' calling sequence, as you can see from these experienced hunters comments.

I've often wondered if it is the individual coyotes 'personality' that has them responding to one calling style or the other, or if is a day-by-day thing.

It's really hard to say for sure. I use both hand calls and electronic. When I'm using a hand call I obviously can't do that continuously without passing out so I've often wondered if I'd have had a call playing continuously on some stands if I'd have had success on that stand and I've also thought the opposite when using an electronic call. In my opinion if you are able to catch a coyotes attention it's coming in regardless of whether there's a pause in between the rabbits screams or not. I think the way they react will be different when they come in from one method to the next. They'll be in search mode if there's no sound and locked on to the exact location of where the sound is coming from if they come in to a call playing continuously. They'll probably also stop a lot more on their way in if they're following the source of the sound that's only playing every now and then.

That's just my theory and little observations I've made along the way. I could be right,could be wrong.

Last edited:
The first sequence I will let it go for 30-45 seconds of distress sounds. Then every couple of minutes I play for 15 seconds. If they are in range they will hear it and come or not come. I shot one this morning that I had the caller muted for a while and the coyote trotted past me at 40 yards and he was headed to the exact piece of sagebrush I had the caller hidden in. The main reason I don't run it continuously is it drives me nuts to listen to it. I called just as many coyotes in the old days with a hand call as I do with an electronic call. You can call to a coyote a mile away and he can pinpoint the sound exactly.

Continuous for me. And I either start as loud as I intend to go or ramp up to that loud within the first minute.

Except, I pause for about a minute after five minutes. And another minute after ten minutes if I'm going to stay any longer.

Those pauses are for my sanity. I like to just sit there in peace and quiet for a minute or two. I don't think it helps me call more coyotes and if anything suspect it hurts my chances. But I just need a minute or two now and then just to sit there and enjoy some peace and quiet.

- DAA

It’s interesting calling at night. I see coyotes coming in from 1000+ yards a lot in the wide open. And it really seems like they will hold up and start dinking around after the sound is off for a minute or two.

I had two coyotes come charging over a hill at around 300 yards as soon as I played a coon fight. It’s a short sequence and shut off after a few seconds. They came in to around 200 yards and then crossed in front. After smelling around they started to go back over the hill. I kicked on field mouse and here they came again.

I call continuous, start on low and work my way up in the first five minutes, then at 10 minutes lower it. Today 3 out of 4 stands produced coyotes.

This is a question I'm still trying to answer. I do continuous sometimes and others with pauses. It really depends on my mood that day. If I'm trying to make a bunch of stands then I do continuous. If I want to have a more relaxing day and spend more time on a stand then I'll have a bunch of pauses.

I do think continuous on average will get them to come in faster and I won't stay on a stand as long if I'm playing continuous sounds.

I do think periods of silence can be effective for coyotes that have heard calls on multiple occasions. They do seem to come in slower when you pause the caller. I'll give a stand at least 20 minutes if I pause the caller and often give those stands 30+ minutes.

Coyotes have great hearing but they are not always in a perfect spot to hear your e-caller, especially if you don't use some high volume at some point during your calling stands . If you have the sound muted and a coyote or coyotes move to a spot where they COULD hear your sound, they won't hear it because the sound is not playing.

Many times I have had a coyote or coyotes come charging in to my e-caller after playing continuous distress sounds for 15 minutes to 25 minutes. I am pretty sure those coyotes were not running that hard for the 15 to 25 minutes. They may have just moved into a spot where they could hear my sounds 3 minutes to 5 minutes before I saw them.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.There is no one 'best' calling sequence, as you can see from these experienced hunters comments.

It's really hard to say for sure. I use both hand calls and electronic. When I'm using a hand call I obviously can't do that continuously without passing out so I've often wondered if I'd have had a call playing continuously on some stands if I'd have had success on that stand and I've also thought the opposite when using an electronic call. In my opinion if you are able to catch a coyotes attention it's coming in regardless of whether there's a pause in between the rabbits screams or not. I think the way they react will be different when they come in from one method to the next. They'll be in search mode if there's no sound and locked on to the exact location of where the sound is coming from if they come in to a call playing continuously. They'll probably also stop a lot more on their way in if they're following the source of the sound that's only playing every now and then.

That's just my theory and little observations I've made along the way. I could be right,could be wrong.

I would agree that a lot of it has to do with the individual personalities of the coyotes. Some of it probably also has to do with their age. I have also noticed that coyotes seem to be pattern oriented based of off time of year as well as weather.

Like Bob said, when I use howls, during pairing and mating season, I will howl and then go silent for 3-5 minutes. Usually I either see them trotting in or they respond with the a similar howl that I sent out.

When it's cooler out, they seem more interested in eating, and they will tend to come in a bit harder, so I will run a prey distress call based off of the tracks that I have seen in the area. It gives me a better idea about the prey in the area that they are preying upon.

I like to place my call out between 50 and 75 yards when I am using a rifle. More often than not I see coyotes coming up from downwind to take a look at the source of the sound. They don't necessarily approach from that way, I see many start to circle to come in from the side of the call or slightly behind the call. So I sit where I can watch the downwind side, but I give them enough room to make their approach and that puts them right in my shot zone. If they come in from the other side, it usually puts them in the 100-150 yard range.

I shorten up the distance I put my call out if I am running my shotgun but the set up is the same.

I aim my call up to the sky. I do this because I noticed several coyotes that came in under the tree my call was in, start circling like they had lost the location of the caller. Circling gives me more opportunities for a shot.

I will let the call rip with a pretty high volume. I haven't seen too many rabbits that have had broken legs or that get picked off by a coyote start "screaming" softly. They scream loud and long.

In some areas, that might get pressure from Wal-martians that feel the need to suddenly become mighty hunters, I will try calls that other hunters aren't using.

Pay attention to what you are seeing in the area that you are hunting. Find scat, kick it apart, find out what they are eating. Sometimes it pays off to just sit in an area and observe the behaviors of coyotes. One time, AzBushman and myself saw some guys out mowing an alfalfa field. So we stopped and were watching them. Bushman looks over and points out a coyote sitting on the edge of the field, watching. Once the equipment moved off to a distance, the coyote hopped up and started "mowing" the field itself, nose down. Lots of little critters don't escape the field equipment. So Bushman and I made it a habit to note the times of year that the fields are getting harvested.

We also noticed a higher concentration of coyotes during calving season. So we marked those dates too.

Every hunter has different experiences. One nice thing about this community is the ability to share info. I try to take something from as many people as I can and that helps me to formulate my own strategy coupled with what I have seen when I am out in the field.

Originally Posted By: ZYou can call to a coyote a mile away and he can pinpoint the sound exactly.

They are able to triangulate the sound with great precision, from waaaay out there.

I watched one come around a hill after my initial 20 seconds of sound. She was maybe 1,500yds out when I saw her. I never made another sound, and she stopped about 30yds out, staring at my location.

Their hearing is outstanding, and their nose is even better.

I play continuous both day and night. Night time is what really made me change from pauses on the ecall like you would with a hand call. More than once I saw a coyote way out coming to the call then when I paused they would lose interest really quickly and hold up.

From then on I just play pretty much continuous if I am using an ecall. Hand calls are obviously different as well and howls.

Back