Triples Galore: Kirsch Chronicles

Kirsch

This night was an interesting one. I had no coyotes in the first few stands of the night. It looked like it was going to be a bust. I then shot a Triple, Quad, and another Triple on the next 3 stands The two sets of triples are in this video. On the last triple, I had a double down and thought the stand was over. I turned off the video recording, and got up and scanned one last time when I spotted another coyote coming. I forgot to turn the video back on.

Korey, you're making that guy with you work hard on those long retrieves. Lol, I remember killing one last year about that same distance and my (younger) hunting partner told me the next time you shoot one at that distance you can go get him. Great video as usual.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpKorey, you're making that guy with you work hard on those long retrieves. Lol, I remember killing one last year about that same distance and my (younger) hunting partner told me the next time you shoot one at that distance you can go get him. Great video as usual. At least that long retrieve was a nice coyote. When you go that far and drag it back, you want to at least get some decent $ for it.

Fine job all around. Great shooting and video work. Ask Bering optics if they can incorporate a saftey that would not allow you to fire the rifle until the record button is activated. Not
everybody needs that, but for folks like you, DU, ME that shoot sometimes without it on. Just a thought.

For the Super Hogster, I do something I have never done before. I start the recording when the stand starts and turn it off when done. Bering uses such high compression, the file sizes still aren't very large. It starts a new file every 10 minutes. When the hunt is done, I download all the files to my computer, and then delete all the files with no coyote action. I then start editing. By starting it at the beginning of the stand, I don't have to worry about turning it on when I see a coyote. This has led to far less non-recorded coyotes, less movement when I see a coyote, and less anxiety always waiting to press the record button.

Another awesome video.

Question on your suppressor. After the first shot in the video the second coyote was just standing there. Did that happen before without a suppressor? How many additional coyotes do you think the suppressor helps you get?

Anytime I have two come in that close together after the first shot that second dog is gone! I’ve got a couple on order and I am going to F1 a can to acquire one sooner.

Originally Posted By: dirtytoughAnother awesome video.

Question on your suppressor. After the first shot in the video the second coyote was just standing there. Did that happen before without a suppressor? How many additional coyotes do you think the suppressor helps you get?

Anytime I have two come in that close together after the first shot that second dog is gone! I’ve got a couple on order and I am going to F1 a can to acquire one sooner. Thank you for the kind words. Does a suppressor help, the answer is yes. Does it mean I get 2x or 3x the coyotes, no. It isn't very often the 2nd coyote stays rock solid like that one did. I was surprised when I swung over and it hadn't moved.

However, I have shot more doubles, triples, and quads in the last 2-3 years than ever before. I even shot 7 on one stand last year. I believe the chance at getting additional coyotes after the first shot is probably even a bigger impact that getting multiple coyotes that come in together.

This may sound silly but our lakes are really cracking/booming as ice is being added. If you are by a lake, you hear a fairly regular banging sound that is very loud as the lakes are adding additional ice. At times, I think the coyotes have become a little accustomed to this sound. We see this in the fall with the propane canons used to scare away blackbirds from corn and sunflower fields.

For all of you that comment on my videos, it is greatly appreciated. I don't respond after each one but know that I do appreciate the comments. I typically respond if there is a question. I didn't want anyone to think their comments weren't appreciated as they truly are.

Back