Caller advice

hawkeye58

My grandson and I are thinking starting calling. Not sure about using mouth calls.

Any recommendations on a beginner electronic caller.

Thanks
Chris

It is always good to have mouth calls as a backup if something goes FUBAR with your electronic caller. I find that after a while pretending to be a dying rabbit or fawn can get exhausting before the day is out and I don't like the additional movement of the hands to create variable pitches. I would recommend 2 or 3 hand calls (rabbit, coyote howler, fawn) and a good beginner electronic call like the Icotec 300 which goes for about 80 bucks. If you find that you really like this game then you can upgrade to the Icotec 500 (or any one of their other larger calls that also have about 200 sounds built in). There are innumerable excellent remote callers out there that will do the job. You question is like "What is the best rifle and caliber for deer hunting? Or what car should I get?" There are lots of good answers.

Get one that is easy to read the sound list. As I get older I have to wear glasses to read and at night its a pain, not to mention more movement putting them on and taking them off every time I want to change sounds. Closed mouth calls are easier to use then open reed, However they freeze up due to moisture in cold weather.

You're getting some good advice. Today's electronic callers are all very similar in their capabilities. As the guys have said, they will all call in coyotes. If you're not, there is usually nothing wrong with the call, but it is the "caller" and your stand set up that will cost you coyotes.

I use handcalls with my E-Caller. I will use them at the same time. One problem that newer callers run into with hand calls is that they over call, and the coyotes come right to them and drop into your lap. With a hand call, less is more.

Good luck and good hunting.

You have been given some great advice already. I agree with what everyone else has said.

I've had coyotes come into all kinds of sounds. Hand calls are not difficult to learn to use and I would recommend buying at least one hand call even if you do get an electronic caller.

I believe most of my success in calling coyotes is determined before I make my first sound on a stand. Learning to select good stand locations and approaching those stand locations in a way that minimizes the chances of coyotes seeing, smelling or hearing you is more important than exact sounds you call with.

'Kissing' the back of my hand has called in cats, fox, coyotes, owls, hawks, etc., so as long as I have one hand, I can call stuff in.

E-calls shorten your learning curve as to how-to-call, but I like hand calls better in that I can add 'emotions' to my call. Heck, I started with an old car cassette player and a Radio Shack speaker horn, and called in a lot of coyotes.

There are 2 common answers to your question:

1, most any e-call will work for you;

2, stand selection, which I consider to be more than 50% of the equation. Pick one that puts the odds in your favor.

For example, if you set up with a brushy ravine 100yds downwind of your stand, you might not see any coyotes, as they will use the cover to wind you.

Thanks,
I went with the ICOtec GC350 Gen 2 Electronic Predator Call. Midwayusa had a good price.

My 12 year old grandson is crazy to hunt and fish. We both got our first turkey last spring and he got his first deer this fall.

I want to keep him outside as much as possible. He likes mouth calls so I will pick one up.

Chris

Since you will pick one up for him, you might like to check out the hand call section of this forum. Many very talented call makers present. Good idea to start his and your collection with one for each. This will give you both the opportunity to practice together and get a hang of it. They are easy too use and fun. Quality time together is the huge plus!

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=8&page=1

Great that you are taking time together, Good Luck

Tim

Back