Finishing a custom???

pyscodog

I recently purchased a semi-custom rifle. I call it "semi" mainly because a Remington action was used. The rifle was built by Loren Peter out of Vancouver Wash, on an XP-100 single shot action. Caliber is 223AI using a Lilja barrel and nicely bedded in a McMillan Game Warden stock. Now for the "finishing part". It still has the original dog leg bolt handle. It works just fine although its short and kind of hard to reach, at least for me. I've emailed Accu-tig and he can replace it, and the cost is very reasonable. I just wonder if it is a needed expense. In my opinion, I think it would "finish" the build. Others have told me to leave it alone as it goes well with the action. I understand their thoughts and if it was still a pistol, I wouldn't touch it. But it isn't a pistol any longer. What do you think????

I think it's your money and if YOU think it would look better to your eyes by having it replaced that is exactly what you should do with it. If you're looking for a little push toward having it replaced I'll gladly shove you that direction. Life is to short to be stuck with a gun you think is ugly or even semi ugly.

Last edited:
I'll agree with B23. On the other hand, that dogleg is kind of a trademark on the XP100. Maybe resale some day might come into play...I don't know. Tough call.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts not so much ugly.....just seems unfinished.

I don't know about that. The McM Game Warden is not only a good looking stock design but a modern looking stock and when I visualize that old looking bolt handle in a McM Game Warden, sorry, but I kinda wince and think ugly. lol

Last edited:
Is the stock inletted specifically for the bolt? I looked at a couple original xp bolts, I can see how you are concerned about the look.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog^^^^^That's kinda where I'm at.^^^^^

Then it sounds like you already know the answer. Now get it shipped off and that fugly old bolt handles swapped out. See, wasn't that easy. I love helping people spend their money instead of it always being the other way around.
thumbup.gif

I called Dan to make arrangements but got a recording. Waiting a return call. You know, I have never had a big problem spending money. LOL But thanks for the extra help!!!

Well, I talked to Accu-Tig. I got the information I needed but ran into a snag of sorts. My bolt has a Sako extractor. He said if he felt it was installed wrong, he would wipe his finger prints off it and send it back. How the he11 do I know if its installed wrong? I know it extracts and throws a empty hull farther than I care to walk to pick it up. It appears,at least to me, that the extractor was done correctly. It looks really nice and works very well. Now I just hate to ship it to Alaska just to have it returned if he doesn't like it. Guess I have two choices, ship it or leave it alone.

Well, I changed my mind again. I talked with another gunsmith and he uses Dan a lot and highly recommended him. Guess its on it way to Alaska in the morning.

Well, I got my bolt back from Accu-Tig. Dan did a wonderful job. Guess I'll join the long list of people that will refer him to others. Now my rifle looks like a custom rifle!!!!! Very Pleased.

I do have one other project planned for my rifle, a custom bolt release. Right now I use a pop sickle stick. It works but kinda lame for such a nice rifle. No hurry but in the near future I hope.

Back