22 grendel or 22bgw load

Took the 64 grain tgk load out this weekend and got some dogs down, this bullet is very explosive at 3440fps, I still have a bunch from this weekend, so after I do a bit more testing with them accuracy and operation I will see what I need or want to do about slowing down a touch or if I want to go back to the 69 grain tmk as they never seemed to explode quite as bad.

Will see what comes out of this bullet. Don't mind the expansion, but want it the not tear the dog up and at times it did.

Great round. My neighbor and hunting partner uses one. He uses 80 grain Berger’s at around 3050 FPS. Flat shooter. Very little recoil.

A couple more pics from Andrew7. He'll have to lay out the who, what where..LOL

qZAXguf.jpg

eLLvquW.jpg

Greg

Thanks Greg, I will work on the photo acct so I can post.

These were all eastern Washington dogs taken at night. These 64 tgk bullets are very explosive running them hot. 3x Friday night I seen fur or what ever flying from dogs through the thermal. I do need to do some more shooting with these as this weekend was the 1st time over 100 yards and I am kinda of thinking running it hot with these I am going to need to keep things a bit cleaner to keep them tight in accuracy. My groups with the thermal were not as good as the day scope, but that would probably be due to tripod mounted shooting. Maybe should have sighted in on bipod, but I like to sight in the way I will be shooting.

I have the 22Grendel as my calling rig. It’s a 7 twist 20” barrel with a can shooting 80gr ELDM’s. It easily gets to 3100fps with CFE223. I tried Varget first but couldn’t get the velocity I wanted. If you want to shoot the 69-75gr bullets you will have no problems getting over 3000fps. I do have some 77gr Nosler bullets loaded up but haven’t taken the time to shoot over chrono yet.

Originally Posted By: SpinkCo.I have the 22Grendel as my calling rig. It’s a 7 twist 20” barrel with a can shooting 80gr ELDM’s. It easily gets to 3100fps with CFE223. I tried Varget first but couldn’t get the velocity I wanted. If you want to shoot the 69-75gr bullets you will have no problems getting over 3000fps. I do have some 77gr Nosler bullets loaded up but haven’t taken the time to shoot over chrono yet.

Nice. Did you ever try H4895? I have 77tmk and about 16# of H4895 and the same # in 8208xbr, so thought I would start there. Not terribly keen on how dirty cfe223 is and would prefer something with better temp stability. I too am shooting a 20" / 7tw suppressed.

Last edited:
I have stuck with CFE223 so far. I came across some Reloder10x the last time I was in a store. I’m going to try some of that with the 80s. I’d be interested in seeing what the xbr can do.

Just got a bunch of 60 grain tmk bullets in today, got a pressure string loaded and 3 sets of 3 to test overall length. Very interested to see what speed and accuracy comes from these.

Still haven't got out and ran the 60's over the chrono yet, but did have another hunt with the 64 tgk and am not liking how they leave holes. As soon as I find out if the 60 tmk will hold together, shoot well and kill like the 69 tmk i will dump all the 64 tgk

Are they splashing on entrance or blowing nasty exit holes?

A friend tried the 75 amax in a 22x47 back when they first came out and they blew nasty entrance holes on shoulder blades but wouldn't get into the thoracic cavity.

These 64's went fast.

Does anyone have any 69 tmk's they would sell or trade? I have about 2800 60 tmks rite now about to run a few strings and see how well they do and then get them on fur

Back