I think I’m going to build a 204r dedicated coyote AR rifle

Ricky Bobby

I have a few stripped lowers laying around so I’m thinking I may as well get one of them put to good use. Since I’m already setup for reloading the 204r with a couple bolt guns it only makes sense to me to build an AR in this chambering as well. I’m looking at building it for a dedicated coyote hunting rig and leaning towards a longer barrel to keep my speeds up. Looking for any suggestions towards this build before I start searching and ordering parts. Thought maybe there’s a few here that have been down this road.

I went 10 twist, BHW 20" for running suppressed. Pushing 35 Bergers with 8208. Used a BCA side charger upper. Like it a bunch.

I wouldn't turn down another one, mine has been shot out for a few years now. But it was a pdog slaying machine. Now I have 2 cheap bolt guns in 204, they are very accurate but not nearly as fun lol. I agree go 11 twist or 10, shoot the 40's if you can get them. The buck the wind noticeably better.

I liked the x-caliber 204 ar barrel I got the best. I had a lilja but on the third time sending it back to the factory, I told them to keep it and issue a refund. The lilja never would feed right. It looked to me like they left a sharp edge on the chamber cut and it would catch on the brass and make it hang up there every shot. The APF 204 barrel I have is ok too, but they used a midlength gas system that really needed an adjustable gas block to function right. Way too much gas, but it functions and shoots ok. The guy at x-caliber was really helpful on the phone. I did have to send the x-caliber back to get the gas port opened up larger, so the gun would cycle. They took care of it right away had the barrel back to me and optimized for an adjustable gas block in about a week. The two times I sent the 204 barrel back to lilja took much longer and the process was dragged out months. I will be buying another x-caliber 204 barrel soon.

Had one in 204 before and wish I would have kept it. Mine was a 10 twist BHW, 22” long. If I were doing another I wouldn’t go any shorter than 22”, and at least an 11” twist. 22” is about my favorite length for the longer barrels. I don’t use suppressors so I opt for a crowned muzzle instead of threaded to keep from adding more length or weight with a comp or flash hider that you don’t really need.

Back