A few AR questions

dirtytough

I'm new to AR's and am going to put together an AR10 in 22 Creed for night hunting. I am going to use an Aero Precision upper/lower. Probably something in the 22" barrel range with a 9 twist. That way I can still shoot lighter weight bullets for max point blank range. Rifle +2. An SLR adjustable gas block. I will put a suppressor on it.

What contour to go with? Even what they call a lightweight contour looks like a heavy enough contour to me compared to what I am used to in bolt rifles.

What length buffer tube and buffer to go with? I was thinking of using the JP Silent Capture.

Thanks for any suggestions. Regards, Branden

Good plans, sounds like a sweet build. I am no expert but agree the barrels seem heavier. I'd go with a pencil or close to it. Fixed length buffer and adjustable PRS style stock is what I like. I finally got an SLR gas block this year and absolutely love it.

Looks like you have the right idea. I've used a couple of x-caliber barrels because they had more options for lighter profile longer barrels than most.

I have some pointers:

1. AR-10s are not as modular as AR-15s. Make sure that all parts fit (check to be sure).

2. SLR adjustable gas block: good choice.

3. Barrel contour. This is the big question. Your suppressor will require a minimum muzzle diameter. That is the shoulder/area right next to the threads. I assume you will have a 1/2x28 thread pitch. I have a Sico Specwar. It requires a minimum muzzle diameter of .725. What suppressor do you have and what is the minimum muzzle diameter for it?

4. Consider your barrel length in this. 22" + a 9" can = 31". That is a very long rig to swing around. I run a very short barrel for night hunting.

I would go with something light enough to hike around but thick enough to meet the suppressor's requirements.

Enjoy!

TC

Last edited:
are you going to be building an AR-10, a DPMS LR-308 platform, a DPMS GII LR308 platform or a vltor ar-308 platform gun? and we wont even talk about LWRC's totally bastardized proprietary stuff...

thats an important distinction. Like tonester said.. there is no "mil spec" standard for the ar-308 platform... and there's at least 4 distinct formats of it out there that you'll find parts compatibility issues with.

know your base platform, and make sure you order the rest of your parts accordingly. My cousin just got the same surprise, building out dpms pattern ar-308's, and ordered some ar-10 parts for it only to find out several problems, and now he's going back and re-doing two builds to correct them...

they're minor issues (wrong buffer (too long), wrong bolt catch (ar-15)) but the buffer being too long for the dpms pattern didnt even allow him to pickup a round from the mag, and the bolt catch doenst let him BHO at all.

I'll just add...

There's a reason small bore to chamber ratio AR10's are not as popular. Getting them to run successfully is the problem. Gas port pressure, gas volume, dwell time, etc. are all issues to content with.

Back