Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3264974 - 01/07/21 10:34 AM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
Yotarunner Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far east central alberta
Nice ! Looks like your finally getting into some decent fur.

Trophy_country_coyotes on Instagram.

#3265015 - 01/07/21 02:03 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
crazyyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: ohio
Thanks for taking us on your hunts!!

#3265507 - 01/10/21 03:12 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: crazyyote]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Central Alberta
Originally Posted By: Yotarunner
Nice ! Looks like your finally getting into some decent fur.

I felt I was due smile
Originally Posted By: crazyyote
Thanks for taking us on your hunts!!

Thanks for taking the time to join wink

#3265509 - 01/10/21 03:15 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Not having been back to the cow carcass for over a week and notified of an additional carcass added, I knew where I would be going this morning. My weather station showed a breeze from the southeast which would be well suited for this spot.
Parked almost a half mile away and followed a well packed cow path south to the drainage. Walking east along the bottom of the drainage would hide my approach for as close as I dared before cutting upward to the a small clump of willow trees. From this spot I had a clear shooting lane to the cow carcasses which had been ranged on my last visit at 191 yards. Looking somewhat like a cat stalking a mouse, my last few yards of progress was very slow. Each footstep was carefully placed trying to avoid stepping on crunchy snow and unexpected twigs that may alert any nearby keen ears . As I approached the willow bush, I couldn’t see any coyotes but with a limited view of the area, I was still optimistic.
After getting set up, I had only been sitting for a few minutes before seeing all the magpies lift off the cow carcasses and fly into the nearby trees. I was expecting to see a coyote appear but a half minute later, all the magpies glide back down to the carcasses. Another minute or two passes and once again the magpies lift off but this time I see the reason for their departure. A coyote who is now standing on top a carcass quickly disappears on the far side before I could settle the cross hairs on fur. I was getting glimpses of the coyote who was soon joined by a few magpies for breakfast but really had no clear shot.
Suddenly the coyote jumps onto a carcass again but it isn’t there long enough for me to get a shot off.
Roughly 3 minutes later, patience pays off as I see the coyote jump atop the carcass once again. I slide the safety off, and following the crack of the 223 AI, a 64 gr. Berger bullet finds its mark. (191 yards)

Magpies flew up at the report of the rifle but I also caught glimpses of a coyote skirting the ridge to the northeast. This coyote keeps glancing behind it as it distances itself from the cow carcasses but unknown to it, it’s actually coming closer to me. The coyote looked uncertain which way it should run and I knew it couldn’t travel much further west before it would catch my scent. A vocal howl on my part stops the coyote and once again a 64 gr Berger is sent on its way. A 121 yard shot has coyote number two down for the morning.

I never seen this coyote earlier but it must have been close-by when I shot the first one.

Edited by Snowshoes (01/10/21 08:57 PM)

#3265562 - 01/10/21 09:23 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
lockrotor Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Central WI
Congrats on getting a double from the dead pile. The first one looks better then the second one. But it's great that you are getting something. Yes walking on those truck tracks is not for quick walking. Easy too slip and fall. Congrats

#3265703 - 01/11/21 08:04 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
Yotarunner Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far east central alberta
I'm always amazed at how you manage to find so many high density coyote populations and trails. I just found a location like many of yours which now makes 2 that I have found and one of em is at my own work! Haha

Trophy_country_coyotes on Instagram.

#3266015 - 01/13/21 08:08 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
Grigsby Offline
Predator Master

Loc: ND
Nice work Snowshoes, and thanks for sharing. I'm glad you include photos, they add a lot to the stories.

#3266214 - 01/14/21 09:12 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
borkon Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: minnesota
I know of several dead pile pits but have really not given much thought to sneaking in in the dark waiting for daylight.
My "go gettingest" wouldnt allow it.
When after coyotes, I gotta be active.
May have to rethink things?

winner of the first annual Coyotehunter.net Tournament Series

#3266407 - 01/16/21 12:34 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: lockrotor]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: lockrotor
Congrats on getting a double from the dead pile. The first one looks better then the second one. But it's great that you are getting something. Yes walking on those truck tracks is not for quick walking. Easy too slip and fall. Congrats

The first one was a nicer coyote but both went home with me smile

#3266408 - 01/16/21 12:38 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: borkon]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: Yotarunner
I'm always amazed at how you manage to find so many high density coyote populations and trails. I just found a location like many of yours which now makes 2 that I have found and one of em is at my own work! Haha

Two is a good start smile The trails are my go-to when calling slows down.
Originally Posted By: Grigsby
Nice work Snowshoes, and thanks for sharing. I'm glad you include photos, they add a lot to the stories.

Thanks, Grigsby
Originally Posted By: borkon
I know of several dead pile pits but have really not given much thought to sneaking in in the dark waiting for daylight.
My "go gettingest" wouldnt allow it.
When after coyotes, I gotta be active.
May have to rethink things?

I usually get a couple chances but the coyotes soon figure the game out and leave before my arrival.

#3266415 - 01/16/21 01:13 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

With a fairly strong wind out of the west this morning, I had a couple trails in mind to watch. I hadn't been back to this spot in roughly a month and hoped the coyotes were once again confident to travel this route.
Got caught up answering a couple emails first thing this morning and ended up leaving later than I planned. Legal shooting light was only a couple minutes away as I was backing out of the garage but I was only driving a couple miles from home and then a couple hundred yard walk from the truck.
Roughly ten minutes after getting settled in at my lookout point, I see a pair of coyotes following the edge of the slough to the northwest of me. They cut south on the one trail which I figured to be around 100 yards away. The lead coyote is a scruffy looking thing and I hold off for the second one but its only marginally better looking. The second coyote catches up to the first one and both are standing on my packed snowmobile trail directly west of me. I pick the second coyote and send a 64 gr Berger bullet on its way. The impact of the bullet drops the coyote and the other one tears off west using my trail as an escape route.
I ranged the fallen coyote twice and both times got a reading of 100 yards. I figured it was around 100 yards but turns out it was exactly that. Who needs a rangefinder smile
Seen a couple more coyotes in the field but nothing within shooting range.
Looking west at the coyote laying on my walking trail.

Looking north at the coyotes trail.

#3266492 - 01/16/21 10:55 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
lockrotor Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Central WI
Congrats Snowshoes, glad you got another one down. It's a shame that both were no good, but make great practice. We got horser s**t weather thursday, friday. Rain,sleet,snow. Everything is very crunchy. Hoping to go give it a try next weekend. Will see how the ribs handle it. Congrats.

#3266631 - 01/17/21 07:06 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: lockrotor]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: lockrotor
Congrats Snowshoes, glad you got another one down. It's a shame that both were no good, but make great practice. We got horser s**t weather thursday, friday. Rain,sleet,snow. Everything is very crunchy. Hoping to go give it a try next weekend. Will see how the ribs handle it. Congrats.

Our warm temperatures are suppose to be coming to an end by mid week which might be a good thing. Calling may see more responses than what I have been experiencing lately.

Hopefully your ribs wont give you too much grief come next weekend. smile

#3266635 - 01/17/21 07:10 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

A relatively calm morning with a temperature hovering near the freezing mark would suit me just fine for watching coyote trails once again. A different location than yesterday but otherwise the same plan which sure doesn’t complicate things for me smile. ( Sit, Wait, See coyote, Hopefully shoot coyote........repeat)
Blue skies gave way to grey, as a few snow flurries passed through leaving a light dusting of tiny white flakes scattered about.
Within a couple feet of me, a chickadee was hopping from cattail to cattail which was keeping me entertained and for a grand finale, it decided to land on my rifle barrel for a couple seconds to check me out.
A half hour passes before seeing a coyote crest a far hill to the southeast and within a few seconds, two more coyotes are observed traveling the same route. They all disappear into a low spot and I take the opportunity to get lined up and ready for their arrival. A couple minutes later, I have all three coming my direction and when the lead coyote stops, I take the shot. Dropping the one coyote, I chamber another round but the other two vacated the area in short order using the lay of the land to their advantage.
(Ranged the shot at 154 yards)

The coyote trail as it enters the slough bottom.

#3266641 - 01/17/21 07:26 PM Re: January 2021 [Re: Snowshoes]
borkon Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: minnesota
Snoeshoes,What percentage do you figger are really nice this year?

I don't think I've shot 1 that I would consider superb.
Most all have some kinda back of the neck issues.

winner of the first annual Coyotehunter.net Tournament Series

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  AWS, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.