Looking for a coyote hunter

Jimgm

I have a 100 acre high fenced deer ranch in Magnolia, TX. I have had a breech in my fence and have at least one or two coyotes trapped on the property. Along with a ton of raccoon, possums, and a few grey fox. Am wondering if that would be of interest to anyone that wants to come do some shooting. Am primarily looking to drop the coyotes. There is also a large pack that patrols nightly just outside my fence. I have a nice blind set up, the rest is up to the hunter. No charge of course as you would be doing me a favor. If interested contact me at Jim.g.martens@gmail.com.

Too far for me to travel from El Paso but good luck on getting someone to remove the coyotes. Trapping the coyotes may be another good option.

WOW that less than a 1/8 section. Is that like 200 yards square?
Could you get a dozen guys with shotguns and drive them into a corner and shoot them?

One acre is 660 ft by 66 ft, there is 43,560 square feet in one acre.

So 100 acres would be 6,600 ft by 660 ft.

6,600 ft X 660 ft = 4,356,000 sq ft divided by 43,560 sq ft = 100 acres

So 100 acres could be 220 yards by 2200 yards.

A section 1 mile by 1 mile is 660 acres I think.
so a 1/8 section is 82.5 acres
In my mind, 100 acres is a little over a 1/8 section.
I would bet you can shoot a 22 from corner to corner.
No way to HUNT coyotes in there. Just wank them to the corner and dust them with shot.

Last edited:
To walk the coyotes into a corner would be worth a shot, if you have enough people to stay about effective shotgun range apart. I volunteered to help capture coyotes at a coyote research facility a few times and the rascals would run at the line and look for weak points, then dart through. Just make sure you get folks you can trust not to shoot you
wink.gif

After that let some young hunters in there to get the smaller game.

Jetman, your're very close. A full section is 640 acres.

No offense meant to the OP, but is that really conidered a ranch?

Originally Posted By: SubpaRJetman, your're very close. A full section is 640 acres.

No offense meant to the OP, but is that really conidered a ranch?

I shouldn't open this can of worms but .... I would consider 100 acres a ranch just as much as I would consider most high fence shooting I have seen to be hunting .

I own a small farm/ranch and it is about 4000 acres all told .

edited to add ....
Upon reflecting that came off harsh when put to text and I want it understood that I don't have an issue with critter shooting . Prairie dogs are not hunted , they are shot . When I go to S TX on a friends little 80 acre place ( though no fence so to speak rather than high fence ) to shoot pigs its shooting . Set in a stand and plink them when they come to a feeder . I don't have an issue with the practice I just wont call it hunting or ethical pursuit of game

Last edited:
You are right about the can of worms.

Quote:Set in a stand and plink them when they come to a feeder . I don't have an issue with the practice I just wont call it hunting or ethical pursuit of game

Is it the fence or the feeder that makes it "unethical" in your mind?

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerYou are right about the can of worms.

Originally Posted By: FarmDadSet in a stand and plink them when they come to a feeder . I don't have an issue with the practice I just wont call it hunting or ethical pursuit of game

Is it the fence or the feeder that makes it "unethical" in your mind?

Originally Posted By: FarmDadI shouldn't open this can of worms but .... I would consider 100 acres a ranch just as much as I would consider most high fence shooting I have seen to be hunting .

ETA: Question for FarmDad.
From your most elevated perch,if it's the fence,is 4000 acres the magic number? If not, just what is the number of acres you would condone hunting within?

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
There's some pretty harsh responses here. The man didn't seem to be embellishing in his post. He's offered someone to come out for free. That says something in that most everything is pay for hunt in TX. I don't care how big or small, a landowner has money tied up in property, taxes and insurance.

Guys .... Don't go all woolly on me about this . Up here it is Illegal to bait game , in fact I am not sure shooting yotes off a used cow is legal from a game hunting status though it is as livestock predation control . We do have some managed game ranches that sell " hunts " for trophy grade elk, deer , buffalo , ect.. as well as upland birds . Its not my thing though I have said here on several posts that I don't consider myself a coyote hunter rather a coyote shooter because to me they are targets of opportunity rather than pursuit with a call ( though I am trying to learn more about calling them in ) . I don't have a real issue with critter shooters no matter the critter, I do however take issue with calling it hunting . Where do the lines cross ... well like much of life it can and does vary . To me if an animal has enough acreage to live a natural life year round , enough cover to hide from predators that might be there then yes pursuing that animal is hunting . If however it was hand fed in a pen last week or hauled in via trailer and dumped into a parcel of ground that it or they could not naturally sustain themselves on then it is shooting .
I am in no way throwing rocks at the OP , he has a business model that seems to be working for him and I am glad . I also have no " elevated perch " because up here my place is middling small to tiny . I do allow on a case by case basis the " great unwashed public " to hunt or shoot ( in the case of prairie dogs ) any game on my ground and have yet to charge a trespass fee to anyone . Its not the custom to lease hunting rights or charge fee up here ( yet ) and frankly had I not made friends with the fella I mentioned I would have never shot a pig because I just won't pay to play like that . He considers it a fair trade to come up here and shoot prairie dogs or make a try for mule deer and have me come down and plink some pigs on his place . I consider it friends doing what friends do .

Edited to add
In fact I hope someone here will be close enough to go help him out with his yote problem because one thing I can tell you about fences .. they all fail sooner or later no matter the work you put into them .

Last edited:
Quote:I own a small farm/ranch and it is about 4000 acres all told

Easy to say you "won't pay to play" when you have a "small" 4000 acres to hunt.

"Baiting" is illegal up there, but I guess they still hunt alfalfa, corn and wheat fields?

I see that they will harvest thousands of acres of corn, and then leave a few acres of standing corn, but that isn't considered baiting.

I know that what many northern states call "woods" are little more than tree rows or wood lots. Can you walk through the "woods" up there without tearing your clothes off? Can't do that in a lot of places down here.

My point is, different methods are sometimes required in different places.

In some states turkey decoys are illegal, but does that mean that where it is legal it is "unethical"? Same could be said about electronic callers, AR15 rifles, dogs, and a lot of other things.

When you use the word "ethical" or "unethical" you just swung a wide loop.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerWhen you use the word "ethical" or "unethical" you just swung a wide loop.

That is true and in the case of most of the members I have seen here also uncalled for me to question their ethics . I do stand by my opinions of hunting vs shooting but did not intend to question anyone's ethics here .
My bad on that issue and I do stand corrected for being thoughtless on my phrasing .

Back