Got my Savage M25 17 Hornet (range report)

bmoore

I got my M25 yesterday in 17 Hornet. I was very happy with the rifles fit and finish. The medium contour (call it medium/heavy) barrel is nicely free floated and the stock is much better than the plastic stocks on the Axis. I own an Axis and this stock seems to be more solid and much better made, I was happily surprised. The rifle handles very well. The action is smooth and seems to be getting better with a limited number of rounds down range. The magazine is another nice surprise. It is solid and well made, it is super smooth to load and feed. The magazine is nice. Overall the rifles aesthetics exceeded my expectations for the M25 walking varminter.

Shooting. The rifle just plain shoots. The trigger was set just under 3lb from the factory. I took 7 different loads out with me today and they all shot under 7/8 inch.....most 1/2 or under. The two best of the day was 9.3 grains of W296 under a 15.5 grain Hornady NTX lead free. This load shot 1/3 inch and had a 3,508fps avg. The other was Hornady factory 20grn Vmax that shot 1/3 inch also and had a 3,574fps avg. The next best was 12.2 grains of H322 under a 25grn Vmax and shot .4 inches. The 12.2 charge had a 3,020fps avg. All 3 of these loads will be getting 5 shot groups next time. The rifle was quiet and had as much recoil as my 22 magnum (maybe). It was super fun and easy to shoot. I have a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm on it.

THE BAD. The rifle does have the weak ejection problem that I knew I was rolling the dice on. It barely dribbles the brass out and sometimes it stays on top of the mag. It really was not a big deal, I just rotated the rifle 45 degrees or so and the brass came out fine. I am being very careful to not lose any brass anyway so this did not bother me much at all. I found this issue yesterday after I got it home and tested it with brass. The extractor seems weak to me, I can pull it away from the bolt face very easily with my finger. The ejector plunger seems stiff and solid how it should be. I was on the phone with Savage this morning 6am CA time. They picked up quick and had an extractor, spring and detent on the way to me. Fingers crossed.

The rifle carries well, it is light and their is no magazine digging in your back. The varmint profile barrel certainly adds some weight but it is a good weight. It makes the rifle easy to shoot and helps with seeing your impacts through the scope. Another thing, the barrel does not heat up much at all. I did not exactly burn through the rounds but it did not get remotely close to hot. It really is fantastic walking varminter.

Figured you'd like it. I sold mine to a friend and he loves his. Its in a laminate t-hole stock. His shoots really well with handloads.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogFigured you'd like it. I sold mine to a friend and he loves his. Its in a laminate t-hole stock. His shoots really well with handloads.

Yes, I really like it. If I can get the ejection fixed I will be extremely happy with it.

Delighted, but not surprised that you too have fallen in love with the little .17 Whore Gnat. Mine is the CZ 527 Varmint which I bought after doing a bit of research and having experience with other CZ 527's on other calibers.

With the right handloads you should be able to shrink those groups right up. I am disappointed when I cannot get 5 shots into less than half inch with mine. It shoots that factory 20 grain Vmax so well that I would not even handload for it if not for the economics of it.

Earlier this year it I noticed that after several thousands of rounds that it was not grouping as well as it once did and not wanting to settle for "good enough" accuracy decided a to go ahead and put a new barrel on it. A Shilen in this case. Hopefully this one will will last me the rest of my life. I hope so because I dearly love this little round. Our local ground squirrels? Not so much!

Originally Posted By: RustydustDelighted, but not surprised that you too have fallen in love with the little .17 Whore Gnat. Mine is the CZ 527 Varmint which I bought after doing a bit of research and having experience with other CZ 527's on other calibers.

With the right handloads you should be able to shrink those groups right up. I am disappointed when I cannot get 5 shots into less than half inch with mine. It shoots that factory 20 grain Vmax so well that I would not even handload for it if not for the economics of it.

Earlier this year it I noticed that after several thousands of rounds that it was not grouping as well as it once did and not wanting to settle for "good enough" accuracy dedided a to go ahead and put a new barrel on it. A Shilen in this case. Hopefully this one will will last me the rest of my life. I hope so because I dearly love this little round. Our local ground squirrels? Not so much!

This cartridge is awesome. A good friend of mine has the CZ527 varmint in 17, it is a super nice rifle.

Very nice I’ve just started looking at the 17hornet. Where did you locate the rifle in stock? Good luck with it
Thanks

Originally Posted By: twhiteyVery nice I’ve just started looking at the 17hornet. Where did you locate the rifle in stock? Good luck with it
Thanks

Thanks. I ordered it back on Nov 24. I put myself on Buds email notification for the M25 and the CZ 527 Hornet in late October. The day they became available my local guy here in town had the M25 available as well. I got it through him and the rest were out of stock in 24 hours.

bmoore, your m25 shoots about like mine. good. no extraction problems with mine.

i had a gs shorten, thread and crown my barrel. that made it group even better. much handier now also.

it is the funnest to shoot gun i own.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotbmoore, your m25 shoots about like mine. good. no extraction problems with mine.

i had a gs shorten, thread and crown my barrel. that made it group even better. much handier now also.

it is the funnest to shoot gun i own.

Fantastic. Hopefully the new parts fix the problem. I can't believe how fun the rifle/cartridge is.

Bmoore....Could you shoot a few factory rounds at 100 yards and let us know what kind of groups it shoots ? I dont reload and was thinking about buying one of these rifles. Thanks. Marty

After using the 22 mag for years. Which I'm still satisfied with its performance but, I wanted a little more range. I broke down and bought a CZ 17 HH varmeter. I bought a Muller scope with adjustable brightness red dot. I shot my first coyote with the only shells I could get 20gr.Vmax. At 120yds Drop where he stood as if lightening hit him. Wow, I was hooked. But after seeing the bullet penetrate 17inches thru him and blow a 1 1/2 hole out the other side, I decided to reload 25gr. HP. After a lot of testing I loaded down to 2950fps. After numerous coyotes and fox kills with no fur damage, no sewing. Shots ranging from 25yds. out pass 200yds. No bs, one shot and drop, no spinner, no runners. I'm still impressed. Shot placement is a must, wind is its enemy. Setting the trigger for each shot can be a pain on doubles. But make no mistake its deadly. Largest coyote so far 53lbs a little over 180yds Dropped in its tracks without a twitch.

Glad to hear your rifle is showing some solid promise!

Regarding the weak ejection, that’s a problem that I struggled with on a Savage model 10 in .300 blackout that I built. If you follow the link below, I believe it is page 3 of that thread, a gentleman outlines how to modify your ejector to give a bit more positive ejection. I’m not certain that the model 25 ejector is exactly identical to the model 10, but I’m assuming (yea, I know) that they are similar enough that this may help you out. Hope it helps!

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78951

Back