Coyote Rifle Build Question

Concentricity certainly does matter. And tight necks are super easy to work with for the life of the brass.

Way back when the world was young, I made up a batch of .22-250 out of .308 to make tight (and long) neck brass for a factory chamber. Fun project, good learning experience for a pup (which I was). Worked out really well. Still have that batch of brass somewhere I bet.

What was really interesting, was sectioning some of that brass, along with the WW stuff I normally used back then and comparing. And measuring capacity. Surprisingly big difference. And it was the .308 stuff that had the greater.

Like I said, fun project, good learning.

- DAA

I would bet the average hunter/shooter will never wear out a barrel. For those that do, good for you ! As luck would have it, they make new ones everyday !

the only barrel I ever shot out was a 22-250 in a very large p dog town many years ago. Got the barrel sooo hot it smoked my finger when I accidentally touched it. Gun never shot right after that.I know really dumb and young.

A friend recently built a 22-250 AI (similar ballistics to 22 creedmoor) and with 88 grn eld-m bullets it destroyed coyotes. He switched to a 6xc wildcat he made and 87? grn bergers to not destroy them so bad. The 22-250 AI shot great though. He had a 22" barrel and a can on it.

Originally Posted By: BangPopI can tell you one really good reason to do the case forming from .243 brass. You can end up with a far better shooting rifle if the necks are concentric and somewhere in the .003 clearance on a loaded round. It may not be something some of you guys want to do but that doesn't mean there's no value in going to the trouble to do it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it or can't do it.

My rounds are all concentric with .003 clearance. That's just how reloading is properly done. This useless activity described above does nothing to improve concentricity or attain the proper clearance over and above what anyone should do reloading.

All I can say is good job! You spent hours to attain the same result my 8 year old gets in seconds.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI would bet the average hunter/shooter will never wear out a barrel. For those that do, good for you ! As luck would have it, they make new ones everyday !

The old saying is " that is why barrels have theads on the end, so you can put a new one on"

Sometimes I wonder how many years it would take me to wear out one rifle setup for coyotes? Guessing about 50 coyotes a year? 20+ years maybe?

.243 every time I shot hundreds of Foxes and maybe four hundred deer with mine before the barrel gave in.
We were out four or five nights a week for about ten years ( then got divorced of course) and hardly ever came back with out one or two Foxes in the bag.
I used 55gr BT and they were hitting around 4100 fps never shot over 350yards and most were under 200 only had couple get up and ask for a second helping!

Originally Posted By: BobTIf I were looking at a short action coyote rifle and not worried about saving fur I would look very hard at the .243 Winchester or the 6mm Remington.

X2

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI would bet the average hunter/shooter will never wear out a barrel. For those that do, good for you ! As luck would have it, they make new ones everyday !

The old saying is " that is why barrels have theads on the end, so you can put a new one on"

Sometimes I wonder how many years it would take me to wear out one rifle setup for coyotes? Guessing about 50 coyotes a year? 20+ years maybe?

Maybe even a few steel sessions to help with that burn out!

Back