Vortex viper hst vs Athlon

bigtommy

I am looking at one of these scopes in the 4-16 range. This will go on my 243 which I hunt coyote with and shoot target with. What are your thoughts.

Last edited:
What model Athlon? I am a vortex guy and the recent picture thread in the firearms forum shows it but I just got a Tikka 25-06 that had an athlon talos 6-24 which is their cheaper line and it seems like a decent scope.

I cant really weigh in on their expensive line but if it were my money, I would buy what I know and that is Vortex. HST's can be found used for $350-$500 and Midway sells them on sale for around 40% if you catch a deal. The exposed windage turret on the HST isnt worth the extra money IMO for a strictly hunting gun. The HS-LR is a great option. I believe Midway had them on sale recently for $350 for the 4-16x44 Model. That is what I would buy.

I looked at those they are 1/2 MOA click adjustments for elevation. I would prefer 1/4 MOA or MRAD. The athlon I’ve looked at is the Midas btr.

Last edited:
I am a Vortex, guy too. I own a 4-16 HST and picked it up on sale. MRADS all the way. What sold me is the style/options and their customer service. I picked up a used VIPER PST and they serviced everything. Rock solid customer service.

I don't know anything about Athlon, though.

After a couple of negative experiences with Vortex CS, I recently tried Athlon. My two Athlons are equal to or better than Vortex in that they are clear and bright.

For my eyes Vortex glass has a haze that I do not find with other scopes. When I focus on a paper target the lines on the target are surrounded by a blurry purplish haze and are not crisp. I find this result with Viper HS-T, PST Gen1 and to a lesser extent with PST Gen2. I do not experience this issue the several other brands of scopes.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWell I bought a vortex viper hst 4-16 today at scheels on sale for 449.

You will be happy with it as long as you never look through a
similar priced Athlon.

Back