Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3265407 - 01/09/21 09:03 PM #2 for 2021
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
I had about 10 hogs come out to the feeder after the deer had already left this evening.

This was a pretty good sow, so I will make a little pan sausage. I have been hearing about the heart girth measurement technique for aging hogs, so I did a little measurement actual weight comparision.

The heart girth I came up with 3 different times was right at 36 inches. I then put her on my digital scale to get an actual weight.

According to the chart for girth measurement, it said 160 pounds, which I thought from experience was going to be heavy. Actual weight on my digital scale was 132 pounds.

This was the first one I have tried this on, so I intend test it some more before I come to a conclusion may have to cinch it a little more snug to get a good measurement.

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

#3265468 - 01/10/21 10:19 AM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Yellowhammer]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
She's a fat one. By all appearances, you could probably stand to cut back on the corn, a bit. wink

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3265533 - 01/10/21 06:27 PM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Yellowhammer]
DesertRam Offline

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Nice pig!

#3265731 - 01/12/21 07:00 AM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Yellowhammer]
Coyote#1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: KY
Nice.. Whats your favorite caliber?

#3265766 - 01/12/21 11:26 AM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Coyote#1]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Been using the Creedmoor lately since I am deer hunting as well. Once deer season is over, I will switch to something else. I usually use the .223 outside of deer season, but I am thinking about switching to me 22 mag and doing head shots as I can shoot the 22 mag a lot cheaper.

I just got a 300 black out upper to use when I get a thermal. Plopping down that kind of money takes some building up for. Once you spend it, you can't go back.

#3265789 - 01/12/21 02:04 PM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Yellowhammer]
Coyote#1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer
Been using the Creedmoor lately since I am deer hunting as well. Once deer season is over, I will switch to something else. I usually use the .223 outside of deer season, but I am thinking about switching to me 22 mag and doing head shots as I can shoot the 22 mag a lot cheaper.

I just got a 300 black out upper to use when I get a thermal. Plopping down that kind of money takes some building up for. Once you spend it, you can't go back.

Yea thats quite the investment for a decent scope! Guess that upper wasn't to cheap either... I talked to a fellow on RFC that actually uses a 22mag & has taken several hogs with it.. Looked like it worked quite well for him.. I've banged the coyotes up pretty good with the little rnd myself.

I do enjoy the pics! keep dropping them & posting..

#3265800 - 01/12/21 03:44 PM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Coyote#1]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

I've taken quite a few with a .22 mag in the paste. Several years ago there was a state WMA that was loaded with hogs and archery only. Then they added muzzle loader an rimfire. Got a muzzle loader and killed some with it, but only one shot cost me a lot of others. Got a bolt action Marlin 22 mag and killed a bunch with it and few with the 22 lr.
Then they dropped the rimfire and added shotgun.

.22 mag is about 33 cents a round now, and .223 hunting loads are at least $1 if not more.

#3265813 - 01/12/21 06:06 PM Re: #2 for 2021 [Re: Yellowhammer]
Coyote#1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Yea its ridiculous! I remember as a kid I would buy the old bolt action military rifles like 7.7 jap - 6.5 carcano because the rifles could be bought very cheap.. I use to complain that the ammo cost nearly as much as the rifle @ 20.00 a box!
Never dreamed I'd see a day that common ammo would be so expensive..

Moderator:  SkyPup 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.