Beavers

Borkborknomnom

I have been out beaver hunting several times and I have learned a couple things 1 they are very active at night 2 they are very hard to shoot with a thermal scope in the water while swimming 3 17 HMR is not enough bullet to kill one 4 you better shoot him on the bank and get them fast or you'll never see their body again....
Anyone have any other tips?

Around here they are considered a fur bearing animal and shooting one is a big no-no. You even need a special permit if they are causing damage. Or call in a licensed trapper.

I've waged war with the vermin. They've wrecked my corn field and out foxed me on my limited trapping knowledge. Now that I've got the traps set right I can't catch them. Thinking my rifle will be a better way of getting them, that is if I can find out what time to wait. The first night I walked up on them and was gunless bank trash looking at them with a light. Ever since I've gone with intent to blast them and can't find'em.

I occasionally hunt them on nuisance permits for landowners with farm ponds. The beavers clog the spillways and tunnel into the dams sometimes.

I hunt them at night with my thermal hog rigs.....6.8 SPC or 6.5 Creedmoor. It's normally warm weather when I hunt them and there are usually plenty of big fat water moccasins around so I hunt from my truck bed.

I back my truck down to the edge of the pond and get up in the bed with a tripod and sit on my tool box to shoot. It keeps me off the ground and also provides a little elevation to angle the shot into the water some. I just turn on a dim red light and leave it on. They seem to be fairly curious and eventually will work their way over to check it out.

Last edited:
fMGcj8D.jpg

I Have shot many a beaver with the 17 HMR, 22 mag 223's.
My favorite is a 22 mag. HMR works if you are close in try for head shots on the water.
I got a new Rossi 22Mag semi auto with a 10 shot mag, this gun works great on beaver esp with 40 gr hp's, the rifle is only $229.00 and makes for an excellent truck, SxS tractor atv rifle.

I have killed lots of problem beaver with a 22 mag and 40gr HP's.
During fall freeze up and the spring thaw beaver will do anything to come up
where there is breaks in the ice. They will climb on top of banks to lay in the sun or
float on the water and munch away on the winter storage pile.
very easy to get rid of a bunch during this time which can last several weeks.

The new Rossi semi auto 22 mag with 10 shot magazine is the perfect rifle for a truck, SxS gun.

Back