#2 for 2021

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I had about 10 hogs come out to the feeder after the deer had already left this evening.

This was a pretty good sow, so I will make a little pan sausage. I have been hearing about the heart girth measurement technique for aging hogs, so I did a little measurement actual weight comparision.

The heart girth I came up with 3 different times was right at 36 inches. I then put her on my digital scale to get an actual weight.

According to the chart for girth measurement, it said 160 pounds, which I thought from experience was going to be heavy. Actual weight on my digital scale was 132 pounds.

This was the first one I have tried this on, so I intend test it some more before I come to a conclusion may have to cinch it a little more snug to get a good measurement.

50819453607_acb08c9fcb_c_d.jpg

She's a fat one. By all appearances, you could probably stand to cut back on the corn, a bit.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Been using the Creedmoor lately since I am deer hunting as well. Once deer season is over, I will switch to something else. I usually use the .223 outside of deer season, but I am thinking about switching to me 22 mag and doing head shots as I can shoot the 22 mag a lot cheaper.

I just got a 300 black out upper to use when I get a thermal. Plopping down that kind of money takes some building up for. Once you spend it, you can't go back.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerBeen using the Creedmoor lately since I am deer hunting as well. Once deer season is over, I will switch to something else. I usually use the .223 outside of deer season, but I am thinking about switching to me 22 mag and doing head shots as I can shoot the 22 mag a lot cheaper.

I just got a 300 black out upper to use when I get a thermal. Plopping down that kind of money takes some building up for. Once you spend it, you can't go back.

Yea thats quite the investment for a decent scope! Guess that upper wasn't to cheap either... I talked to a fellow on RFC that actually uses a 22mag & has taken several hogs with it.. Looked like it worked quite well for him.. I've banged the coyotes up pretty good with the little rnd myself.

I do enjoy the pics! keep dropping them & posting..

I've taken quite a few with a .22 mag in the paste. Several years ago there was a state WMA that was loaded with hogs and archery only. Then they added muzzle loader an rimfire. Got a muzzle loader and killed some with it, but only one shot cost me a lot of others. Got a bolt action Marlin 22 mag and killed a bunch with it and few with the 22 lr.
Then they dropped the rimfire and added shotgun.

.22 mag is about 33 cents a round now, and .223 hunting loads are at least $1 if not more.

Yea its ridiculous! I remember as a kid I would buy the old bolt action military rifles like 7.7 jap - 6.5 carcano because the rifles could be bought very cheap.. I use to complain that the ammo cost nearly as much as the rifle @ 20.00 a box!
Never dreamed I'd see a day that common ammo would be so expensive..

Back