Rugged Suppressors?

flowj

Anybody here have any experience with Rugged Suppressors? I'm getting ready to take the plunge and was at my LGS saturday. They are dealers for several suppressors including TBAC. The owner informed me his best seller is Rugged. He showed me the Radient 7.62 model. It is full auto rated with no barrel length restrictions. They also have a lifetime warranty. I'm really concerned with accuracy. The 6X6.8 A/R I'm putting it on is a solid half inch gun. Any input would be great. Thanks

I have a Rugged radiant 7.62 that I am happy with. Use it on multiple guns and seems to shoot to same POI all the time.

I also have a Thunder Beast that is still waiting on the paperwork to come back so I can pick it up. Buddy has had 2 of them for a while now and really likes them. They have a great reputation for repeatability on POI.

" best sellers " mean nothing to me. Hard to really get any good data from sales of cans, as you can't really try one out before buying.

Is it a flow through model? If not, there's no way I would get one for an AR.

Don't have a clue what flow through means. That's why I'm asking questions. I had made up my mind to get TBAC Ultra 9 just from research. This store owner has one of the largest if not the largest gun stores in Ky. He sells a lot of stuff. He is a dealer for several brands he told me what he has the most repeat sells on was the Rugged brand. They have been making cans since 2014. I just want to make the right choice before laying out 1 large then waiting.

Next can i buy will be either a TBAC rimfire or a TBAC Ultra 7. I have a Griffin Recce 7 which is great, but it's heavy and needs a $80 MD for every rifle. Keep the MD price in mind when you're considering things.

In hindsight I kind of wish I had gone with a lighter/direct thread option but I also wanted something rated for a 12.5" 6.8 barrel which my Griffin does.

I looked at the Rugged MICRO 30 last night. I read up on it, too. It is user serviceable, modular, full auto rated, and just over 11oz in the short configuration. I like that model but I do not own one.

I own Banish and Silencer CO suppressors. I have no problems with accuracy with any of my cans. I have done some research and I see that TBAC has a reputation for their performance when added to a long range or precision rifle.

I would take some things into consideration before buying. As a general rule, the longer and heavier the can ~ the quieter your report will be. Barrel length, barrel thickness, and caliber will also be variables in how loud/quiet your report will be.

The 6x6.8 is a .243 bullet in a 6.8 case. I have heard the 6.8 caliber, supersonic, and suppressed in a 16" barrel. It was still loud enough to need hearing protection.

Here are some questions you can ask yourself:

What is the primary purpose for using this can? (fun, hunting, long range hunting, etc.)

Do I want direct thread or QD? (I like QD mounts but both have their pros/cons)

Is weight a factor? (Hiking around a 2lb can is not ideal but will be quieter than lighter cans)

Is overall length a factor? (are you hiking, sitting in a blind, shooting off of a bench?)

Is accuracy a factor? (Banish and TBAC have a good reputations in this area)

Take some time to jot down what you want and then go with the questions to finalize your choice.

TC

Thanks for your input. I'm arranging to actually get with a guy that owns a rugged and see first hand. Accuracy is most important to me. I spend to much time on load development to screw something on to reverse it. Thanks

If accuracy is the most important, TBAC will be the best choice.

Rugged will perform better if you want to do mag dumps, lots of continuous shooting, or full-auto.

TBAC ultras require cool-down time and they are not full auto rated. From their site:

MATERIAL PROPERTIES
The Ultras were designed to be the "ultimate" lightweight precision rifle suppressor. This means we used materials to meet those goals. Titanium, even Grade 5, is ultimately limited by temperature. The Ultras are very strong but excursions above 800 degrees are not good for the material. If you take it far enough above 1000 degrees, it will get too weak to sustain the blast and you would eventually get a failure. We recommend keeping the Ultra series less than 800 degrees.

"Full auto by itself does not really increase the pressure or stress on the can, it's the heat energy input in combination. Full auto or bursts would be fine on an Ultra as long as the material temperature does not exceed that 800 degree safety mark. In our testing, one magazine fired rapid (mag-dump) from from an AR-10 or AR-15 does not exceed 800 degrees. Keep in mind this is firing at a full-auto-like rate. At that point you'd just have to let it cool.
The second magazine may or may not cause it to exceed it depending on ambient conditions, loads, barrel length, etc. A shorter barrel will cause more heat input into the suppressor and its temperature will rise faster."

TC

TBAC is a good can. Quiet and accurate. Banish 30 is also. I have both and prefer the 9 inch configuration in both of them. My first was the Banish and it is still my favorite. They both have zero point of impact change. Don't be afraid to use them on an AR I have used both of mine on AR's and also use an adjustable gas block. Once they're dialed in with the gas block, you don't have any issues with excess gas and the gas block actually takes some noise out.

I have a rugged radiant 7.62 and like it a lot. I get same poi with my 9” 300blkout at 70yards. I also run the same can on my 300win mag. Overall rugged makes a great suppressor and has a great warranty

Originally Posted By: 1loboTBAC is a good can. Quiet and accurate. Banish 30 is also. I have both and prefer the 9 inch configuration in both of them. My first was the Banish and it is still my favorite. They both have zero point of impact change. Don't be afraid to use them on an AR I have used both of mine on AR's and also use an adjustable gas block. Once they're dialed in with the gas block, you don't have any issues with excess gas and the gas block actually takes some noise out.

I'm not arguing this but zero impact change?

Back