Interesting find today

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Were we checking out ghost towns and old mines. We were in the Victorio Hills near the old town of Chance near the NM-AZ border, only a few foundations and a few mine shafts left there. We found a couple of cartridges dating from the original era. First was unmarked but rather unique a 45-75 Winchester, I had to get my cartridge book out and find the dimensions to identify it and the second one was a WRA 44WCF. Rewarding day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSWere we checking out ghost towns and old mines. We were in the Victorio Hills near the old town of Chance near the NM-AZ border, only a few foundations and a few mine shafts left there. We found a couple of cartridges dating from the original era. First was unmarked but rather unique a 45-75 Winchester, I had to get my cartridge book out and find the dimensions to identify it and the second one was a WRA 44WCF. Rewarding day.

Well come on now, don't keep us waiting. Post some pics, please.

That's always neat to find old stuff while out knocking around.

It's been five or six years, maybe more, and I can't remember for certain, but I think I figured out this is a 45-75.

untitled-3W.jpg

untitled-4W.jpg

I found it out in the sage brush on a coyote stand. Sat down to start the caller, and it was sitting on the ground right next to me so I picked it up.

- DAA

almost looks like the 38-40 casing i found a few years ago. ive got it just sitting on my oddities shelf.

neat find!

That's awesome. One of my favorite things to find when I metal detect. I don't believe I have found a 45-75 yet. My best so far are some 44 henry rim fires that I dug near an old Calvary camp.

Never found anything other than badly corroded cartridge cases, but this buckle was uncovered by FIL while digging in flower bed in the 1950's about 3 miles from an old fort located near the bank of Rio Grande River. Would love to know the story behind this one.

50857049746_5fa1a53cbf_w.jpg
50857046456_b9bc891537_w.jpg

Regards,
hm

Been a while since I been out hunting fields.. Last time I went hunting arrowheads, I found 2 walking liberty halves.
Looked for a few more hours thinking they was probably in a mason jar that got busted by a disk & possibly drug..
Never found anymore.. Sold them 2 for the silver! Wish I'd kept them now..

We were out to the Victorio Mts. again today and found two 45-60 and a 41 Colt cases. Also a nickel plated 38 Special but left that one out there.

Last edited:
Back