Three Dog Night

DoubleUp

We saw a pair in the field riding in. So, we reversed course and got ahead of them. As soon as the call started they were coming, but the way we were set up in a hurry, the call wasn't far enough upwind for them come into our lap. I could tell they were going to go by us and then swing around us to get the wind. It was my turn to shoot first, so I took the closest (rear dog) on a mostly broadside shot.

Shot knocked him down and I knew he was hit hard but as I was swinging to get on the other one, I saw the first one get up. When the second one stopped I killed him but almost hit the first one as he was passing by. First one ran a few more yards and stopped, and I finished him off. As we were trying to decide how to get across a canal to them, we heard another set go off. So we left those in the field and moved 3/4 of a mile to try for the second group.

It was my partner's turn to shoot first this time, and as soon as he turned the call on they were coming on a string. They stopped at about 50-60 yds., but my partner's rifle clicked when he tried to fire. So, I shot the lead dog. Blew the bottom of his chest out but he got up and ran so I had to shoot him again.

The second dog never did stop for a shot. The one in the picture is my 3rd one of the night. Decent size male but looked like he had been in a lot of fights. I'll have to try and find the first two tomorrow. I didn't get any video of the second set. My dvr stopped recording. I may have bumped it off accidentally. Video is of the first set where I killed the double.

#23 by Double Up, on Flickr

Went back and recoverd the double today. Here is the Big Male. I had to do a little graphics work to cover up where the buzzards were eating away at where the kill shot hit him.

#21 by Double Up, on Flickr

And this is the female. She has already been rubbed.

#22 by Double Up, on Flickr

He had a lot of reddish cast to his fur. Too bad the fur isn't any good around here. Has it picked up for you yet?

Back