Budget coyote scope?

Mcfly

I have been needing a scope for over a year now, yet haven't bought one because it is a hassle and I'm indecisive.

223 bolt gun for coyotes and general use. I was thinking around 4-14 under $400, preferably much closer to $300. What would you all choose?

At this price point, I'm not too interested in paying for a name. It just doesn't leave enough for a decent scope. I just ordered an Argos 4-20x50, but I'm not certain if I'll put it on the 223 or not. I just need to top some rifles, as it seems irresponsible to have rifles that can't be aimed

Originally Posted By: AWShere's an interesting one, kind of caught my eye for an all around coyote hunting scope for open country. I have the 1.5-6 version of it.

Nearly half off the list price

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/speci...riation=1911500 ok, that looks about perfect for the 223, and the 56mm is a huge plus. I just sent the wife a link and told her I wanted it for my birthday. Its already ordered.

Thank you for the link

My old stand-by for cheap scopes was the OLD model simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44. I have 2 that are going on 20 yrs and have been on everything from 22lr to 338wm and beat many a mile on a 4 wheeler and they always have held zero.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Leupold
Leupold seems like they have been in an awkward limbo for a decade or so. They really aren't the best in any category, and it almost seems like they are just riding their reputation from their glory days. Maybe they are worth considering?

Originally Posted By: McflyOriginally Posted By: AWShere's an interesting one, kind of caught my eye for an all around coyote hunting scope for open country. I have the 1.5-6 version of it.

Nearly half off the list price

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/speci...riation=1911500 ok, that looks about perfect for the 223, and the 56mm is a huge plus. I just sent the wife a link and told her I wanted it for my birthday. Its already ordered.

Thank you for the link

Good timing by your wife. We sold a ton of these the last few days and now we are down to only 1 left

I was really close to getting a burris last year, but went with the viper pst gen 2. Should have bought the burris because I lost $ dumping the viper on ebay. I guess it is time to try a burris, as it can't be worse.... I hope

I like Nikon for the money. But get them before they are gone. I have run a 4-12 coyote special and have few coyotes that complain. Easy to use. Tough.

I also have used a Millet 4-16 but it is a bit heavy. But it is nice to have a mil-dot that has a green reticle

Originally Posted By: McflyOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Leupold
Leupold seems like they have been in an awkward limbo for a decade or so. They really aren't the best in any category, and it almost seems like they are just riding their reputation from their glory days. Maybe they are worth considering?

Well put. They turned me off when the released the Freedom line. Not impressed at all, much rather have the VX1 and VX2 line back. I own quite a few VX3/VX-3i in various powers but I agree, until you get to the higher end stuff VX5HD and up, their line is lacking. Vortex is great stuff but has its drawbacks, mainly glass quality. The viper is good, buts only good. They dont have much as far as hunting scope.

Vortex Crossfire ll. 6-18x44. I bought (2) of them this year for AR15 guns. $179.00 from sportsman’s guide. Regular 220.00.
I have been very happy. Power range has been perfect and scope is very clear. Marty

My Leupolds are the old VARI X III from way back when they had AO on them,do not have any newer ones my buddy has 2 newer ones and is happy with them

Check out Bushnell Elite 3500 series. Not my favorite glass, but good glass for the money. Try Midway USA, Brownells, Natchez etc.. I bought a couple for $179 a piece, I think, a while ago, and have been happy. Especially for a hunting scope.

Last edited:
I just got the athlon today and noticed something very strange. The magnification goes up when turned clockwise. I'm pretty certain every other variable scope I have owned is lowest power at full clockwise. Is this just a stupid mistake they made on this model, or is there not an actual standard direction?

Originally Posted By: McflyI just got the athlon today and noticed something very strange. The magnification goes up when turned clockwise. I'm pretty certain every other variable scope I have owned is lowest power at full clockwise. Is this just a stupid mistake they made on this model, or is there not an actual standard direction?

Maybe it's a left handed scope.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: GMAN_RCheck out Bushnell Elite 3500 series. Not my favorite glass, but good glass for the money. Try Midway USA, Brownells, Natchez etc.. I bought a couple for $179 a piece, I think, a while ago, and have been happy. Especially for a hunting scope. I just can't stand the thought of a 40mm objective, especially in cheap glass. I have never wished I had a smaller objective, but I always wish for more exit pupil. I do appreciate the specific recommendation though.

Back