Covid Shot Info

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
My daughter hurt her shoulder at work, workman's comp deal.

Went for a check up yesterday, her doc walks in with his arm in a sling.

No, didn't hurt his shoulder. After work on wed he got a covid shot. It hurt some, no more than expected. During the evening it hurt more.

During the night it hurt more, woke him up several times.

When he got up in the morning he couldn't move his arm.

"You couldn't move it or it hurt too much to move?"

Couldn't move it. Totally dead from the shoulder to finger tips. He went & got checked out. They told him it was an allergic reaction that caused the muscles in the arm to seize up. Should clear up in time.

This is a new one on me, I've heard of some reactions but not like this.

They talked about the vaccine a bit, he said there was a lengthy list of stuff that if you have, you shouldn't get the shot.

Any allergies
Obese
High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Any history of head injury
Any breathing problems (including asthma)
and more.

That list is going to preclude a lot of people from getting the shot who at higher risk & should get it.

I don't know which vaccine it was, phizer or moderna but I think so far those are the only ones that have come into the state so far.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishMy daughter hurt her shoulder at work, workman's comp deal.

Went for a check up yesterday, her doc walks in with his arm in a sling.

No, didn't hurt his shoulder. After work on wed he got a covid shot. It hurt some, no more than expected. During the evening it hurt more.

During the night it hurt more, woke him up several times.

When he got up in the morning he couldn't move his arm.

"You couldn't move it or it hurt too much to move?"

Couldn't move it. Totally dead from the shoulder to finger tips. He went & got checked out. They told him it was an allergic reaction that caused the muscles in the arm to seize up. Should clear up in time.

This is a new one on me, I've heard of some reactions but not like this.

They talked about the vaccine a bit, he said there was a lengthy list of stuff that if you have, you shouldn't get the shot.

Any allergies
Obese
High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Any history of head injury
Any breathing problems (including asthma)
and more.

That list is going to preclude a lot of people from getting the shot who at higher risk & should get it.

I don't know which vaccine it was, phizer or moderna but I think so far those are the only ones that have come into the state so far.

The mRNA vaccine is very safe. This is why they had Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3 trials with thousands of volunteers and it was a double blind study where the people giving the vaccine didn't know if it was the real vaccine or a blank. And they only get the results at the end of the study which lasted for several months. Very few people get a reaction from either vaccine. Some had had reactions to some of the blanks that didn't contain any of the mRNA parts of the vaccine and that was because they were allergic to some of the liquids used to make the vaccine. This is true with the regular flu shot as well. I had a bad reaction to the flu shot back in 2018. It took almost a year for my arm to get back to normal. I had pain in the left arm for over a year. It's finally resolved itself now. I got a flu shot every year since. And I never got the flu or got sick. 95% of the people who get the vaccine don't have a problem other than a little redness at the site of the shot. So why are you making a thread and telling people about one person who had a sore arm for a while? Are you trying to scare people so that they don't get the vaccine? I'm just wondering what your angle is. Many on the far right that listen to Trump and Dr. Atlas and Peter Navaro try to scare people into not getting the vaccine. And all three of those idiots told people to not wear a mask and went around the WH spreading the virus to everyone they came into contact with, including many in the Secret Service. So I would encourage people to get vaccinated with either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines as soon as possible. Trump lied to you and called the Virus a hoax but Trump knew all along that the virus was highly contagious and dangerous to many people. 360,000 + people have already died in the USA. And there are small children who got the virus and didn't know they had it until they had multiple organ failures (MIS-C) Look it up. Millions have been infected with the SARS CoV2 virus already all over the world.

Trump never called the virus a hoax.

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I'm relaying information that came from a practicing MD who got the shot this wednesday.

He clearly wasn't expecting the list of reasons to not get it. None applied to him so he got it.

This was his reaction. It's a type of one that I have not seen or heard of before.

Those reasons -and my list is not complete, just the ones my daughter remembered & told me about- are quite common among our population. Based on just that short list, I shouldn't get it, my wife shouldn't get it & my daughter shouldn't get it.

So the question is, what are people like us supposed to do? When the clamoring demand that everyone get the shot runs up against the medical screening wall that says "If you have any of these, you SHOULD NOT GET THE SHOT", you're just going to have a problem vaccinating those people.

That's what my [beeep] angle is.

When the phizer vaccine started being used, on day one they had a couple of allergic reactions & on day 2 the news was all about "if you have a history or allergic reactions, you shouldn't get the shot" kind of stuff but I didn't see anything that listed just what that meant. Bee/ant allergic, seasonal allergies, peanuts, what?

There's a broad spectrum of allergies & I don't expect all to apply to the vaccine but don't know yet.

Since then there have been a few more people reported with reactions, almost all recovered. There was one lady doc who died but I haven't read much & am not sure if she died of the shot or if the timing was just coincidental.

Again, I also don't know which vaccine this doc got & others may not end up with the same list.

Phizer & moderna both use messenger RNA and the vaccines are similar but not interchangeable. Other vaccines in the works are not messenger RNA, work differently & may well not result in the same sorts of reactions, remains to be seen.

I don't know what to say to that Stu other than there are serious side effects from the flu vaccines and people have been taking them by the millions for decades now. The CDC tells us that to date nearly 370,000 Americans have died from the China virus. I have not heard of anyone dying from the vaccine yet,have you?

I know exactly how to say this:

What does what you just posted have todo with ANYTHING I've posted?

Stop setting up straw men.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI know exactly how to say this:

What does what you just posted have to do with ANYTHING I've posted?

stop setting up straw men.

I was not criticizing you or anything you said in this thread. I apologize if you took it that way. I was simply pointing out that the threat of the approved vaccines showing serious side effects is almost nonexistent. Straw men??

Almost non-existent does not mean non-existent. A clinical test of 40,000 people is great but necessarily limited. There is simply no way such a set of tests is going to account for everyone in the population. It's a good start & a good indicator if we can proceed to use it but when we start injecting 10's of millions of people we're going to find some things that the tests didn't, no way around it.

I have not said no one should get vaccinated.

I am not an anti-vaxxer.

I have not said these shots are killing people, with the possible single exception of one doctor who died. And I was clear in that I don't know that they're attributing the shot as the cause.

I have relayed real world information of a reaction to one that happened locally, 2 days ago.

I have relayed real world information of what was news to me (and apparently this Dr) of a list of conditions that are contrary indicators for getting the vaccine. Several of which apply to each person in my family & are quite common among Americans in general. I would think that these things would be of interest to people. I have not seen any of these things reported in local or national news, with the exception of some undefined allergies.

5 of those things listed apply to me directly. I think just maybe I should be concerned about my potential for getting vaccinated.

FWIW a quick google turned this up:

High blood pressure (hypertension) is one of the most prevalent health conditions facing Americans. In fact, 68 million Americans – 1 in every 3 U.S. adults – have high blood pressure, and nearly 20 percent do not know they have it.

Nearly 29 million adult Americans have total cholesterol levels higher than 240 mg/dL. 7% of U.S. children and adolescents ages 6 to 19 have high total cholesterol. High cholesterol has no symptoms, so many people don't know that their cholesterol is too high. Sep 8, 2020

I have no idea how many of those overlap, have both. I do, so the total number should be lower than the combined 98 million of those 2 groups, but it's still going to be 10's of millions.

And either of those conditions are contrary indicators for this vaccine, meaning they shouldn't get the shot.

Now, obese:

In the United States, 36.5 percent of adults are obese. Another 32.5 percent of American adults are overweight. In all, more than two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese. Jun 2, 2020

Again, I expect that these numbers overlap, probably in large numbers. Obese people are likely to have high blood pressure, probably likely to also have high cholesterol, so the total at risk group is smaller than the sum of each but it's still a lot of people.

So this isn't a trivial thing.

I need to see if he told her which vaccine it was & if not, maybe she can ask at her next office visit. She tore a muscle in her shoulder so she's going to be seeing him for a while yet.

This now has ne wondering about other types of vaccines, we'll find out as they start getting approved for public use.

This is from Healthline:

- Experts say the COVID-19 vaccine is safe for most people.

- There are no known safety issues for pregnant people, those who are breastfeeding, or people who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 in the past, according to experts.

-They note that people who’ve had severe allergic reactions to any ingredients in the vaccine should not get it.

-People who have autoimmune or other conditions should check with their doctor before getting the vaccine, experts say.

As of this week nearly 6,800,000 people in the U.S.A. have received the Covid-19 vaccine.

Originally Posted By: ADK.

- There are no known safety issues for pregnant people, those who are breastfeeding, or people who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 in the past, according to experts.

why in the [beeep] should someone who's tested positive and survived need the vaccine in the first place? you already have antibodies, which is the point of the vaccine.

Not the phizer & maybe moderna vaccines.

The phizer vaccine does not make you immune. You can still catch the virus. The way it works is to prevent, in most people, that infection from spreading through your system & making you sick.

They don't know if you could be contagious though. They were asked about that & said that they had not tested for that.

Now, if it prevents you from getting sick, that alone is a great thing. But this vaccine just doesn't work at all the way we think of vaccines.

Other vaccines for it may work similarly or differently, it's one of the things to look at as they become approved for use.

The studies I've read say that antibodies only last 5 - 8 months but no one really knows for sure. There are other studies. Has anyone read something different?

Just saw some coverage on phizer & the new strain. 2 actually, including one from south africa that isn't known to be here yet. The vaccine was shown to be effective against both strains, so that's good news.

Work is going to have Moderna shots on site at some point. The Moderna site has this:

Contraindications

Do not administer the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine to individuals with a known history of severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any component of the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine.

Which is much less than her Dr discussed.

I don't know when these shots are supposed to be available yet but they're working on it.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishWork is going to have Moderna shots on site at some point. The Moderna site has this:

Contraindications

Do not administer the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine to individuals with a known history of severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to any component of the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine.

Which is much less than her Dr discussed.

I don't know when these shots are supposed to be available yet but they're working on it.

It's pretty obvious Stu,that her doc. has his own agenda.

this was posted today by a diver I know. He certified my wife & I as DAN Oxygen providers for scuba:

On Monday Jan 11, I went ahead and got the Moderna COVID-19 vaccination.

About 4 hours after the shot, the injection site became stiff and hard to move (upper arm) 6 hours after the shot it felt like I had been hit in the arm with a 2x4. I also began to notice a low grade headache starting as well as a runny nose.

The next morning (Approx 18 hours post injection), I awoke feeling a bit more tired than normal, a bit sluggish, but otherwise fine. But by lunch time I could no longer trust a fart and I was feeling a bit nauseated, and very tired. As with when I had COVID I could not get rid of the headache with Tylenol. I went and had lunch and hydrated and began feeling a bit better. But around 3pm that day (second day) I was having extreme shivering, followed by bouts of sweating, I checked my temp.... 101.8.

I couldn’t control the shivering so I went to bed early fully clothed and woke up 4 hours later drenched in sweat but still shivering. Took Tylenol to control the fever which was now 102.2. Went back to bed undressed and although I started shivering fell asleep quickly but woke up 2-3 times drenched in sweat.

Next AM, approx 40 hours since injection my arm was still slightly stiff, and I was still tired but otherwise felt fine. Now almost 48 hours after the injection I’m back to normal.

I’ve heard from several sources that the second shot is twice as bad as the first......Awwwwww Lordy! Can’t wait..... 26 more days until [beeep]!

He did say he'd had it before, so maybe that is a factor:

"As with when I had COVID I could not get rid of the headache with Tylenol"

I will get it as soon as I can, but being 69 I have to wait until all the prisoners, addicts, and homeless are taken care of first. I had the chills, fever, sweats, ect., with the new shingles two shot vaccine, but compared to what I went thru when I had shingles, I'd do it again.

Back