Coyote Rifle Build Question

I coyote hunt with 223 or the old reliable 22-250,been doing it since about 1970 or 71.Started with 243,when I rebarrel will look really hard at 22 Creed.Do not think it would be 1 to play with a lot due to barrel life but to kill coyotes think it will probably be my choice.Kind of like flat and fast to reduce margin of error when calling hay fields here in Okla.That being said my middle son just won the year long standing in long range shooting league here in Okla with a 6 Creed so pick your poison and enjoy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Terry LightleI coyote hunt with 223 or the old reliable 22-250,been doing it since about 1970 or 71.Started with 243,when I rebarrel will look really hard at 22 Creed.Do not think it would be 1 to play with a lot due to barrel life but to kill coyotes think it will probably be my choice.Kind of like flat and fast to reduce margin of error when calling hay fields here in Okla.That being said my middle son just won the year long standing in long range shooting league here in Okla with a 6 Creed so pick your poison and enjoy.

Pick your poison and enjoy is absolutely right! I prefer fast and flat as well, which is why I have favored my 220 Swift for so many years. But, I am kind of excited about giving this 243 Win I just put together a good workout as well.
I have a buddy that just bought a 6mm CM in one of the Bergara models and he is in process of putting a load together for it. I will be interested in hearing how that works for him as well.

Originally Posted By: WyoBull
I have a buddy that just bought a 6mm CM in one of the Bergara models and he is in process of putting a load together for it. I will be interested in hearing how that works for him as well.

WyoBull, do you by chance know which bullet/s your buddy plans on shooting in his new 6CM and is he using it for a predator gun or something else?

Are you reloading? Short barrel .243 is just wasting powder. "Johnnys reloading Bench" is shooting an 18" 6mmARC with 90gr sierra gamechanger at 3000FPS with only 30gr or powder. That game changer has a .490 BC and packs 1000ft lbs out at 500yds. A 6mmARC bolt gun with a short barrel and suppressor would be a pretty sweet little rig.

I love my 6 Creedmoor and 22-6mm can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Been thinking about a 22 Creedmoor build.

I looked hard at this question about 12 months ago when I was placing an order for a few Bartleins. Ultimately settled on a #3 contour Fluted 24" finish 1:8.5 twist for a 6mm Creed build. Figured it could do whitetail and pronghorn too. I really dig the ballistics and versatility.

From the reading I did when I decided on it, it will perform close enough to 6MM Rem and right with a .243 while burning less powder. That coyote wont know 100fps difference.

Rifle is still being built so i cant weigh in on performance but to be honest, if you're like me, youll end up building both anyway.

You have many good choices. I have two 6mm Creedmoors. They shoot the 115 gr bergers well and this bullet/gun combo does very well with wind drift compared to most. The 6mm also makes an excellent pronghorn or small deer gun.

The 22 Creedmoor with heaving bullets would also be a great choice for coyotes. However the 6mm Creedmoor has much better factory ammo options. The 6mm also has many bullets to select from if you are going to load your own.

Have you run the velocity numbers with a 18" 243 compared to a 24" 243? if you did please share them. now here is another option for you 22-250 AI. I take 243 Winchester brass and thru a series of sizing cutting and trimming I neck the brass down to 22 caliber. I end up with a tight neck 22-250 AI that is moving over 4000 fps. My lab Radar will not register over 3999. It is a lot of work up front but since the brass fits the chamber so well 1.5 thousands clearance in the neck chamber area the brass does not get work hardened 400 cases should outlast the barrel. Did I mention this round just eats crows.

Last edited:
I'm not in the "go big or go home" approach to coyote hunting. Just about any cartridge you pick will kill coyotes. I use everything from a 22 Mag to 6.5x 58R Sauer. In this day with the political climate I'd stick with the most common cartridges or cartridges that are easily formed from common cartridges. My favorites in bolt actions are in order 222 Rem, 20 Practical, 22-204, 22-250 and the 6x45mm.

Originally Posted By: killahog
Have you run the velocity numbers with a 18" 243 compared to a 24" 243? if you did please share them. now here is another option for you 22-250 AI. I take 243 Winchester brass and thru a series of sizing cutting and trimming I neck the brass down to 22 caliber. I end up with a tight neck 22-250 AI that is moving over 4000 fps. My lab Radar will not register over 3999. It is a lot of work up front but since the brass fits the chamber so well 1.5 thousands clearance in the neck chamber area the brass does not get work hardened 400 cases should outlast the barrel. Did I mention this round just eats crows.

This sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of someone forming brass. What would you do differently with your now exhaustively formed 22-250 w/ 243 headstamp on the 2nd loading that you couldn't do with 22-250 brass?

Originally Posted By: nightcallerOriginally Posted By: killahog

This sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of someone forming brass. What would you do differently with your now exhaustively formed 22-250 w/ 243 headstamp on the 2nd loading that you couldn't do with 22-250 brass?

+1 to nightcaller....

Some people just seem to have a need to see if they can build what's a better tooth pick in their mind only.
laugh.gif

I can tell you one really good reason to do the case forming from .243 brass. You can end up with a far better shooting rifle if the necks are concentric and somewhere in the .003 clearance on a loaded round. It may not be something some of you guys want to do but that doesn't mean there's no value in going to the trouble to do it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it or can't do it.

Originally Posted By: BangPopI can tell you one really good reason to do the case forming from .243 brass. You can end up with a far better shooting rifle if the necks are concentric and somewhere in the .003 clearance on a loaded round. It may not be something some of you guys want to do but that doesn't mean there's no value in going to the trouble to do it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it or can't do it.

Define "far better..."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BangPopI can tell you one really good reason to do the case forming from .243 brass. You can end up with a far better shooting rifle if the necks are concentric and somewhere in the .003 clearance on a loaded round. It may not be something some of you guys want to do but that doesn't mean there's no value in going to the trouble to do it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it or can't do it.

laugh.gif

Back