#6 TSS for Bobcat

Mtns2hunt

Has anyone used #6 TSS for Bobcat? I have #4's loaded for Coyote but as most shots will be close in I am concerned the 4's will do to much damage. I know #6 is used on Geese with great effect and feel that #6 should be good up to 50 yards on Bobcat which is about as far as I will shoot. Appreaciate any feedback.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdepends on what you consider close. but if a cat is close enough that #4 tears it up, #6 probably will also.

I would consider 20 yards close. Any closer and I would not shoot: at least untill the distance opened up some. I supose any TSS would kill at 20 yards but was hoping someone has some experience with the smaller shot at fairly close range. I am going to pattern a couple shotguns tomorrow just to see how the pattern opens up. May need to switch out chokes.

Bobcats are pretty easy to kill with a shotgun, compared to killing a coyote with a shotgun. Bobcat skin is very thin.

TSS #6 shot will kill bobcats with ease. You may want to lower the weight of the shot charge so you don't put 20 to 50 pellet holes completely through both sides of the bobcat.

In 1984 or 1985 I was checking a trap line with a friend that I worked with. It was quail and chukar season. We saw a bobcat walk into some thick brush and my friend grabbed his shotgun and shot the bobcat that we saw with a 1-3/8 oz load of lead #5 shot. The bobcat was about 35 yards away.

When we went up to get the bobcat there was another dead bobcat laying in the brush just above the one that we saw get shot. So lead #4 shot and lead #2 shot should work good on bobcats. Using bigger shot with the same weight shot charge should put less holes in the bobcat.

If you use TSS #6 shot with the same weight as TSS #4 shot you may have WAY MORE holes in the bobcat.

Lead shot will get the job done on bobcats for a much lower price than TSS shot. Do you have to shoot lead free shot?

Below is some pellet size and type information on penetration and pellet counts from KPY Shotshell Ballistics. 2.50" of gel penetration is recommended for killing big geese.

Lead #2 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 53.1 yards with about 110 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
Lead #4 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 33.2 yards with about 170 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #6 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 86.2 yards with about 171 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #4 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 126.3 yards with about 104 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #7 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 67.6 yards with about 91 pellets in 1/2 oz.

Shotgun pellets don't do much damage to fur. But if your not careful you could put way more holes in the pelt than what is needed to make a clean kill.

The above TSS #7 shot 1/2 oz load would be a good 410 load for bobcats.

If you plan on shooting bobcats at 25 to 35 yards away with TSS shot out of a 12 ga a Improved Cylinder choke or a Skeet choke maybe tight enough to cleanly kill bobcats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobBobcats are pretty easy to kill with a shotgun, compared to killing a coyote with a shotgun. Bobcat skin is very thin.

TSS #6 shot will kill bobcats with ease. You may want to lower the weight of the shot charge so you don't put 20 to 50 pellet holes completely through both sides of the bobcat.

In 1984 or 1985 I was checking a trap line with a friend that I worked with. It was quail and chukar season. We saw a bobcat walk into some thick brush and my friend grabbed his shotgun and shot the bobcat that we saw with a 1-3/8 oz load of lead #5 shot. The bobcat was about 35 yards away.

When we went up to get the bobcat there was another dead bobcat laying in the brush just above the one that we saw get shot. So lead #4 shot and lead #2 shot should work good on bobcats. Using bigger shot with the same weight shot charge should put less holes in the bobcat.

If you use TSS #6 shot with the same weight as TSS #4 shot you may have WAY MORE holes in the bobcat.

Lead shot will get the job done on bobcats for a much lower price than TSS shot. Do you have to shoot lead free shot?

Below is some pellet size and type information on penetration and pellet counts from KPY Shotshell Ballistics. 2.50" of gel penetration is recommended for killing big geese.

Lead #2 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 53.1 yards with about 110 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
Lead #4 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 33.2 yards with about 170 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #6 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 86.2 yards with about 171 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #4 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 126.3 yards with about 104 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #7 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 67.6 yards with about 91 pellets in 1/2 oz.

Shotgun pellets don't do much damage to fur. But if your not careful you could put way more holes in the pelt than what is needed to make a clean kill.

The above TSS #7 shot 1/2 oz load would be a good 410 load for bobcats.

If you plan on shooting bobcats at 25 to 35 yards away with TSS shot out of a 12 ga a Improved Cylinder choke or a Skeet choke maybe tight enough to cleanly kill bobcats.

Thank you for such a detailed response. I may need to open my choke up a bit to avoid to many holes. Currently I am shooting a 20g TC with a pattern master choke and a Browning 12g with a turkey choke. The TC is being loaded with #4 Tss at the moment and I will be loading some #6 Tss for it. The 12g is using #4 longbeard. Both guns pattern basket ball groups at 20 yards. I have not had a chance to pattern at 30 yards or farther but will this afternoon.

There is no requirement to use non toxic shot in my area. I am hunting both open ground and close thickets and shots would normally range between 20 and 60 yards.
depending on the terrain. I will continue to pattern and try a couple of different chokes Agian thank you for your feedback.

PS. I will contact my supplier to see what downloaded receipes he may have. The only Shotgun shells I have loaded are for TSS and I follow his advice closly to be safe.

Last edited:
I can verify that 3" lead #2 shot smokes bobcats and foxes out to 50 yards with a good choke. That was my go-to load until being forced to go lead free.
50813561788_28f9e27f15_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobFor coyotes and bobcats you don't need patterns nearly as tight as most guys use for hunting turkeys.

I agree as my biggest fear is blowing a whole in one. I have a pattern master on my 20g. Patterns are not as tight as my Turkey choke. 12 gauge does curently have a Turkey choke but I have ordered a full and modified to try out. Currently shooting #4 LB in 12g.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI can verify that 3" lead #2 shot smokes bobcats and foxes out to 50 yards with a good choke. That was my go-to load until being forced to go lead free.
50813561788_28f9e27f15_c.jpg

I think #2 would smoke them. I have never tried #2 lead only #4 LB. Much of my shooting is in hay feilds so I load TSS #4 for my 20g. Ordered some #6 Tss by mistake but was thinking it should work fine. Currently shooting #4 LB in my 12g. However, when coyote hunting it gets fast and furious very quickly. TSS gives me the edge on patterns and range so will be switching over to TSS in the 12 shortly.

Been seeing a lot of Bobcats on trail cams and killed one during deer season. Concerned about shooting them with tight patterns. Same issue with coyotes: hate blowing holes in them. Appreciate the feedback.

Back