Suggestions needed for my first suppressor

Dultimatpredator

I am finally going to start my search for a suppressor. I would like one to switch out between my 5.56, 14.5" POF and my 2, 243 AR's. I do own a ruger gunsight scout in 450BM but guessing I will have to get a separate can for it? I would like a QD setup. I would like to buy a can that will be hearing safe and extremely quiet. The last couple of days I looked at the dead air line. I also looked at the heavy and cheap $199 Po boy. What dose everyone here seem to like and run? What's the quietest can made?

Last edited:
What dose everyone here seem to like and run? What's the quietest can made? You will probably get a lot of opinions: especially on the latter question.

I recommend that you take a look at the Omega 300 by Silencer CO. It has a TON of options.

TC

I was hoping to find one that I will be a able to safely run without ear protection on my short barreld AR. I am looking at the banish 30. It was rated #1 for the quietest on a 27 milti cal supresor test. Yankee hill came in 2nd.

Last edited:
I’m running a older model TBAC 223P-1 on my AR and it is quiet enough to not wear ear protection. The only regret I have was not getting one that was at least a 30 cal. So I could run it on more guns, luckily I just fixed that and bought a Silencerco Hybrid 46 the other day
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
If I were to to it again, I'd avoid the QD route. Unless you REALLY need to swap from one host to another and run lots of rounds through it, QD is a waste of money to me. I understand how you came to this thought because I went through the same process and now regret it.

Depending on which brand you go with it will be roughly $100 per QD device (guessing). Unless you're running them hard I doubt you'll have any issue with them backing off.

A simple thread protector is lots cheaper than another QD mount plus thread protector for the mount. Next one I buy, if they're not legislated out will be a 5/8x24 direct thread TBAC Ultra 7. And then a rimfire can.

I run the Banish 30 and really like it, but don't have any other suppressors to compare it with. Being all titanium makes for light weight and quiet works for me. I use it in the 9" configuration on a 243 bolt, 16" AR, and 20" AR in 6x45. Works well on all of them and is user serviceable with their break-down tool.

"I was hoping to find one that I will be a able to safely run without ear protection on my short barreld AR. I am looking at the banish 30."

The Banish 30 is light. It is direct thread, though. They offer a Banish 30 Gold which has the other mounts, etc. I own a Banish 45 and I like it.

I run a Silencer CO 556 Spec War on my SBR. My can is full-auto rated and it is still not hearing safe. It tones down noise a lot and removes any felt recoil.

The rule of thumb: the heavier and longer the can ~ the quieter. The shorter and lighter ~ the louder.

To add, A SBR will always be louder than say a 16" barrel. You have a lot of factors to consider when you are looking at your first can.

The .30 caliber can will cover .223 to .243. Now, do you want QD or DT? Is your goal to keep the SBR as quiet as possible?

TC

I have the Thunderbeast ultra 6.5 and ultra 338. They both have QD system and it works well for me. Additional breaks for thunderbeast do cost $100+. I'm happy with them. I have a couple more "in jail". They may have paperwork approved tomorrow or it might not happen until June. I'm hoping the OSS has less blow back as advertised for my AR's.

Regardless of your suppressor, you should still use hearing protection a majority of the time. I don't use hearing protection when calling coyotes or hunting but I do when target shooting. I have significant damage to my hearing due to frequent lack of hearing protection as a teenager and don't want to cause more damage.

TBAC’s are great cans. My first can I bought last year was the ultra 7 6.5. But if you want to run it hard or even semi hard on AR platforms then I’d look at something else. Omega, Nomad 30, sandman series. All good db reductions and won’t feel like a cinder block. Guy I work with recently put a Po Boy in jail. But at 30oz I’d pay more for lighter and better. Last month I bought a sandman L and yesterday ordered the new Nomad LT. Sandman for AR platforms and will never have to worry about over working it. Nomad for max dB reductions. Mainly for hunting and target. Also with Dead Air no barrel restrictions on their auto rated cans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI was hoping to find one that I will be a able to safely run without ear protection on my short barreld AR. I am looking at the banish 30. It was rated #1 for the quietest on a 27 milti cal supresor test. Yankee hill came in 2nd.

I have a Banish 30 and use it on my .277 Wolverine AR pistol, rifle length AR's in .277 WLV and 6mm Mongoose and my Encore rifle in .307 Winchester. Hearing protection is not required with the Banish in 9" configuration on any of my guns. I have not tried my can in the 7" configuration yet but I'm sure it will be a bit louder. The Banish is direct thread though but timing isn't required and I'm not sure why it would be required on any can.

If I were buying another can today with the same purpose in mind I would choose the same thing.

Last edited:
Back