Last hogs of 2020

cherokeetracker

Wanted to figure out how to post pics,,, but seem challenged. 1st sow was about a #100 pounder taken under the green lights. Nothing special, but she busted me and turned towards me, and took an aggressive stance. Figuring she was going to run, I hit her between the shoulder blades with the 5.56.
Now the funny story,,,,,, Trying to get some deer hunting done, I set out for the farthest blind on the ranch. Armed with my 454 pistol. l get to blind and set my backpack down and take a gallon bucket about 1/3 full of Roasted soybeans and corn mix. This particular blind is 97.6yds from the blind. Not our usual distance since most setups are 60 to 80 yds more inline for pistoleros. Using a trick that I do often is place several small batches of bait in small piles sort of spread out,,,, ( in addition to the feeder throw ) as to give me a more strategic layout. This also helps to spread out hogs when I am going after hogs.
BUT, today or that day I was after deer. As I headed back down the slope where the blind is, I am thinking this will be good. Just as I reach the blind, I hear hogs! Whaaaa?
5 small pigs are voraciously tearing up my bait!!!! Now I have used the 454 before and different pistols for hogs, but this time things are different. Thinking no way am I using that pistol and shoot a small pig and have it cost me about $3 I simply walked back to my truck and grabbed my 6.8 loaded with the Hornady 120gr SST. took one shot and dropped the lead sow she was a whopping 25-30# and did not get another shot because of the topography. Remember there was 5 pigs, well 2 went left and 2 went right and they were gone in what seemed like less than 1 second.
My problem was that I got a little aggravated know that my deer hunting was over. I hope to get a chance next week. I will go to another ranch, that does not have hogs.
Maybe I should have ben more patient and tried to get a double with one shot. I have done it before and have done it with that same 454 when that was all I had with me.
But things got the best of me and I just took out one. I did wait for another hour or so to see if they or perhaps another sounder would show. But no luck.
To me this was just too funny not to share. I can laugh at myself over it, and I did laugh at the fact the pigs did not wait for me to get out of sight. They started in on my deer bait. How disrespectful. hahahaha
I got pics on my phone but need to get them uploaded here so that y’all can have an easier time believing. Thanks

trying to add pics

Last edited:

This is little one that I started skinning before I remembered to take a photo

Larger pi

Last pic showing the shot between shoulders

Last edited:
Back