Hog feeder lights

Coyote#1

Not wanting to spend the $$ on night vision for my shotgun because we have a very short night hunting window here in Ky.
So was wondering about the motion activated feeder lights. Anyone use them? Any specifics? I was looking @ this one -

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wildgame-innovations-moonshine%E2%84%A2-2-high-intensity-led-feeder-light

we ordered some green lights offline (Amazon?) I think it was. anyway they are solar powered and have two beams one high and the other low. one the low they will stay on most of the night. on high they last maybe 6 hours. pros no spooking and you can see good enough to take shots with night sites, scope, and you have to get quite close with a red dot and it has to be 2moa or smaller so it does not blind you. Cost was $20-25 ea. Con they don’t stay on all night (on high) as sometimes hogs come in at all different hours.
haven’t looked into changing the solar panel or battery setup.
didn’t look at link

Gotta get close! It's shotgun only at night here in Ky.. Probably set my stand no further than 30-40 yrds.. (12 gauge #4 shot)
The light I am looking at is motion activated.. All the reviews I read claim it won't spook game.. Not sure how high it has to be mounted above to accomplish that?? One review said 6 Ft, if thats true it must not be very bright at all..
Good tip on dot size!

Thanks

there is enough bushes and trees around the feeder that I can get within 20 yds. I use pistols and ARs. I understand the motion detection, and either way will work. I can see the hogs from 350yds away and can always walk close enough and not spook them. I use a green headlamp if needed but this last week plenty of moon made it unnecessary.
Don’t know if you want to spend more money on some night sights ? I was thinking some of those on an extra barrel ? When no moon and you are in complete dark,, night sites work, and high-viz don’t work too well. What I have done is use the green headlamp to see sights. They will spook if you have it on when walking up, and they will spook if you turn it on 20yds away,, but usually come right back. unless they can see you.
you can build yourself a ground blind and then you can even use a white light, and iron sights on a pistol or lever gun. shots limited to singles in that situation. I have done this with good success, but you get one shot only.

edit to add,,,,, We set a tee post in ground and tied with wire a 6’ post to get the lamps almost 8’ high. We use 2 lamps pointed to cross a little and pointed opposite of where I walk in. a wood closet rod could have been tied to tee post, but we wanted something weather proof. Anyway that height was enough to cover plenty enough for large sounders.

Last edited:
I received the light yesterday. Luckily it was already charged. Played around with it in the house seeing how far it would detect motion & check out the brightness. It had excellent response from 30' away & its pretty bright. I took it out to my feeder, hung it on a tree about 5' off the ground. Set & watched the feeder.. About a hour after dark, a large doe tripped it & spooked! She didn't run far, just out of the light & never came back. I figure I had the light to close?? I'm gonna move it up about 10-12 ft & see how that works.. Is this something they have to get use to??

I think animals have to get used to the lights. could be wrong,,,, I know a lot of does are skittish all the time. we went with lights that stayed on all night and never had a problem. Not a lot bothers hogs like things do deer. Hogs usually run off deer where I hunt. Give it a week or two,,, I think things will settle and you can get some action.

try different bait,,,,,,, for hogs I get apple scented corn. look around roasted soybeans and corn mix. it’s more costly but just use a little. Very aromatic. And of course you can do the sour corn trick. Or go with a PVC pipe.

Warning: Once you start shooting hogs on the run, or walking,,,,standing around shots are boring.
good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
Back