new glass for my 22-250, need some help

Madams

I am replacing my old tried and true 4x16 Weaver with duplex reticle, for something new and flashy. This is where I am torn do I go FFP or SFP. I am looking at these two scopes in the FFP range Burris Veracity 4x20 or its big brother Burris XTR II The XTR is pretty much at the top of the budget. I also was considering SFP with something like a Athlon Midas TAC. I really do like the floating Dot or Cross reticles. For a while I thought about the Sightron S-tac MOA2 or there are some real stellar deals on Bushnell Nitro 5x20s. While having shot FFPs on paper I have only ever shot SFP's on the filed so I am pretty good at Wind calls by minute of Prairie Dog. So I am open to any advice or suggestions you may have. This is on a heavy CZ 550 Kevlar Varmint so weight is not a consideration. Being able to get more accurate and repeatable wind call and hold overs are.

I am open to all suggestions new and used and the very top of the budget is 700-800.

Thank you
Matt

EDIT sorry I am hunt P-dogs. This is a heavy rifle so weight is not a factor. And I mostly do this on the vast winds swept plains of Wyoming.

Last edited:
What are you hunting/shooting?
Coyotes, P dogs, or paper?
If it's coyotes and have to pack it all over in the muck and yuck I'd go to a lower X scope and save some weight.
P dog maybe a little more power but remember the higher the power the more mirage you see from the heat. Paper/ long distance if it is a passion then I would splurge for more scope.
Just my thoughts.

I have 2 Leupold VARMINT HUNTER reticle scopes. 22-250 AI's Once you understand the trajectory of your rifle. All you need to know is the range.
Windage marks out the side work well.

I am not a prairie dog shooter (although I would love to be), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Once I discovered FFP scopes, I never want to shoot anything else. It just makes sense that the reticle and the target at always represent the same value. They are heavier, usually more expensive, and the reticle can get very thin at low magnification...but these tradeoffs are all worth it to me. Just recently, I have finally transitioned every piece of glass I own, save one 1-4x LPVO, to FFP.

I am also a huge Burris XTR fan. I have two of them, and have used and abused them for quite a while. I have no reason to believe the Veracity would be any different, as long as you are OK with MOA as opposed to mils.

My 22-250's wear 2-10, 2.5-8, 2.5-10. I call coyotes so most of mine are under 200 yards with a vast majority under 100. The 2.5-8 is a FFP and I find the fine crosshair a pain early in the morning when the scope is on 2.5x(all mine are on the lowest power until more is needed). I don't dial and can hold on fur to 300 so FFP is no advantage for me.

Sav 10 22-250 Balvar 8(still clear and sharp after 50+ yrs) The turret twisters nightmare.
uT9GMx.jpg

Last edited:
The FFP will come in handy for wind or elevation adjustments either on the fly or by dialing. Less you have to think about. Most of my varmint rifles wear a FFP scope. Necessary? No. Handy? Sure

If you dial your shots,using a rangefinder, focal plane doesn't matter. Than you need to choose a scope based on the quality of the turrets and magnification you need to see prairie dogs precisely. I twist so I love my Sightron stac moa-2's. However the moa2 reticle is not a good early morning/sunset hunting scope, the reticle is to fine. If you want to set and forget and shoot with a ballistic(drop reticle) tree, go ffp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIf you dial your shots,using a rangefinder, focal plane doesn't matter. Than you need to choose a scope based on the quality of the turrets and magnification you need to see prairie dogs precisely. I twist so I love my Sightron stac moa-2's. However the moa2 reticle is not a good early morning/sunset hunting scope, the reticle is to fine. If you want to set and forget and shoot with a ballistic(drop reticle) tree, go ffp.

Twisting turrets works just fine with FFP, and represents no real downside when doing so. With FFP, you have the luxury to dial, hold over, or any combination of both.

Nobody is ranging with their reticle anymore.

I like a simple duplex that tops out at 16-24 power or so for dogging. One can get by with a little less magnification. I just never got into the busy reticles, a rangefinder, yes, edge of fur or more, yes.

Originally Posted By: MadamsI am replacing my old tried and true 4x16 Weaver with duplex reticle, for something new and flashy. This is where I am torn do I go FFP or SFP. I am looking at these two scopes in the FFP range Burris Veracity 4x20 or its big brother Burris XTR II The XTR is pretty much at the top of the budget. I also was considering SFP with something like a Athlon Midas TAC. I really do like the floating Dot or Cross reticles. For a while I thought about the Sightron S-tac MOA2 or there are some real stellar deals on Bushnell Nitro 5x20s. While having shot FFPs on paper I have only ever shot SFP's on the filed so I am pretty good at Wind calls by minute of Prairie Dog. So I am open to any advice or suggestions you may have. This is on a heavy CZ 550 Kevlar Varmint so weight is not a consideration. Being able to get more accurate and repeatable wind call and hold overs are.

I am open to all suggestions new and used and the very top of the budget is 700-800.

Thank you
Matt

EDIT sorry I am hunt P-dogs. This is a heavy rifle so weight is not a factor. And I mostly do this on the vast winds swept plains of Wyoming.

I'm old. I remember if we wanted a good power scope for something like a 22-250 we generally got a 3-9X. Some guy's for longer range got 4-12x And I think back them we even had 5-20x. Today I need a dictionary to figure out what all these thing's they have added on are called! I can remember the days when we looked through a scope and saw cross wire's, that was it. OOP'S! forgot that old Herter range finding reticule with all those circles to look through!

Back