Rifle weight

Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Whats the preferred weight of your carry rifle? I like mine 7.5 LBS or less.

Are these weights with optics or just bare gun weights because even my little CZ 527 17 Hornet with a Vortex HD LH scope weighs in at 8lbs 2oz and that's about the lightest gun I own. My Savage Bmag wears a Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14x40 it's 8lbs 3oz and that's even with the barrel cut back to 20 inches and we all know there is nothing robust or substantial about a Bmag that makes them heavy.

What are these guns and optics packages that get you down to 7.5 lbs or under?

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Whats the preferred weight of your carry rifle? I like mine 7.5 LBS or less.

Are these weights with optics or just bare gun weights because even my little CZ 527 17 Hornet with a Vortex HD LH scope weighs in at 8lbs 2oz and that's about the lightest gun I own. My Savage Bmag wears a Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14x40 it's 8lbs 3oz and that's even with the barrel cut back to 20 inches and we all know there is nothing robust or substantial about a Bmag that makes them heavy.

Yea with scope.. I'm getting old! I like em light.. I have a CZ 527 carbine in 223 that with a burris 2-7x35 weighs in right about the weight mentioned... I also customized a CZ455 Target/Varmint by taking 2" from the bore & re-contoured the barrel.. Re-crowned, Set the barrel back 30 thou, refaced the chamber, (reduced H.S & freebore) & recut the extractor grooves.. This one weighs slightly less even with the 5 rnd mag & strap.. I use a heavier more powerful scope when shooting target which does put it over 8 LBS.. But thats OK, I don't have to pack it & IMO a little extra weight doesn't hurt for target work..

Last edited:
My main big game rifle is about 8 pounds. I backpack a lot so it's handy. My main coyote AR is 12 pounds, but I "run and gun" usually, with stands less than 1/3 of a mile from the truck.

In the winter,snowshoes, shooting prone on the bipod it is hard for me to hold for a headshot on a 300 yard sleeper with a rifle under 9#. Especially with a suppressor, the heart beat jumps the sight. Seems like the lighter the rifle the longer I have to lay behind the rifle to break the shot between beats. I would like to carry a 7.5 rig, but hate to miss.

Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Whats the preferred weight of your carry rifle? I like mine 7.5 LBS or less.

Yea with scope.. I'm getting old! I like em light..
I can certainly appreciate that, so what are the specifics to some of your 7.5lb or less rifles?

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Whats the preferred weight of your carry rifle? I like mine 7.5 LBS or less.

Sorry! I was in a hurry ealier.. I edited my post.. See my reply to ya above..

Yea with scope.. I'm getting old! I like em light..
I can certainly appreciate that, so what are the specifics to some of your 7.5lb or less rifles?

My 22-250 weighs 7.8 without bipod 223 weighs 7.8 with bipod both are Tikka the 223 is the compact.Both have 40mm 3.5 x10 Leupold VARI X III on them

Last edited:
Without going to extremes it's not all that easy to get a scoped rifle below 8lbs. I know we often hear about them and I know they're out there but I think many of them are kind of like those staggering velocities we often hear about only instead of getting stretched up they get shrunk down.

Everyone talks about how light carbon fiber wrapped barrels are. Uh, no not really. I have two of them they're anything but light. My 6mm Creedmoor has a 20 inch Proof CF barrel, MCM Varmint stock that weighs 32oz, built on a SA Rem 700 with fluted bolt and standard BDL hinged bottom metal. The Vortex HST scope weighs 20.8oz sitting in NF .885 Ultralite rings on a NF 20 MOA pic rail. There is nothing particularly heavy nor super lightweight about this build but I was actually a little surprised when it tipped the scale at a little over 9 lbs.

For packing them around light is ok but when it comes to shooting I'll take a 9+ lb'er every time. Except for my little CZ 17 Hornets all of my centerfires are 9+ or 9++ lbs but considering I shoot the Hornets suppressed all the time that technically puts them over 9 also.

Your creedmoore sounds sweet! I couldn't bring myself to care much about my CZ American 17 H.. Probably because I shot a custom 22 K hornet for a long time. The K is the one I wished Id kept..

Also owned the CZ American in 204 R. Can't say that one was really light! But it was a shooter for sure..
Not much of a sub fan! not that there's anything wrong with them!! I just don't have much use for them in my neck of the woods..

This rifle is a 700 action with a 22" Shilen Light Varmint contour barrel at 22", in an AG Alpine Hunter, Mesa Precision DBM, and a Burris XTR-II 3-25x50 in Talley LW rings. With a 5rd mag and Silencerco Harvester, it weights less than 11lb

This one is a 700 in .308 with a Remington 20" SPS Tactical 10 twist barrel at 20", in an AG Alpine stock with Grayboe DBM and a Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 FFP in Talley LW rings. With a 5rd mag and the Harevester, I am hair under 10lb.

Both of these are perfect for me. Light enough to carry, heavy enough to shoot. Both are slightly nose heavy, which makes them ride well in the Eberlestock, and sit on a pair of sticks perfectly.

liliysdad, those are some nice looking pieces you've got there but then again I like about anything built on a Rem 700.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: B23liliysdad, those are some nice looking pieces you've got there but then again I like about anything built on a Rem 700.
thumbup1.gif

Neither of them are fancy, nor do I have that much money in them. I will eventually build something on a custom action, but the 700 has always been good to me....

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: B23liliysdad, those are some nice looking pieces you've got there but then again I like about anything built on a Rem 700.
thumbup1.gif

Neither of them are fancy, nor do I have that much money in them. I will eventually build something on a custom action, but the 700 has always been good to me....

I've got a few full custom rifles and there's no denying they are nice but my semi custom Rem 700 builds seem to shoot just as well.

Heres the first rifle I built back in 2000..Mauser 98 with Cheap barrel, Choate stock, Timney trig.. Caliber- 243 mag.. 24" barrel.. Overbore!! Started life as a 243 until someone got a wild hair.. Very Heavy! weighing in over 10 LBS.. Its very accurate though & pushes 85gr speer BTSP to 3600 FPS..

Last edited:
I have 1 or 2 rifles that weight around 8lbs. but most of mine are 6lbs. and change. My 3 main carry rifles are 6lbs.3oz, 6lbs. 4oz, and 6lbs. 6oz. The first one has a Leu. VX2 2-7X33 on it, the second a Leu. 2.5-8X36, and the third one has a Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40, hence the added weight. This weight is in hunting configuration, slings, scopes, and 5rounds of ammo. All 3 have 22" barrels.
Now the wood stock rifles I carry at times are all between the weights of 6lbs. 10oz to 7lbs. 2oz. and once again in hunting configuration.
I have an early Ruger Ultralight in 223 with a Leupod vx ii 2-7X32 scope on it that in hunting configuration weighs just a tad over 9lbs. That is with a 20" barrel.
A CZ in 9.3X62 is excessive in weight and some day I may put it on a diet. For me if a rifle weights much over 7lbs. it better not have a sporter weight barrel on it.

The 2 rifles below are the first 2 I mentioned in weight. The Bobcat was taken at a tad over 230yds. off shooting sticks, the Coyote at 155yds. and again off shooting sticks. Neither rifle weights over 6 1/2lbs. The scopes have been changed on both rifles since those photo's.

NvVYXyq.jpg

I'm 65 in the photo below and not in the shape I used to be in.
ya7jWqg.jpg

This Deer was taken at a bit over 270yds. and the rifle weights 6lbs. 10oz.

b2y3qSg.jpg

Last edited:
Back