17 hornet vs 22 hornet fur friendly fox/coyote

washxc

Hello, I'm a trapper that is starting a new foray into calling predators at night. I'm in the rolling hills of PA where shots will likely be less than 150 yards. Fur friendly is very important to me as well as a caliber that can dump both fox and coyotes. I've been debating back and forth between 17 hornet and 22 hornet. I have heard great things about the 17 hornet with a 25 grain HP, however Hornady has stopped making that round factory. I don't hand load, so that presents somewhat of a problem. I'm sure I could figure something out if needed. 22 hornet has much more variety available in factory loads. If you could only buy one caliber, which would you prefer? Thanks!

I'm pretty partial to the 22 Hornet, if the choice was woodchuck and fox I'd go with the 17. I've killed fox with the Hornet and coyotes with a 218 Bee, zip experience with the 17.

Hopefully some here can relate some experience with the 17H on coyotes.

Last edited:
Don’t have experience with coyote or fox ( yet) but my cz 22 hornet has taken the place of the all around gun for me.
Low report, multiple factory loads, and is legal for deer. And it’s more accurate than I am. If you do decide to get the 22 hornet I’ll back a cz all the way!

I have had several one shot kills with a 218 B, using factory Winchester 46 gr hollow points, ballistically an identical twin to the Hornets. Have or have had both the 22 and the 17, for coyotes I would take the 22 and keep my distance to 125

Originally Posted By: AWSI'm pretty partial to the 22 Hornet, if the choice was woodchuck and fox I'd go with the 17. I've killed fox with the Hornet and coyotes with a 218 Bee, zip experience with the 17.

Hopefully some here can relate some experience with the 17H on coyotes.

+ 1... But I'm not a sub caliber fan! the 22 hornet can anchor both fox & coyote inside the ranges you mentioned..

i have not killed hundreds of coyotes with my 17hh. but i have killed several dozen with it. using a hornady 25gr hp it has done fantastic if the bullet is put where it supposed to be. turns the inside parts of a coyote to jelly. it really is kind of magical.

Mine is a Ruger 77 K Hornet. I've never killed a coyote with it but have killed a few turtles and if it does to a coyote what it did to those turtles....it will keeeel!!

My son shoots a CZ 17 hornet K.
It is a coyote killing machine. His go-to coyote gun. The wind is a factor but once you get that worked out blast away. I have seen him take out a heavy Montana pale running full tilt at 250 yards, outstanding round.
Is it the best no but it is way ahead of many others?

If only those 2 choices, I'd say neither (unless you handload) which you said you didn't do.

Just guessing here but I would think any factory rounds available will be aimed towards prairie dogs n such and not for coyotes. Just a guess?

I have never owned a .17 Hornet but the .22 Hornet can be pretty rough on fox fur as can the .22 Magnum.

17 Hornet no question. You can reload the 17 Hornet and slow it down. I have taken numerous fox and coyote out past 150yds. My farthest shot to date 230 plus yds. at night. I have not experienced a spinner nor runner. They have all drop where they stood as if hit by lightning. Now years ago, my first coyote with my CZ 17 HH was shot with the 20gr Vmax at 120yds, chest shot the bullet traveled 17 inches thru his chest and it blew 1 1/2 inch hole out the other side after hitting ribs. I since then have experimented with different reloads and found the 25gr.HP. loaded down to 2950fps. is magic. I have preformed Necropsy on multiple animals out of curiosity. I will send anyone pics, but I will not put them on here for antis to use against us.

I have a CZ .17 Hornet and I cut the barrel to 18" and threaded for my suppressor. The rifle is very quiet and I have killed fox,bobcats and coyotes with mine out to 200 yards. Shots need to be picked carefully. I'm using the factory 15.5 grain load and has killed everything I shot so far. So far to coyotes at that 200 yard range. One went 40 to 50 yards before dieing and the other was DRT. I would say with your 150 yard limit your good to go.

Brent, I have never used the 15.5 NTX. But I did see Eric Mayer video where he dropped a bobcat in its tracks. I thought about giving them a try but was concerned about wind effect out pass 100yds. Have you shot them in 10mph or above wind?

Brent, did you start with the 21 inch or 24 inch CZ? I'm going to thread mine for a suppressor as well. I have a line on a 24 inch 17 Hornet that just came in today, though a 21 inch is supposed to be there next week.

Originally Posted By: washxcBrent, did you start with the 21 inch or 24 inch CZ? I'm going to thread mine for a suppressor as well. I have a line on a 24 inch 17 Hornet that just came in today, though a 21 inch is supposed to be there next week.

If you're going to screw a can on the end I'd definitely get the varmint model. If you don't like or want the longer barrel on the Varmint model CZ you can always have it cut down to whatever you want when you have it in being threaded. I have two CZ Varmint model 17 Hornets and I had one of them cut back to 21in when it was in being threaded. I think the Varmint model barrel contour is better suited for hanging a suppressor on the end than is the CZ American model.

Back