Looking for 6.5 Grendel upper

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I know timing stinks right now, but a landowner I was shooting pigs with the other night wants a 6.5 Grendel upper. He was carrying his AR10 in 308 stalking pigs at night and the weight was killing him. He wants something with more power than the 556 or 300 BO, but on the AR15 platform for lighter weight. That leaves him at Grendel or 6.8 since he doesn't reload. He prefers Grendel.

He is looking for a complete upper, probably 16" or 18" barrel. Threaded for suppressor a plus. I have been looking but can't find one. Anyone got any leads on something decent to good quality? It will probably see some hard use. He has lots of land and lots of pigs to kill. It will be for a thermal setup.

The only one that I am finding is Bear Creek. They have a 16in that will fit the bill. But I don't have any experience with them in 6.5 grendel. I don't know how much they weigh. I have used 4 of their 450bm uppers for some deer rifles and they shoot very well.

Is 6.5G ammo easier to find than 6.8 in your area?

For a 5.56 upper the 62 grain Federal Fusion would probably work very well if you can find them.

Thanks, I will pass that along. I think he will prefer a 16” lightweight, but he can make the call on that. Thanks for passing it along.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinThe only one that I am finding is Bear Creek. They have a 16in that will fit the bill. But I don't have any experience with them in 6.5 grendel. I don't know how much they weigh. I have used 4 of their 450bm uppers for some deer rifles and they shoot very well.

ive got one of their 20" grendel uppers and it shoots factory 123gr black sub moa. its run flawless for me to date, although my tube does NOT like the 123gr sst factory ammo (like 5+ MOA - i thought my scope had come loose!). but some online google stuff shows that to be relatively common with the hornady custom 123gr load - either your gun loves it or hates it.

i have yet to get around to testing the 123 SST with handloads, but plan to. Mine happens to be the 5R barrel they sell from time to time, so i dunno if that has any relation to it.

otherwise its been flawless in its function - so yes on an upvote for the BCA Grendel's

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies?spec_caliber=340&stock=1

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX

He is looking for a complete upper, probably 16" or 18" barrel. Threaded for suppressor a plus. I have been looking but can't find one. Anyone got any leads on something decent to good quality? It will probably see some hard use. He has lots of land and lots of pigs to kill. It will be for a thermal setup.

if your buddy decides he wants to build instead of buy a complete...

i've got a 16" m4 profile, carbine gas, 1:8 twist, 5/8x24 threaded, Melonite 6.5 Grendel BCA takeoff thats completely unfired that i'd be willing to sell.

I bought a complete upper from BCA for an eventual 6mm ARC build for the barrel swap only convenience.

shoot me a PM if thats something that ends up being interesting to him.

retail price of that barrel is $149
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-...tem-w-1-8-twist

Not sure if he's still looking for a grendel upper, but there were two grendel barrel/bolt combos listed on snipershide over the weekend.

I have a Bear Creek 24" 6.5grendel upper. It shoots 3/4" holes at 100 yards with some handloaded 107TMKs that I didn't really work very hard on developing a load for... I have a few hundred rounds down the tube and have not had a single malfunction. It has been very reliable. I also just purchased 2 more of their uppers in .223wylde for my son and my dad's AR-15s. I must say, I like the side charging option they offer in their guns... I'm thinking all of the AR's that I buy from here on out will be side chargers.

Originally Posted By: LittleAndy I must say, I like the side charging option they offer in their guns... I'm thinking all of the AR's that I buy from here on out will be side chargers.

that side charging thing does become an addiction - especially for uppers with optics.

i built my first one... just over 4 years ago now... i've done everything i can since then to build the rest that way
smile.gif

If your still looking for a upper I have a Alexander arms 16 inch with a Daniel defense hand guard with the flip up frt sight,if interested PM me.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: LittleAndy I must say, I like the side charging option they offer in their guns... I'm thinking all of the AR's that I buy from here on out will be side chargers.

that side charging thing does become an addiction - especially for uppers with optics.

i built my first one... just over 4 years ago now... i've done everything i can since then to build the rest that way
smile.gif

my next upper is going to be a side charger. I have raptor charging handles on all four of my uppers currently which provide good scope clearance, but I could see how the side charger would be great with optics.

PSA price gouges worse than Cheaper Than Dirt does. That upper used to be around $350 to $400. What a shame. I bought an Acme 18” grendel upper back in October. It’s a darn fine upper for the $. Great shooter.

Back